VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Another major nor’easter is underway......oh how I look forward to winters in Florida.......
I "liked" this post, and if I could, I'd give it a Mega Like with bells, whistles, and fireworks (the part about FL not the part about the nor'easter). While our situation isn't as bad as those in your neck of the woods, getting 6" of snow in Virginia in March is simply disgusting. Thoughts of sun and warmth heading your way!:beach:

Last edited:
We finally rode FOP this trip and it is worth staying up late for IMO. We were lucky enough to get more than one FP during these two weeks and it was just as good the second time we rode it. It blows the Harry Potter ride away.

Cool! I have another one as well! Can’t wait!

This whole "new" backstory regarding mining, boulders, quarries, and crap just doesn't make sense. Nevertheless, we're all thankful that the primary essence of the Lodge didn't change--serenity, intimacy, yet awe-inspiring. That's a difficult juggling act. Personally, I wish they had made the new pool more like a Hidden Springs classic complete with the bubbles. Miss those bubbles and miss the fact you could truly escape at the old pool--it was a throwback to quieter times. I think if you canvassed our Groupies, you'd find that while the majority salute the efforts to upgrade the overall Lodge resort, we're all a bit sad at what was taken away, and in a couple of instances (talking about you Boulder Whatever pool and RF) we're downright disappointed.

Hahahaha! "One of the greatest mysteries of the 21st century." I think I've said this here before, but I am just so relieved to not have to hide my confusion and disappointment about the pool and backstory (which I'm totally going to look into further, this time with a sense of humor). ::yes::

I never saw the old quiet pool (my first time staying at WL was during construction), so I don't know what I'm missing. I love the new pool, but I was also very disappointed with the whole quarry/mining theme. I really wish they extended the national parks theme of the lodge.

I never saw the old quiet pool (my first time staying at WL was during construction), so I don't know what I'm missing. I love the new pool, but I was also very disappointed with the whole quarry/mining theme. I really wish they extended the national parks theme of the lodge.
Thanks for joining in! The quiet pool was beloved by most. It was smallish and had no awesome water feature which meant that it was rarely crowded. What it did possess was character, highlighted by numerous places where the water literally bubbled up--when my daughter was younger, she loved playing in those bubbles! Moreover, there were trees around much of the pool which lent a bit of shade to some spots during the heat of the Florida summer days. Finally, it had a small hot tub, with a fake boulder next to it where the hot tub jet switch was located. That rock and the smaller fakes ones behind it sort of set it apart from the pool, though you could view the entire pool from that spot. Generally speaking, the hidden pool had two types of people: 1) families with small children who liked that the children could be enthused with simply bubbles and were easily watched since it was a smaller pool and 2) couples without kids who could enjoy a pool with much less of the noise factor associated with the main pool. It was a well-loved and will be missed for years to come. To me, the newer pool is too sterile--not enough nature to be "wilderness" and not whimsical enough to pull off the whole mining company theme. While parts of the new build at the Lodge was well-done, obviously things were not fully thought through--Geyser Point's continuing identity crisis; the whole Barrier Reef--wait, I mean Balderdash--no, Boulder Ridge backstory and design; and the poor retooling of the RF menu.

I will continue to go home to VWL, however, because it speaks to me emotionally and because the core beauty and majesty still shine through. Okay, enough speechifying. . .welcome @iheartglaciers !

P.S. Do you live near glaciers?

. .welcome @iheartglaciers ! P.S. Do you live near glaciers?

Thanks! The old pool and the bubbles sound amazing! I love those Disney imagineering details, which have sadly seem to swung more in the generic direction lately. I've also read that a lot of trees were cut down when they put up the cabins.

I actually don't live near glaciers, but ever since I saw some in Alaska, I love them :-) I saw some most recently in Glacier NP and Jasper NP last year... you can also see why I like the WL theme! I stayed at BRV twice on rented points and finally joined DVC recently with a CCV add-on :-)

Ok gang. We are headed to the VWL for our first DVC stay at our "home" this June. Now we have stayed in the main Lodge at least ten times, in nearly every room view possible save the lobby, but we have only stayed in VWL once. The room we had was ground floor facing the bus stop. We loved the room, yet would like to see something else this trip. I should mention that we will be staying in a studio this June. Should I request a ground floor pool view or an upper floor pool view for the better scenery. What are the pros and cons to each? Just curious.

Seth

Here's a picture of the old quiet pool. Very small but rarely crowded with no features (except the bubbles that you can see in the picture). It was nicely nestled among the trees.

VWL Quiet Pool original.jpg

Having said that, I am in the minority in that I think the new pool will be very nice once the trees grow in. They planted a whole bunch of trees so I think it will once again be nestled among them. I'm okay with the quarry theming, and as long as they don't do the loudspeaker games and music there (cruise ship antics as DDad calls it) I think the new pool will end up being very nice with the zero entry.

Ok gang. We are headed to the VWL for our first DVC stay at our "home" this June. Now we have stayed in the main Lodge at least ten times, in nearly every room view possible save the lobby, but we have only stayed in VWL once. The room we had was ground floor facing the bus stop. We loved the room, yet would like to see something else this trip. I should mention that we will be staying in a studio this June. Should I request a ground floor pool view or an upper floor pool view for the better scenery. What are the pros and cons to each? Just curious.

Seth

Seth...welcome, and glad you stopped by. :)

I'd say that the view of the pool (and Bay Lake) is better on the higher floors. However, there are sections of VWL where the highest floor has the enclosed balconies (not the see-through fence type). Some people do not like that as it means it is not much of a view if you are sitting on the balcony...you have to stand on them to see the view. They don't bother us, but I know some people like to avoid them for that reason. I think if you request lake side (odd number rooms) upper floor you will get something you like. Though if you really want to look at the pool more than Bay Lake, you need to also request "close to the elevators". Now you are into three separate requests (lake side/upper floor/near elevators) and if they can't fill all three they sometimes give you whatever they like. @KAT4DISNEY is our resident Groupie who holds the record for most stays at VWL requesting the lake side and getting the bus side!

I'm sure you'll have an amazing trip. WL is a great resort, but we really enjoy that little walk from the lobby to VWL via the covered walkway. The music plays and the crickets chirp and it is very relaxing. Enjoy your planning!

I'd say that the view of the pool (and Bay Lake) is better on the higher floors. However, there are sections of VWL where the highest floor has the enclosed balconies (not the see-through fence type). Some people do not like that as it means it is not much of a view if you are sitting on the balcony...you have to stand on them to see the view. They don't bother us, but I know some people like to avoid them for that reason. I think if you request lake side (odd number rooms) upper floor you will get something you like. Though if you really want to look at the pool more than Bay Lake, you need to also request "close to the elevators". Now you are into three separate requests (lake side/upper floor/near elevators) and if they can't fill all three they sometimes give you whatever they like. @KAT4DISNEY is our resident Groupie who holds the record for most stays at VWL requesting the lake side and getting the bus side!

I'm sure you'll have an amazing trip. WL is a great resort, but we really enjoy that little walk from the lobby to VWL via the covered walkway. The music plays and the crickets chirp and it is very relaxing. Enjoy your planning!
@Seth Pardon I echo what Granny says. He nails the choices, and I agree that requesting a higher floor on the lake side is the way to go. Though the top floor rooms (Floor 5) have the dormer look, when we stayed there a couple of years ago, we didn't mind at all. Sure, you have to stand up to get the full view, but we don't spend hours upon hours on the balcony. Further, most of the ceilings in those rooms are vaulted which makes the space seem much larger. We've also done the ground floor room and, while it was fine, we didn't enjoy it as much as the rooms on higher floors regardless of the side. Good luck!

Thanks! The old pool and the bubbles sound amazing! I love those Disney imagineering details, which have sadly seem to swung more in the generic direction lately. I've also read that a lot of trees were cut down when they put up the cabins.

I actually don't live near glaciers, but ever since I saw some in Alaska, I love them :-) I saw some most recently in Glacier NP and Jasper NP last year... you can also see why I like the WL theme! I stayed at BRV twice on rented points and finally joined DVC recently with a CCV add-on :-)
The Hidden Springs pool picture that Granny included made me verklempt. Sigh. I actually lived in Alaska for four years, so glaciers were a common sight. They are majestic in their own right, and they're amazing to get up close to if you're able.

:wave:

So guess what I'm doing in a little over a month? Spending a night at CCV! Shall we guess what view I'll get there? :rotfl:

What view did you request? I would think that one of the great parts about CCV is that the views should be pretty good on either side of the wing. Except for ground floor which I would probably not care for.

I'm doing a Moose Dust dance for you to get the best room possible for your stay!

Moose Dance.gif

@Seth Pardon I echo what Granny says. He nails the choices, and I agree that requesting a higher floor on the lake side is the way to go. Though the top floor rooms (Floor 5) have the dormer look, when we stayed there a couple of years ago, we didn't mind at all. Sure, you have to stand up to get the full view, but we don't spend hours upon hours on the balcony. Further, most of the ceilings in those rooms are vaulted which makes the space seem much larger. We've also done the ground floor room and, while it was fine, we didn't enjoy it as much as the rooms on higher floors regardless of the side. Good luck!

Awesome. Just the type of reply I was looking for. We check in Saturday June 2, so I plan on making my room request phone call about 1-2 weeks before and hope for the best. The enclosed balcony is kind a bummer as both my kids and my wife and I like to sit on the balcony and look out over the territory. Kids, while they eat breakfast, Mom while she watches the surroundings, and Dad while he sips his bourbon ;-) So I think I will request upper floors as opposed to highest floor.

Awesome guys thanks much. I'll give a report once we get back on how things are at our Lodge. For eight years we stayed at the Lodge every time we went to WDW, sometimes multiple times a year, and we haven't stayed at our beloved Lodge since May 2016. We are beyond ready to be back home again.

Thanks Granny for the reply. This is exactly what I was hoping to get back from you guys who have stayed at VWL more than the main Lodge as I have. Thanks again and I will report once we get back. Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter