Villas at Disneyland Hotel - Resale

CanadianDVC2024

Earning My Ears
Im thinking seriously about purchasing a resale VDH contract and would love some input.

We’ve compared buying direct vs. resale and we think resale is better for a couple reasons

1. We’re Canadian and certain incentives for buying direct don’t apply to us (ie welcome home). So the price per point will likely remain north of $200 for us.

2. While I know there are restrictions, we genuinely want to have this contract to stay solely at VDH which we currently can’t because our other contracts are resale and not grandfathered.

3. If we buy resale at a decent price, if we choose to sell again later the drop-off won’t be as significant because we’re not selling a contract that was purchased direct at a high price per point.

With all that being said, I’d love some input on anything I may have missed and what is a decent price per point offer?

Im thinking seriously about purchasing a resale VDH contract and would love some input.

We’ve compared buying direct vs. resale and we think resale is better for a couple reasons

1. We’re Canadian and certain incentives for buying direct don’t apply to us (ie welcome home). So the price per point will likely remain north of $200 for us.

2. While I know there are restrictions, we genuinely want to have this contract to stay solely at VDH which we currently can’t because our other contracts are resale and not grandfathered.

3. If we buy resale at a decent price, if we choose to sell again later the drop-off won’t be as significant because we’re not selling a contract that was purchased direct at a high price per point.

With all that being said, I’d love some input on anything I may have missed and what is a decent price per point offer?
Personally, I would not buy VDH resale at anywhere near these prices and give up all of the flexibility for 49 years to save a small amount of money up front (relative to the total lifetime estimated spending on the contract).

The ability to waitlist VGC, go to Hawaii and AUL once in a while, pop over to FL…. and what if they build Disney FWD and build some great new properties over the next 10-years…. do you want to be locked out of those properties?

I am not sure we use a true market value for VDH yet.

I think those selling now are likely in a position that they can’t take much less than asking.

However, I am also one who believes that no one should buy DVC with resale value in mind. If you get it for a price that works for you and plan to own it for long enough, then it’s a good deal!

Being Canadian and west coast I definitely understand the desire to buy in at Disneyland, and with VGC resale being sky high I get not wanting to try there. I don't think you are missing anything per se but I would say the resale pricing for VDH is pretty darn high - I see pricing from $163 to $189. I am just not sure it's worth it for say a $50 discount per point - if you need 150 points that's just $7,500. So an upfront $7,500 more to buy direct, vs $7,500 savings to buy resale, but over the course of nearly 50 years - that's not worth it to me for the restrictions.

Our plan is to use non-VGC resale points at VGC when we can, but to just stay offsite on Harbor at Disneyland when we can't.

Take into consideration the Transient Occupancy Tax at Villas at Disneyland Hotel, I believe this year it is still $2.73 per point, but will go up every year. In a Studio this year it will cost anywhere from $36.14 - $94.52 per night extra. Google search the current chart "2024 Transient Occupancy Tax Chart"

Last edited:
I don’t know if VGC resale is something you are considering as well. You don’t have to pay the transient occupancy tax, and it has its own direct entrance into California Adventure. The resale prices have been trending down and contacts seem to be sitting longer. There’s several near the $250 per point range.

I don’t know if VGC resale is something you are considering as well. You don’t have to pay the transient occupancy tax, and it has its own direct entrance into California Adventure. The resale prices have been trending down and contacts seem to be sitting longer. There’s several near the $250 per point range.
That's incorrect. If you buy VGC you do pay the transient tax it is in the dues but is pretty small comparably. If you stay at VGC you do not have to pay anything additional though whether you are the owner or 7 month in to the resort.

I'm seeing VDH resale $163 (32% less) to $189 (21% less).
DVC direct without incentives $239.
If you buy direct, depending on the amount of points, and can do the magical beginnings where they buy the first year of points, it probably gets closer to $200. I am not sure if Canadians are eligible for magical beginnings. I would talk to a guide and figure out what your total out of pocket would be and see how that price per point compares to the resale contracts currently available

Offering some points on buying VDH resale. We bought direct for the flexibility of booking at both VDH or VGC (or anywhere really). But with VGC having far fewer rooms its likely we'll be staying at VDH which we're ok with.

Here goes. Hope this helps:

(+)
* About a 30% resale saving over direct at the moment
* VDH direct cost (excluding incentives) likely to only go up from here
* Once fully declared, lots more room inventory for booking at 11 or 7 month mark over VGC
* Uniquely Disney themed and has that new fresh home smell

(-)
* Deed restricted to only staying at VDH
* Transient hotel tax for staying on points (more than VGC tax in dues but less than DL Hotel taxes - I think)
* Direct sale price is less than 50% part of the story. Consider the longer term maintenance costs for how long you plan to keep the contract. Might as well factor in the transient tax to your stays / calculations as you'll only be using your points at VDH.

(?)
* Early in the VDH resale market. My guess is it only goes up from here but who knows for sure at this point.
* Astro I think mentioned that Disneyland Forward may bring another DVC property in the future. But that's probably 10'ish plus years in the making but again not sure.
* Will VDH sky rocket in pricing like its sister VGC or not? Probably not as high but will the California limited DVC trend push prices up over the next 10+ years?

Lastly, how bad do you and your family want it? Is this the place you want to stay and vacation? With all these numbers and limitations it can be difficult to factor in the human part. As long as you're happy with the choice and understand the options that's what matters.

Good luck....

I entered 150 points to the DVC online add on tool and got a saving value back of $1,650.
That’s still $11pp…. I just don’t see the value in VDH resale at these prices…. restricted points are just not the same value proposition and I think the resale market will go a lot lower when we get to 5-years past opening.

And I have stayed at VDH twice and don’t own there.

Even for West Coast buyers…. it’s still boxes you out of Grand Cal, Aulani, and any DL Fwd without that much of a savings relative to what you will spend over the holding period of the contract.

I cannot say what a decent resale price would be for you but you have a well defined plan to use it only for VDH so I agree with the thought that you might as well have at least some of the "depreciation" built in with a resale purchase. The resale price is likely to drop further though, IMO, than what it is currently, if that matters. The trade off is not having your own use if you tried waiting for a drop.
I think others may have missed that you have other resale contracts that as long as they aren't RIV will allow you stays at Aulani, VGC etc. and that all only matters if you ever want to try and stay at any of the other resorts.

In the end any DLH owners that go to sell will be selling points that become restricted. By starting out resale you'd end up coming at it with a lower input cost.

I think this is exactly our thinking. Also I misspoke, we do get the welcome home incentive but not the magical beginnings incentive.

We do have other contracts and we hope to continue to add on even more contracts.

We’re looking to diversify and have about 800 points total at our disposal.

We’d like to have about 2 contracts at WDW worth about 300-400 points. 1 sub contract at Aulani (holding hope for this one) at about 200-250 and 1 contract at DL for about 150 points.

We mainly only want to go to Disneyland for their Oogie Boogie Bash.

I cannot say what a decent resale price would be for you but you have a well defined plan to use it only for VDH so I agree with the thought that you might as well have at least some of the "depreciation" built in with a resale purchase. The resale price is likely to drop further though, IMO, than what it is currently, if that matters. The trade off is not having your own use if you tried waiting for a drop.
I think others may have missed that you have other resale contracts that as long as they aren't RIV will allow you stays at Aulani, VGC etc. and that all only matters if you ever want to try and stay at any of the other resorts.

In the end any DLH owners that go to sell will be selling points that become restricted. By starting out resale you'd end up coming at it with a lower input cost.

If you buy direct, depending on the amount of points, and can do the magical beginnings where they buy the first year of points, it probably gets closer to $200. I am not sure if Canadians are eligible for magical beginnings. I would talk to a guide and figure out what your total out of pocket would be and see how that price per point compares to the resale contracts currently available
Canadians are not eligible for Magical Beginnings.

The ToT for VGC is 0.51$ per point each year (or something like that- maybe 57 cents?) and it’s folded into dues. This for us works out to be 86.70$ annually as part of our dues. Granted we pay that regardless if we use our VGC points elsewhere or skip a year. But I’d much rather pay that than the ToT at VDH - 2.73$ per point per night which 1 week in a 1 br would be roughly 611$ even in the lowest point season.

A VGC resale contract couldn’t be used at VDH but it would have advantages over a VDH resale in that it can be used at DVC1.0 resorts, lower ToT, and location.

I think this is exactly our thinking. Also I misspoke, we do get the welcome home incentive but not the magical beginnings incentive.

We do have other contracts and we hope to continue to add on even more contracts.

We’re looking to diversify and have about 800 points total at our disposal.

We’d like to have about 2 contracts at WDW worth about 300-400 points. 1 sub contract at Aulani (holding hope for this one) at about 200-250 and 1 contract at DL for about 150 points.

We mainly only want to go to Disneyland for their Oogie Boogie Bash.

You can easily rent out the VDH points if you purchased direct, in fact you will likely get more than $20pp for them if you rent them on your own.

I would not purchase resale at VDH at this point in time. I think Disney will have a tough time selling this resort especially with the Transient Tax. There are several FB posts of people who bought claiming not to know about this tax (although its everywhere in their documents). Disney had a tough time selling VGC when it first opened. If the same is true for VDH, some heft incentives may be coming.

Regardless, buying VDH resale without really knowing the ballpark price on where the market is landing is too risky IMO.

I'm in the "buy direct" camp all day on this one if VDH is your jam.

My view is it isn't going anywhere.... I'd hold off on buying...

As more contracts enter I suspect that the prices will start trending downward.... This resort has so many problems - high dues (which increased significantly), TOT, and resale restrictions...

I don't think the resale market has adjusted to where the price is ultimately going to land.

If you're truly only doing to use it at DL I'd personally wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter