Vero treasures and hidden secrets

CaptainMidnight

DIS Veteran
In another thread I learned that you can get two adjoining Inn rooms with a connecting door between them, something I didn't know. I thought a thread specific to some of the nuances of the resort and it's hidden treasures that help make is special might teach me more and be worthwhile to share.

I've always wondered what the room directly above Shutters is for, as I look through the windows from the outside of the resort, it has a huge flag hanging in it. Someone said that shutters is actually two stories and that the flag is in the top of shutters. I didn't realize that.

Last trip was the first time we saw the television room back past the restrooms, beyond the large cannon. There are small meeting rooms back there and a television room where the teens were meeting in for a Disney movie as one of the activities. Looked like a great room, nice to see it is available. I guess this was the old sales office area? Great it is being converted to some alternative uses. Sometimes where those summer rains hit, it's nice to have interior space.

Two trips ago the business office and internet setup was a great help. It was just one computer upstairs that you could log into to get on the net for $10 per hour. Big help to finish an assignment.

Someone also shared how nice the balcony was off of the laundry room to look out over the lake.

I believe the exercise room is open 24hrs, it's not in a location to bother anyone. Not a huge room, but packed with great equipment and two TVs.

There's a store at the public beach just north of the resort that had icecream. Nice walk along the beach.

What are some other hidden treasures, less obvious advantages, resort perks that everyone might not be aware of?

We also enjoy the balcony off the laundry room.

Can't think of any hidden secrets right now but I'm anxious to see other posts.

Here are some of the idiosyncrisies I know about VB, many are not that much of a secret though. I believe there's a way to generate a 3 BR unit with a studio and a 2 BR together. My understanding is that there are a number of corner and odd rooms that can sleep 5 and a couple that can even sleep 6. Whether you're eating at Sonja's or Shutters, you can order off either menu. While they apparently weren't there our last trip, apparently there are gas grills across the road, through the tunnel.

There are a couple of books with menu's in the concierge area and most of the restaurants give a special to DVC members which may be a free drink, desert or 10% off. Most will do this even with the early bird specials. Unfortunately I've heard that you can no longer check out metal detectors from the resort, that was a nice option.

If they're still doing the Sea Turtle program, that was a nice option but you must know when they hold he lottery to have a chance at participating. Members can get 10% off member apparel, I think it's on Tuesday. The mini golf tourney is free and a great way to do the mini golf since they charge members a small fee otherwise.

Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
Two trips ago the business office and internet setup was a great help. It was just one computer upstairs that you could log into to get on the net for $10 per hour. Big help to finish an assignment.

That comes in handy when you don't want to bring a lap top when you are flying down.I used the business center also last summer.

Just found out this week that there are a couple of INN rooms on the 3rd and 4th floor that have 1 King bed instead of 2 beds,which is ideal for 2 people. :D

There are boat and waverunner rentals at a nearby marina
http://www.hirams.com/index.cfm?Method=MoreFun

I wrote the resort and asked them what the prices were to compare against the prices along the beach, but unfortunately the Marketing Director at Capt. Hiram's Resort said that the company (Sebastian Watercraft Rentals) rents boats and jetski's from thier marina which is independently owned and operated. The phone number is (772) 589-5560 - after hours (321) 863-3626. I didn't invest in a long distance phone call to find out the prices and was dissapointed that the Marketing Director wasn't willing to take the extra step to type those prices into the e-mail request I sent. There are also some nice other entertainment options listed on the site which are pretty close to the resort.

This may be a little off the mark, but we think the best "hidden" treasure for VB is DODGERTOWN!

Great thread......We will be in VB 2/14 to 2/19.
The plan is to find some hidden treasures, and pass them on.
Wishing for warm weather, we are frozen here in NY.
Would love to hear about some good kid place to eat.

Originally posted by Dean
Members can get 10% off member apparel, I think it's on Tuesday.

Unfortunately, this perk has been eliminated Dean. I used to wait until (I believe Wednesdays) to buy DVC logo items...now, I just don't buy.

Jose

Member's day is Wednesday. You can get a discount on specialty drinks at teh Green Cabin Room (Specialty Drinks Only as we found out the hard way), and free activities like free putt putt golf, I'm not sure of the others.

I'm sorry to hear that the members discount on merchandise was elliminated.

Captain Midnight,

You mean that member golf is free every day, right.

Whenever we have been there it has been $2.00 for guests and free for members-all you had to do was get the ball and putters from Eb and Flo's.

Your post is the second I've seen regarding members paying for mini golf.

Does anyone know if it is free and if it is not, when did it change?

It was $1.00 per player for members except for wednesday when I was there. Not expensive enough to be concerned about.

My apology, I think my post is starting to head us in the wrong direction. This thread wasn't intended to complain about anything, certainly not the price of golf. My intention in starting this was to collect all the great things about visiting Vero Beach, and perhaps some of the nuances and little extras that everyone may not be aware of. Sorry to get us off track.

I'm hoping we can use this thread to share fun activities and the the things that makes Vero Special.

- Our prayers go out to our fallen Heroes and thier families. -

I wasn't complaining, just curious.

Thought it might be considered a "hidden treasure" to someone if they knew it was free.

Originally posted by jsinohio
Unfortunately, this perk has been eliminated Dean. I used to wait until (I believe Wednesdays) to buy DVC logo items...now, I just don't buy.

Jose
Sorry to hear that, it's been a couple of years since we've been to VB, I know it was eliminated earlier at OKW but was still going at VB at the time. Last time we were there the golf was $1 for members and $2 for non members.

Got some more information about boat rentals from Captian Hirams. They say:

"All of our prices include fuel, and ice for the cooler on the boats. I have 4 new boats 2002-2003, all in excellent condition. Our inventory includes a Deck Boat, Pontoon Boat, twos Center Consoles, plus 4 Yamaha Wave Runners, that seat 3.
- The Deck boat seats 11 passengers it's $350.00 full day, and $250.00 half day.
- The Pontoon Boat seats 10, it's $225.00 full day, $175.00 half day.
- The 21 ft.Center Console seats 9 it's $325.00 full day, $$225.00 half day.
- The 19 ft. Center Console seats 7 it's $295.00 full day, $195.00 half day.
- The Wave Runners are $85.00 hr. and $45.00 half hr.

We also do island parties where we set up the food & drinks, tables, chairs, sun canopy, and,whatever boats and wave runners you want to use for the day. We also provide a captain to shuttle the passengers out to the island and to drive the boat if you want. Their are some nice islands right in front of Capt. Hiram's, it takes 5 min. to get to them. If you interested in this we can work up a price based on the number of people and the equipment you would want for the day.

Chris McCallister
Sebastian Watercraft Rentals
772-589-5560
cell 321-863-3626"

Thanks CaptainMidnight!

I will add this to my list of possibilities while at Vero.

Our family likes to go to the "authentic" Mexican restaurant up the road in Sebastian. The service is usually bad but the food is true.

Thanks CaptainMidnight .
We love the wave runners and I can almost feel the ocean spray on my face.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter