VDH Opening

Just purchased 150 points at VDH. We have 100 points resale at Aulani, which we love. As Californians, Disneyland is our home resort and I’ve always kicked myself for not buying into VGC 15 years ago. I thought about just buying 60 or so points at VDH and keeping it small, but with the incentives at 150 points (including magical beginnings) and the point difference between winter and summer, it made sense to give us some flexibility and have more points. I’ve thought about trying to get a VGC resale contract, but the upfront cost for VGC just made it tough even with all the math above (which I ran through myself when going over all this!). And it will be nice to have some unrestricted points. I would say - if you’re looking at buying into a Disneyland property and DVC makes sense for you (which is a big if) I wouldn’t hesitate to get VDH. VGC isn’t really a fair comparison - yes you can find a resale contract, but it is a lot harder now, and the upfront cost difference is not insignificant. VDH will give you a nice room, in a Disney hotel, near the park, for a good cost that will only look better as the years go on. Good luck to all trying to make a decision!

Just purchased 150 points at VDH. We have 100 points resale at Aulani, which we love. As Californians, Disneyland is our home resort and I’ve always kicked myself for not buying into VGC 15 years ago. I thought about just buying 60 or so points at VDH and keeping it small, but with the incentives at 150 points (including magical beginnings) and the point difference between winter and summer, it made sense to give us some flexibility and have more points. I’ve thought about trying to get a VGC resale contract, but the upfront cost for VGC just made it tough even with all the math above (which I ran through myself when going over all this!). And it will be nice to have some unrestricted points. I would say - if you’re looking at buying into a Disneyland property and DVC makes sense for you (which is a big if) I wouldn’t hesitate to get VDH. VGC isn’t really a fair comparison - yes you can find a resale contract, but it is a lot harder now, and the upfront cost difference is not insignificant. VDH will give you a nice room, in a Disney hotel, near the park, for a good cost that will only look better as the years go on. Good luck to all trying to make a decision!
Welcome home neighbor!

We bought 150 points (three 50 point contracts), and took advantage of Magical Beginnings (MM) rebate in May. In June, we bought another 150 points (also split into 50 point contracts), used to book a weekend on my birthday for Oogie Boogie in October, so no MM.

Our rationale for splitting and paying the 3x closing cost:
1. Three daughters - we like the option of being able to gift each a contract after they turn 18.
2. Flexibility of selling small points contracts - we figure we'd recoup the extra cost in closing fees and then some.
3. Explore renting out half the points to subsidize the cost of annual dues and buy down the all-in cost per point per year.

Esteemed math nerds and spreadsheet heros, please give me insight into why we should be regretting our rationale...

Last edited:
Three daughters - we like the option of being able to gift each a contract after they turn 18.
Just keep in mind that different owners = different memberships. So if each daughter gets one contract, you’ll have three memberships and will have to transfer points around in order to use them together on a reservation.

Just keep in mind that different owners = different memberships. So if each daughter gets one contract, you’ll have three memberships and will have to transfer points around in order to use them together on a reservation.
Will it become a new membership if we add all three girls onto the 3 contracts with us?

Or do we need to just add them on every contract under that particular “membership umbrella”?

Say…all three after 18 is added onto each contract under that UY (9 separate contracts).

So jealous of all you VDH owners. Arghh!! I wanna buy!

Go for it amigo! Yea the tax and other things are not that great, but I'm sure 10 to 15 years from now when you are checking out of a few night stay and only paying 200 to 300 bucks in tax that will seem like a deal if rack rates keep going up like they have. And if the Disneyland Forever happens.... then this property will "almost" have the same charm as VGC :)

Will it become a new membership if we add all three girls onto the 3 contracts with us?

Or do we need to just add them on every contract under that particular “membership umbrella”?

Say…all three after 18 is added onto each contract under that UY (9 separate contracts).

Contracts must be owned by all the same people to be kept in the same membership.

So, if you have 9 contracts in your membership, then to keep them that way, you have to add all the girls to every one.

So jealous of all you VDH owners. Arghh!! I wanna buy!
Yaaaaaasss. The tax made us pause and think more carefully about many points but then decided we’re all in. Not quite the deal but yes if you stay in Anaheim got it going to be paying some tax (though it sure is a lot in comparison to many places). But… love me a Disney bubble and having 11 mo especially since sometimes we’ll want duo and sometimes 1-3 bedroom and like @NVDISFamily said *if* Disneyland Forward happens it’s going to seem even more awesome. Come on in - the water’s fine! :)

Go for it amigo! Yea the tax and other things are not that great, but I'm sure 10 to 15 years from now when you are checking out of a few night stay and only paying 200 to 300 bucks in tax that will seem like a deal if rack rates keep going up like they have. And if the Disneyland Forever happens.... then this property will "almost" have the same charm as VGC :)
Yaaaaaasss. The tax made us pause and think more carefully about many points but then decided we’re all in. Not quite the deal but yes if you stay in Anaheim got it going to be paying some tax (though it sure is a lot in comparison to many places). But… love me a Disney bubble and having 11 mo especially since sometimes we’ll want duo and sometimes 1-3 bedroom and like @NVDISFamily said *if* Disneyland Forward happens it’s going to seem even more awesome. Come on in - the water’s fine! :)
Enablers you all are! And I love y’all for it!

We used to have this before it went on sale but it kind of died - https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...el-dvc-thread-see-post-1-for-updates.3807808/

I'd love to help, but I'm not always great with the amount of free time I have from time to time. I nominate @UrsulaWantsYourSoul as someone who could take up our banner and get a thread going :)
I second the nomination! Will offer to help. Thought about starting it but not enough free time at the moment.

Perhaps a cool titled.

The VDH Owners of Disneyland Exclusive Thread
Disneyland VDH Owners Pixie Dust Thread
Owners of Disneyland VDH Resort

Thoughts???

It’s important to distinguish between contracts and memberships. Right now you have 9 contracts and one membership, right? Each contract has your name and your spouse’s name as owners, correct?

As Sandi explained, to keep all contracts in the same membership, you would have to add all three daughters to all 9 contracts. If you add daughter A as an owner to 3 contracts, and daughter B as an owner to 3 different contracts, and daughter C as an owner to the other 3 contracts, you will end up with 3 separate memberships, because the owners of the contracts in one membership are different from the owners of the contracts in the other membership.

PS If you search this forum, you’ll find discussions of the pros and cons of adding adult children to your contracts. DVC is real estate and is regarded as an asset. So being an owner, even a co-owner, can affect eligibility for college financial aid, be involved in divorce, etc. It sounds like you have some time before your daughters turn 18, so you have time to consider it carefully to be sure it’s the right thing for your family.

Keep in mind that Grand Cali owners always pay their taxes via dues. And if they are not able to book a VGC room, then VDH is the only other DVC Cali option (if they are VGC direct). Meaning they will pay taxes twice.

If a VDH owner books at Grand Cali then no taxes paid whatsoever.

If visiting Disneyland is the goal us VDH direct owners will have more flexibility and likelihood of getting a DVC room.

Pluses and minuses. Kudos to those VGC direct owners that got in two decades ago.

I second the nomination! Will offer to help. Thought about starting it but not enough free time at the moment.

Perhaps a cool titled.

The VDH Owners of Disneyland Exclusive Thread
Disneyland VDH Owners Pixie Dust Thread
Owners of Disneyland VDH Resort

Thoughts???
Please don’t include “exclusive” in the title of your thread. This is not that other social media site where someone who is not an owner would not be “approved” to read and learn and ask questions about VDH. The chances of my becoming an owner of VDH are essentially nil, but you can be sure I’ll want to read your thread when planning a stay there, because I’ll know that’s where the most accurate and up to date information will be. That’s probably the reason that some resort-specific threads are “owners and lovers” threads.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter