Video of false alarm on the Wonder

As demonstrated at the Costa Concordia, I'm not sure it was impossible to save those people.
And the Korean (I believe) ferry a little later, where people were told to return to their cabins while the ship was going down

The Concordia was a demonstration of everything that could go wrong - starting with a captain showboating for his girlfriend by sailing way too close to shore and then delaying the call to Muster far too long. A lot was learned by the cruise industry from that - including the requirement to have Muster Drill before sailing. Of course, they expect passengers to pay attention, which the lady filming this one and saying "I don't know what's going on. I don't know what to do" clearly demonstrates does not happen.

I don't follow the ferry industry enough to know what their protocols are.

As demonstrated at the Costa Concordia, I'm not sure it was impossible to save those people.
And the Korean (I believe) ferry a little later, where people were told to return to their cabins while the ship was going down
Hopefully we never have to find out if the plans they have in place would actually work.

ugh. I can't imagine being told to go back to my cabin and actually STAYING there. Frankly, when my muster station is in the theater, I feel a little apprehensive about packing into a crowded enclosed space in the event of an actual emergency.

ugh. I can't imagine being told to go back to my cabin and actually STAYING there. Frankly, when my muster station is in the theater, I feel a little apprehensive about packing into a crowded enclosed space in the event of an actual emergency.
You better be able to think for yourself in any emergency. The people telling you do this or that haven’t experienced it either. There just following a plan that they were told to follow.

DCL kids club bands used to be like this, before they went to the magic bands. They would have the child's name, age group, and muster station in large letters printed on the plastic band. It was great for meeting characters, etc. because they often seemed to know a child's name the first time they met - and it's all because they were great at reading kids club bands! That little bit of magic (and the immediate muster station info) got left behind in favor of newer/better technology. I wouldn't be surprised if the muster info is on the kid's profile in the computer, though, just in case. There's no reason not to store that data.
I'm now envisioning character costumes with built in scanners and Heads Up Display

OK..I just watched this video 3 times. I am stunned. Absolutely stunned at the ignorance of this woman. Not only was she unaware she needed to head to her room and get her life vest and report to her muster station, she clearly did not even recognize the SHRILLING blasts as an alarm.

Video starts out she is video taping a towel folding class. the 7 short blasts start and you can see the people in the class, children included jump up. She then pans the camera around her and we see on multiple levels people starting to move to their staterooms. She doesn't seem to understand what is causing all this commotion. She spins the camera back around to catch the mass exodus from the class and she says: "Huh, class is oveeeeer. What is going on?"

WTH??? She then wanders out onto the outside deck, passing crew as she goes, filming EVERYBODY ELSE ON THE SHIP HEADING TO THEIR STATEROOM. She seems perplexed when she gets outside, has no idea what is happening, and even asks someone on the deck if this happens often. ????????

"Excuse me sir, does this cruise line often blast the emergency signal of 7 short blasts followed by one long blast, informing us that we need to get our life jacket and report to our muster station, outside of the muster drill??"

Many people on this thread have asked why the crew members she passed did not tell her to do what EVERYBODY ELSE WAS DOING. I say, natural selection.

As I have read some comments of people watching this false alarm, concerns about their kids being in other parts of the ship. May I suggest that as a family, you have your own drill? Make sure everybody knows exactly where to go and when. then have a dry run. If you agree to meet in the stateroom, make sure that everyone has a time limit, in case one person can't get there. Say you were hurt, do you want your 15 year old waiting for you in the stateroom, or at the muster station? Their should be a time limit on waiting in the stateroom.

At least this one kind of knew what to do. Plus the person doing the class reminded them.

If you notice that both these people were in that same towel folding class (you can see the second video lady with the captain hat in the first video) and had different reactions to the alarm.:rolleyes:

If you notice that both these people were in that same towel folding class and had different reactions to the alarm.:rolleyes:

I thought this was on the Wonder and the other was Fantasy. Now I am all confused. Because the first one I did not hear the leader say "That was the emergency signal"

I thought this was on the Wonder and the other was Fantasy. Now I am all confused. Because the first one I did not hear the leader say "That was the emergency signal"
I think she left the room before they said that. I think the siren had completed all of the blasts before the leader said that, in the first one she walked out of the room and was standing on the landing while the blasts were still going.

I think she left the room before they said that. I think the siren had completed all of the blasts before the leader said that, in the first one she walked out of the room and was standing on the landing while the blasts were still going.

Gotcha. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter