VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

DVCJen, I enjoyed your post, learning a bit about you! Thank you. For sharing just how you are dealing and reminding us what is important!

Here in Ontario almost everything is closed. Grocery stores and pharmacies are open. For me work continues, though, I can work from home. When I came back from Disney I had a wicked cold (as per normal). My Dr sent me to be tested, as expected I was negative. I always get sick at Disney.

Watching this grow, I am wishing all the groupies well. Stay safe.

Yesterday we did FaceTime with our Houston family and we were chided for going out to places yesterday. We honestly thought we were being careful, but they are worried about us.

There is an article “out there” from The New Yorker written by Michael Shulman, March 16, and it talks about us Baby Boomers. I don’t think I am allowed to give a link here, but if you can find it, I hope you enjoy the piece. If a link is allowed, tell me, I’ll put it here.

It may be that the fun we had planning to use our present batch of DVC points was all for naught. Time to begin planning for the next batch!

Right now, Tom and I would still be in Australia if I hadn’t cancelled our Princess Cruise in January, after paid in full date, but when the fires were raging. I think we dodged a bullet there!

So, if any Boomers are here, let’s listen to our kids for a change and do what’s asked of us! Stay safe, and meet at the Lodge when we can!

Bobbi:flower3:

Day one of being an online teacher is completed (sort of). I'm not sure that the email train will stop anytime soon. I keep reminding myself that EVERYONE in the entire nation is dealing with being forced into online education. I also reminded my children at school that in 10 years, kids will be reading about us in their history books. I'm spending several hours watching YouTube how to's about creating and grading documents online. Luckily, my kids were already using Google Classroom in my classes, we've just had to take that to a whole new level.
DD20 made it home from Greece. We are on day 5 of self quarantine with her. She remains mostly in her room, uses her own bathroom, and we've had dinner on our patio each evening with her at the far end of the table. She takes her temperature twice and day and records it in the log she was given by the CDC. She keeps in contact with her study abroad group on a daily basis, so far none of them have any symptoms either. :duck: Hopefully it stays that way.
Still trying to finish cancelling our upcoming Europe trip. I filled at the form for a refund with Disneyland Paris this morning. I was set to reschedule for the first few days of June, but now I'm just worried that date may end of being too soon for all this pass. So far everyone has been decent to deal with except IRONMAN. They conveniently moved the race DH was scheduled to do until October, and aren't offering any refunds. No way we can go in October.

DD23 is still in Texas doing travel therapy with pediatric patients. Praying that her job contract holds out. She is not in a school setting, so hopefully that will help. If not, she'll be in the same boat as Jen's daughter, unemployed.

Hard to believe less than a month ago we were all complaining about the quality of TP at Disney. Now we are all rushing out to buy any TP that we can lay our hands on! Hope all the groupies are staying well! Wash hands everyone!

Checking in from southwest Virginia. I did get out for a bit today figuring that I should while I felt less guilty about doing so than I likely will in a few days. No cases anywhere near here, but one must assume some will appear sooner or later. We are fairly well stocked up on supplies, food, and, of course, wine. The latter was one of the reasons for my trip. I also now have a few small projects I can do at home thanks to a stop at a hardware store. There will be no need for me to venture out for some time now.

Again, this whole situation is, and should be, driven by not wanting to be a carrier more than any self-preservation notion. One complicating factor is the Luv is traveling health professional, and while her travels have not led her to any area with any cases, visiting nursing homes and rehab centers increases her risk. With an increased risk to her, then by extension I also become an increased risk to catch and/or carry the virus. Thus, I'm home to stay for a time.

School is currently out until 30 March, but no sensible part of me believes we'll go back then. Maybe after Easter--more likely the first of May at the earliest, I believe. Regardless, I'm focused now on settling in, settling back, and settling down a bit. Bring on the warm weather so I can at least go sun on the deck!

Was just telling my daughter that TP was one of those items I was always embarrassed to be seen buying. Now we live in a society where people are taking selfies with their TP purchases.

How is everyone doing?

My daughter finally got tested for the virus, the kits were not down here near RI for weeks. Since the results take 3 days to come back she's at home quarantine until they come through as negative.

Noted that Disney has stopped all construction for the time being. Speculations are that the Star Wars hotel and possibly the new Reflections DVC near WL will be jobs that are held off on until people have disposable incomes again.

With all the uncertainty in the world with this virus, I thought I would share a post I saw on FB this AM, with hopes it makes someones day a bit brighter

Let’s talk some GOOD NEWS, shall we?

💥 China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.

💥 Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest same medicine, globally.

💥 Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.

💥 A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.

💥 Apple reopens all 42 china stores,

💥 Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.

💥 Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.

💥 Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.

💥 Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.

💥 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.

💥 A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.

💥 A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.

💥 Tulsa County's first positive COVID-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.

💥 All 7 patients who were getting treated for at Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi have recovered.

💥 Plasma from newly recovered patients from Covid -19 can treat others infected by Covid-19.

So it's not ALL bad news. Let's care for each other and stay focused on safety of those most vulnerable.

*copied from a friend*

Let stay positive people!!

So I finally watched the Imagineering story on Disney+

WOW. I loved it and will be watching it again. So glad I read the recommendation from this thread.

Cindy...."The Imagineers" was really good, wasn't it? I was surprised that they published some of the stories and interviews that really didn't shed a very good light on the Disney company. But it was fascinating to see how the ideas became plans and then realities. Really impressive! :thumbsup2

We have enjoyed watching this as well. Another good one is One Day at Disney. Allows CMs to tell their story in 6-7 minute bits.
At SSR, the book was in the villa, available to read. We had seen bits of the Disney+ program on the DVC member cruise. I really enjoyed seeing the whole book and reading the stories.

Cindy...."The Imagineers" was really good, wasn't it? I was surprised that they published some of the stories and interviews that really didn't shed a very good light on the Disney company. But it was fascinating to see how the ideas became plans and then realities. Really impressive! :thumbsup2
Very impressive. I got a kick out of how small the operation was back when Walt was around, such that he'd take people and pop them onto jobs they felt unprepared for but did so with amazing results. You know that message that permeates Ratatouille? "Anybody can cook" Seems that was Walt's philosophy with imagineering.

So, we were talking about TP some time back, then the shortage. Decided to see if i could place an order for pickup at my local big box store, low and behold they have TP... got the following message when I added it to my cart

:scared: That's making WDW's version look good.

Hope everyone is doing well! Looking forward to the next time we get to see these sights.

p233694710-4.jpg

p620750983-4.jpg

p777990823-4.jpg

p942767262-4.jpg

p167148121-4.jpg

p152239456-5.jpg

Greetings, Groupies! I sure hope everyone is managing with their down time and/or work, and/or needed shopping. Like many others, it's been a slow week, learning to adjust to a strange, new world. I've completed a couple more small projects around the house, and I'm mentally gearing up to do some outdoor projects once the weather warms. Meanwhile, I've walked each of the last four days. There's even hazard in that, I found out.

I walked the local trail (New River Trail if anyone has heard of it, JT maybe. It's a 57-mile rails to trail reclamation that is a marvelous resource here). I did four miles, and never lingered in one spot except maybe a half dozen times to let cyclists go by. All dirt/cinder trail, too. Woke up the next morning to find a tick embedded in my left shoulder. Great, I thought, just what I needed. Now, I have to monitor for Lyme disease which, naturally, has some symptoms similar to, wait for it, coronavirus. After some research and consulting with my good friend who is a doctor, it turns out ticks need a minimum of 24-36 hours to transmit the bacteria associated with Lyme disease, and this--ahem--sucker was on in me for less than 8 hours when I found him. I'm carefully watching that spot on my shoulder and self-monitoring for other symptoms, but I believe I'm just fine.

Anyway, in more pleasant news, my daughter finally made it in from RI; she had driven there with her BF when her college closed, and was due to fly out yesterday. . .which she did and is now safely at home with her mom. Her mom and I had a few discussions regarding how we wish she had gotten home earlier, but as I told her, our DD is an adult, and sometimes you just gotta let things play out if the situation isn't dire. She half-jokingly asked "don't you want to go pick her up since you're not teaching?" Absolutely, I said; however, we opted to let go of the reins a bit and let DD decide how to proceed. Her BF's mom is a doctor (as is DD's mom), so we swallowed hard and smiled best we could. All that to say, she's home, where she'll self-isolate a few days before I get to see her since she went through two airports. . .just to be safe.

Well, that's all the news fit to print from here. Listening to the WDW screen scroll music from Feb 2020 off YouTube, so that helps pass the time and put me in a good mood. Stay safe and check in often, folks!
Patrick

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter