• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VIP tour for teen birthday?

EllinK

DIS Veteran
It would be a total extravagance for us but I'm thinking of a VIP tour (plaid!) for my son's upcoming big birthday. We have not done a VIP tour but it has long been a bucket list item for me. Do you think teens would enjoy it? I'm thinking my son would invite a few friends. DH and I may also tag along and possibly invite a few friends so that he can hang out with his friends w/o us. What do you think?

We did this when my girls were 12 and 16 and they LOVED it. The plaids do a great job of interacting with the people in your party and we got some awesome photos on some of the rides with our plaid. Plus they can go on whatever they like over and over. My girls also loved having the reserved seating at Fantasmic that came with it ... not sure what will be going on when you're there but that was awesome.

We r going for Halloween. Would it be weird to have 2 groups—the adults and the teens? Very much want the cast member to focus on the teens.

Absolutely. I got to join in on a VIP tour and the whole mission was to see how many attractions we could pack into the tour window. We had a great guide who was on board and it was an absolute blast!...exhausting, but a blast.

As long as there is a +18 on the tour, the adults can also dip out and relax at a bar or lounge for a bit. Everyone is not required to stick together, you just can't add anyone on the tour above your initial 10 people.

What a great gift! We did a tour with then 11 and 10 year olds and they had a blast. We have one in a couple weeks with the same kids (one of which is a teen) and they are super jazzed.

Warning, get ready for them to want this experience over and over again :) Makes for just such a GREAT day.

You know your child best. But to be devil's advocate, there are people who might not enjoy it because it is not 'their' gift, it is a gift to the family. Example, you sometimes see this with people whose birthday falls on Christmas day. It is not their special day, because everyone is getting presents.

Be sure your son wants it and doesn't accept it because it is on your bucket list.
If your son would just be as happy to hang out with friends at the park, with or without a guide, sleep on it another night.

You know your child best. But to be devil's advocate, there are people who might not enjoy it because it is not 'their' gift, it is a gift to the family. Example, you sometimes see this with people whose birthday falls on Christmas day. It is not their special day, because everyone is getting presents.

Be sure your son wants it and doesn't accept it because it is on your bucket list.
If your son would just be as happy to hang out with friends at the park, with or without a guide, sleep on it another night.

Excellent point. I will make sure that he would feel like it was a gift to him and not a family outing. Thanks!

I cannot imagine anyone not loving this gift! Who doesn’t want to be a VIP? Who doesn’t want to go on attractions with very little wait? I think it sounds awesome! We were at DL a couple weeks ago and as we were leaving the GCH, a family with two teens were saying goodbye to their plaid guide and there were hugs and all sorts of kind words being exchanged.👍🏻👍🏻

These tours sell out very quickly so book as soon as you can. There is nothing to lose as you don’t pay when you book and can cancel without penalty up to 48 hours before the tour. Also, one thing you might consider is to request a younger tour guide; we did this when giving a tour to my daughter and her boyfriend, the request was granted and they got along very well with the guide who was fairly close to their age.

Last edited:
I did this for my 50th birthday--two guides for a large group. The guides will gladly split off at times to take younger kids on rides good for them and adults/teens on more exciting rides. This would be a wonderful gift. Only risk is spoiling the kids so just be sure they know how lucky they are and they need to give back in the future IMHO.

When I grew up in LA, going to Blue Bayou was an amazing extravagance, and I had no clue about the VIP tours. In fact, I always thought, "Why would anyone need a tour of Disneyland?" Well, now I know...

Thanks for all the responses. Would it be awkward for DH and I to attend along with my son and his friends? I'm dying to do a VIP tour! Would it be better (or worse) if we brought a few friends so there would be the teens and the adults making it seem less like we were tagging along.

You should talk to your son about it: his gift, his choice.

Now that you mention again you are the one dying for it, why not give your son something that is on his list, and go on the VIP tour on a seperate trip because you have something to celebrate as a family / couple / group of friends.

Gifts with conditions or hidden agendas can go wrong.

Thanks for all the responses. Would it be awkward for DH and I to attend along with my son and his friends? I'm dying to do a VIP tour! Would it be better (or worse) if we brought a few friends so there would be the teens and the adults making it seem less like we were tagging along.

LOL if I did this for my kid, I would DEFINITELY be going on the tour as well! I don't think my kids would expect otherwise. You can always give them the option of having a little time to themselves while you grab a bite to eat, etc.

It sounds like it’s just as much a treat for you as for your son. So do the tour as a family treat, as opposed to a birthday present, and give a separate birthday present to your son.

It sounds like it’s just as much a treat for you as for your son. So do the tour as a family treat, as opposed to a birthday present, and give a separate birthday present to your son.

yes, that is the plan. Looking for opinions if my husband and I should invite friends along so there are two distinct groups so the teens can feel separate and not like they are hanging out w DS’s parents.

Slightly off topic, but I could not believe how many tours we saw when we were there for the weekend!

Definitely a bucket list experience for me!

If the teens are under 18, you will have to have an adult on the tour. But I do think if you brought your friends on the tour, it isn't going to feel like a birthday present for your son.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter