VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Actually LOVE this. "BUY, where you want to STAY". Get that 11 month window. Let others fight at 7 months :).
I was as naive as a guy could be when we bought in 2001 at VWL. Our guide asked when we liked to go to WDW the most, said Dec and she said we would love VWL. Turns out she was right! Was asking for BWV but they were sold out. So we took what we could. So glad we did. Don't get me wrong, we bought resale at BWV many years later and don't regret that move either. But we are so happy we have the 11 mos window for VWL in Dec. Like Jen, I too have never had issue getting what we wanted at 11 mos if I am on the phone pronto that morning.

We have been fortunate enough to book a lot of places at 7 mos as well, but I study what will be realistic and not and go into it with knowledge it may not work. I tend to have a backup plan as well. For ex., we love BLT but I don't expect to be able to book it say Dec or Oct. Mar or May, yes. Thats reason we bought BWV, for F&W. So I agree, buy where you want to stay. Love the 11 mos window as its a guarantee of sorts that I can be there when I want. Its takes some strategy these days I feel, same as the 7 mos.

DVC has afforded me some great memories as twinklebug pointed out, and though like all things of this World, it has its flaws, the positives for me far outweigh the negatives. We all are fortunate, maybe lucky, I don't know, that we own a piece of Magic that enriches our lives where others struggle just to make a trip of a lifetime.

I hadn't planned on going back to WDW for some time. But, an opportunity came up to spend a week at the Lodge to celebrate my 50th trip around the sun. More importantly, (God willing) I'll be celebrating a year of sobriety.

Referring to why DVC is a good thing . . .

Isn't this really why we all joined DVC?

I tell people all the time that I did not save money by buying timeshares. I spent much more on vacations than I would have if I'd not owned anything. But, I got to spend a dozen years taking 2-3 vacations per year with my kids while they were growing up. Now that they are both in college, I can't imagine a better use to which I could have put that cash.

I was as naive as a guy could be when we bought in 2001 at VWL. Our guide asked when we liked to go to WDW the most, said Dec and she said we would love VWL. Turns out she was right! Was asking for BWV but they were sold out. So we took what we could. So glad we did. Don't get me wrong, we bought resale at BWV many years later and don't regret that move either. But we are so happy we have the 11 mos window for VWL in Dec. Like Jen, I too have never had issue getting what we wanted at 11 mos if I am on the phone pronto that morning.

We have been fortunate enough to book a lot of places at 7 mos as well, but I study what will be realistic and not and go into it with knowledge it may not work. I tend to have a backup plan as well. For ex., we love BLT but I don't expect to be able to book it say Dec or Oct. Mar or May, yes. Thats reason we bought BWV, for F&W. So I agree, buy where you want to stay. Love the 11 mos window as its a guarantee of sorts that I can be there when I want. Its takes some strategy these days I feel, same as the 7 mos.

DVC has afforded me some great memories as twinklebug pointed out, and though like all things of this World, it has its flaws, the positives for me far outweigh the negatives. We all are fortunate, maybe lucky, I don't know, that we own a piece of Magic that enriches our lives where others struggle just to make a trip of a lifetime.
Yep, I was naive, too, the first time around. By the time I came to the DVC party, SSR was the resort that was opening, so that was where I bought. I knew nothing of the resale market or the fact that Disney could snag a contract at other "closed" resorts if you pushed for them. My first booked stay? VWL. I've told this story before, so I'll be brief, but my first actual visit to VWL was OOP. Wanted a suite since youngest daughter wasn't even 5 at the time, and wanted a separate room for her. After viewing rooms online at the deluxe resorts, I liked GF and Poly a lot, but they were either booked or too expensive. Ended up "settling" for WL, specifically a room at VWL, though I had no clue what DVC was at the time. It was an amazing experience, and back then they had a kiosk just off the VWL lobby near the elevators. The DVC channel on the TV intrigued me, and the CM at the kiosk answered some basic questions. Took a tour, went home to think about it, and a week later bought. After that, every trip I took was at VWL even though it was the 7-month point to book. Never an issue, though I never tried the holidays. It wasn't until 9 years ago that I bought VWL points, then added to those about 5 years ago.

Like you, JT, we've had so many tremendous experiences: some small like the flickering lanterns and stirring music as we walk from the main Lodge to VWL; some large like our wedding at the Lodge. All are special. I do realize that my issues with many of Disney's recent decisions are first world problems, and for now, we'll keep plugging along enjoying what we can. We'll always dream of driving up to the Lodge and walking into the lobby, no matter what. I just hope to capture even more magic as the years go by.

I hadn't planned on going back to WDW for some time. But, an opportunity came up to spend a week at the Lodge to celebrate my 50th trip around the sun. More importantly, (God willing) I'll be celebrating a year of sobriety.

I tell people all the time that I did not save money by buying timeshares. I spent much more on vacations than I would have if I'd not owned anything. But, I got to spend a dozen years taking 2-3 vacations per year with my kids while they were growing up. Now that they are both in college, I can't imagine a better use to which I could have put that cash.
:welcome:, Brian! Congratulations, too, on you year-long journey. We're privileged you shared with us, and you'll find us a good group with whom to share. You're correct, too, in that you don't really save money buying a timeshare--we wouldn't likely travel quite as much so we'd save in that way. Still, there's no doubt owning DVC has saved us money for our trips to Disney, not to mention providing us years of anticipation and merriment. Have fun at VWL (or Copper Creek if that's where you're staying)! Keep us updated!!

Jimmy...I've thought of this often, of how blessed we have been to be able to afford a DVC membership. Every time I'm at WDW, I see the guests and I think that for many of them this is the one trip they will have. So when it rains, or a key attraction is down for repair, I feel for them because they may not be able to ever come back. And I think that Disney has built up too much positive equity for me to ever feel that the changes that go on will be more negative than the great memories we've had. :)

Brian...that's awesome! Congratulations on both your milestones! :thumbsup2

I agree wholeheartedly that DVC is not a money saver for us...especially since we have only booked 1BR or 2BR villas since we bought. But I know that it made our vacations much better than they would have been otherwise. And I am so looking forward to the day (hopefully) that one of my daughters gives us a grandchild that we can spoil with several more trips together! :)

Like you, JT, we've had so many tremendous experiences: some small like the flickering lanterns and stirring music as we walk from the main Lodge to VWL; some large like our wedding at the Lodge. All are special. I do realize that my issues with many of Disney's recent decisions are first world problems, and for now, we'll keep plugging along enjoying what we can. We'll always dream of driving up to the Lodge and walking into the lobby, no matter what. I just hope to capture even more magic as the years go by.

Sleepy...very well put. I think a lot of the Disney magic is what we bring with us. Even if the parks are crowded, or some of the changes are hard to handle, we still enjoy our trips and the Groupies we have met along the way. :grouphug:

Actually LOVE this. "BUY, where you want to STAY". Get that 11 month window. Let others fight at 7 months :).
LOL and with that said... we are trying for BWV in November - the 7 month window. If I can't get it that is OK. We love BRV and will be very happy there. We just wanted to try someplace new.

Pete's dragon snorting fire?

enhance

enhance

At least Disney still has a fire breathing dragon.

Brian - Keep going! The path can be hard in any direction. Choose your hard. Drop in when you need to . . .

Hi Groupies,

My job search continues......I had a phone interview last week, and was asked to interview on Monday. It went very well, and I was invited back to meet additional team members on Wednesday, which I also feel went well. They hope to make a decision by next week, so I will have keep you posted. My time off has really helped me to focus on what I am looking for, and I am pretty confident that I am going to land where I belong, of course, pixie (and moose) dust is always welcome! pixiedust:

Brian! Congratulations, too, on you year-long journey.
Brian...that's awesome! Congratulations on both your milestones!
Thanks! I haven't reached it yet, but I've got a lot of faith that I will...and a lot of support from my recovery community to help me get there. That's in contrast to how I felt before I decided to make this change; I was privately suspecting I would not live to see grandchildren.

I had planned a trip last winter, and skipped it. I was still struggling with this new way of living, and everything was really grey and depressing. I'm still not quite sure I "deserve" this trip, because I'm still dealing with a lot of self-directed shame. But, sunlight is slowly entering my life, and I've confirmed the exchange, so I'm going.

The Lodge speaks to me in a way few other places do, and I think it will be a healing place for me to reflect. I am looking forward to reading a book down by the lake, watching the boats go by. It will be strange not going straight to the pool bar for a Captain's Mai Tai on arrival, but in a good way.

Hi Groupies,

My job search continues......I had a phone interview last week, and was asked to interview on Monday. It went very well, and I was invited back to meet additional team members on Wednesday, which I also feel went well. They hope to make a decision by next week, so I will have keep you posted. My time off has really helped me to focus on what I am looking for, and I am pretty confident that I am going to land where I belong, of course, pixie (and moose) dust is always welcome! pixiedust:
Moose and pixie dust wishes headed your way!
Thanks! I haven't reached it yet, but I've got a lot of faith that I will...and a lot of support from my recovery community to help me get there. That's in contrast to how I felt before I decided to make this change; I was privately suspecting I would not live to see grandchildren.

I had planned a trip last winter, and skipped it. I was still struggling with this new way of living, and everything was really grey and depressing. I'm still not quite sure I "deserve" this trip, because I'm still dealing with a lot of self-directed shame. But, sunlight is slowly entering my life, and I've confirmed the exchange, so I'm going.

The Lodge speaks to me in a way few other places do, and I think it will be a healing place for me to reflect. I am looking forward to reading a book down by the lake, watching the boats go by. It will be strange not going straight to the pool bar for a Captain's Mai Tai on arrival, but in a good way.
The Lodge would be my number one choice at the World to reflect, relax, and recharge. I'm sure it will become a healing place for you.

Hi Groupies,

Good Luck Corrine

My time off has really helped me to focus on what I am looking for, and I am pretty confident that I am going to land where I belong, of course, pixie (and moose) dust is always welcome!

Corinne...we're very excited to hear the job search is going well, and that you feel that you have a good handle on where you want to go. Here's some Moose Dust, wishing for all the best outcome for your search. :)

The Lodge speaks to me in a way few other places do, and I think it will be a healing place for me to reflect.

Brian...I hadn't thought of the Lodge as a retreat area, but of course you're right. It is a perfect place to relax and spend time enjoying the beauty of your surroundings. Best wishes for a great trip.

Hi Groupies,

Good luck Corinne! Will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Disclaimer: Non Disney related

Asking my fellow groupies for good thoughts, vibes, prayers, moose and pixie dust. My husband Ian has always suffered really poor vision. He was told as a child he would be blind by 18. Thank God that didn't happen. The past year and a half - two years his vision has been slowly getting worse. He was diagnosed with early cataracts about a year ago. On Thursday he was told they had gotten so bad his vision could not even be brought up to 20/60 with corrective lenses. So it is either have cataract surgery or lose his sight. That wouldn't be such a big deal.. people have cataract surgery every day. However, Ian is so severely nearsighted his is at a much higher risk of retinal detachment. There really isn't a choice. Without surgery he loses his sight. With surgery he could lose his sight, or it could go really well and he could be back to the place of being able to have is vision corrected enough to be able to drive, work and so on. Right now he can not drive at night. He goes in on Wednesday to have a consult and have 3-4 hours of intensive testing done on his eyes. He is understandably scared. I am too - but I am not letting him see that. (I cry when I am alone). I am doing everything in my power to stay upbeat. This could very well be the answer to our prayers. He could have surgery, get his cataracts removed, have lenses implanted that help with his nearsightedness and he could be better than before. Or it could be terribly bad. We are holding on tightly to it being really good.

Our oldest got a new car today. We went with her to co-sign so she could get a decent interest rate. She doesn't have much of a credit history. Anyway.. while we were there Ian found a car he fell in love with. So he traded in our Kia and got a Mazda 3. He said he is going to be positive and believe his is not going to lose his sight and he WILL be able to drive it until he no longer wants it. That is what we are holding on to. The other possibility - not something we even want to think about.

So I am asking all of you who feel comfortable to do so - please send those prayers, thoughts, vibes, energy, pixie and moose dust - we will take whatever you want to send.

Thanks.

please send those prayers, thoughts, vibes, energy, pixie and moose dust - we will take whatever you want to send.

Thanks.
Sending all of the above. The surgery is the best thing.
My father always had horrible eyesight, and when cataracts inevitably came calling about 5 or 6 years back he had the surgery and his eyesight is now better than when he was a teen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter