VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Any groupies planning out a visit on the 50th? (10/1/21)

Owners have been walking reservations in all kinds of categories... Over at AKV Jambo we usually see just the club level and values impacted, but now Standard Room at Jambo is now being walked too (I was blocked earlier today, and just snagged the last room), that should tell you how coveted a reservation will be.

Just looked and saw the BR studios are gone for the 28th (today's 11 month out), but still are available beyond that.

I know it will be crowded, but have never had the opportunity to be a part of one of the day-of celebrations, so I'll learn to deal with it :)

Last edited:
Oh, you'll love AKV!! It's our second home (VWL being first!). We technically own at BOTH Jambo and Kidani, and while Jambo is our favorite for the "wow" factor (stop in and check out the lobby!) we do love the splash pad area of Kidani, and the extra bathrooms in the 1 and 2 BRs are a really, really nice extra. The rooms are also slightly larger than at Jambo. Definitely request the Sunset Savanna so you can see both giraffe and zebra! There's definitely nothing so great as sitting on your balcony in the morning with your cup of tea (or coffee), watching the animals. It's a little bit of heaven. I may love VWL slightly more, but that has to be one of my favorite experiences when at Disney (which is why we also own at AKV).

AKV was also designed by Peter Dominick (who designed the Wilderness Lodge), so it'll have that great "coming home" feel because there are similarities in design, while also feeling very different. Do take the opportunity to walk around the resort, as there is a fantastic amount of African art and craftwork everywhere.

I love Peter Dominck's style - he also designed the Grand Californian. I have a small VGC contract in ROFR right now that I desperately hope passes, because then I will own my Peter Dominick trifecta! ;-)
Thanks for your enthusiastic post! It still feels strange to me to be planning a trip to the AKL after assuming for so long that our granddaughter's first trip would be at our favorite and beloved VWL. But, since I've started looking at videos and researching, I think that a resort centric trip there would be perfect for an almost 3 year-old. We can then do the parks in small doses. :)
We've eaten at Boma's a few times, my daughter and I ate there on Thanksgiving in 2018, so I am very familiar with that lobby. But I watched a video of Kidani today and those glass light fixtures are amazing!
My apologies if I am hijacking this VWL thread to discuss Kidani. I just trust everyone here!!
One more question, if it's OK. For all the years we've been going to WDW I have always asked for the highest floor available. I have read that at Kidani that may not provide the best view of the animals. Any advice? Thanks!!
And just a small attachment, to balance things out. :)
IMG_8199.JPG

While I’d love to go for the 50th - I’m not sure the crowd crush will be worth it - so we’re shooting for either Sept or later in Oct.

Owners have been walking reservations in all kinds of categories... Over at AKV Jambo we usually see just the club level and values impacted, but now Standard Room at Jambo is now being walked too (I was blocked earlier today, and just snagged the last room), that should tell you how coveted a reservation will be.

Just looked and saw the BR studios are gone for the 28th (today's 11 month out), but still are available beyond that.

I know it will be crowded, but have never had the opportunity to be a part of one of the day-of celebrations, so I'll learn to deal with it :)

That was always my plan and I'm still going to book but am now rather wait and see what WDW will be doing. So sad but it's going to be a far cry from what they were working towards. I was at DL's 50th. And 60th. Poor WDW has lost out on sooooo many cool things that were coming. But, we'll see.

Thanks for your enthusiastic post! It still feels strange to me to be planning a trip to the AKL after assuming for so long that our granddaughter's first trip would be at our favorite and beloved VWL. But, since I've started looking at videos and researching, I think that a resort centric trip there would be perfect for an almost 3 year-old. We can then do the parks in small doses. :)
We've eaten at Boma's a few times, my daughter and I ate there on Thanksgiving in 2018, so I am very familiar with that lobby. But I watched a video of Kidani today and those glass light fixtures are amazing!
My apologies if I am hijacking this VWL thread to discuss Kidani. I just trust everyone here!!
One more question, if it's OK. For all the years we've been going to WDW I have always asked for the highest floor available. I have read that at Kidani that may not provide the best view of the animals. Any advice? Thanks!!
And just a small attachment, to balance things out. :)
View attachment 535201

Correct. At Kidani go for the lowest floor - ie, lobby level.

We are not planning on being at WDW on the anniversary date, but are looking to book an October trip next year at BWV 2BR SV. Based on what I'm reading, I'm not sure how easy it will be to book even 11 months out. Like many people, we have a lot of points that we have to start using.

:)

Correct. At Kidani go for the lowest floor - ie, lobby level.

As usual (actually, always), I agree with Kat. Lower floors at AKV (Savanna view) have a better view since the upper floors' views can be somewhat blocked by foliage. We've had 2nd and 3rd floor rooms that had good views, so don't be disappointed if you don't get the lobby level floor.

My waitlist came through. I was first able to secure a BRV stay for Dec then took a shot and waitlisted CCV which came through so switched. I thought it’d be better to be closer to all the action. We have reservations for Whispering Canyon and plan to hit P &Js Roaring Fork and Geyser Point. Think that covers all the restaurant. LOL. Any suggestions for a first timer at the Lodge? I’d like to venture over to the camp grounds area for Tri-Circle D.
Is the bus running between the lodge and fort wilderness? Or the resort boats? I’d love to visit the fort when we’re down too. Coming in 2 weeks

Sorry, not sure, I don’t go until Dec.
From my understanding the buses are going directly from the resorts to the parks, not heading to other resorts including Ft W. Makes sense as the capacity is so low these days there's not much point.

They have re-started transferring guests from one park to another even though park hopping is still not available.

As usual (actually, always), I agree with Kat. Lower floors at AKV (Savanna view) have a better view since the upper floors' views can be somewhat blocked by foliage. We've had 2nd and 3rd floor rooms that had good views, so don't be disappointed if you don't get the lobby level floor.
Yes! we stayed on 2nd floor, loved it!!

Is the bus running between the lodge and fort wilderness? Or the resort boats? I’d love to visit the fort when we’re down too. Coming in 2 weeks
I believe twinklebug is correct: no direct bus so you'll have to take a bus from a park or drive over. If you drive, they'll want to know what dining reservation you have there. Enjoy your trip and welcome!

We are dangerously close to the fold. . .

My Disney news is not VWL-centric. Nope, it's a quick note about DHHIR which is, of course, is a lovely resort in its own right. We're at or near full capacity for the foreseeable future given our stellar reputation and ability to let people truly relax in this era of apprehension. I'm on my own now, and it's actually quite rewarding to be a part of this wonderful team and to meet scores of people who come to HHI looking to kick back and unwind.

In a related bit, Luv and I are looking forward to only having rare days where we might suffer a freeze overnight. Tonight, we'll be down to the high 40s and only barely top 60 tomorrow (tough, I know). We'll gradually get back into the low 70s. . .in November.

Have a great week, Groupies!

Hey Groupies... Long shot but do we have anyone living in the Orlando/Clermont area have the name of a reputable clean up crew? Seems my mom's house has sprung a leak in her absence and only my 87 year old uncle lives in the area to work on it. He had the water turned on to the house last week to have the driveway powerwashed and something inside went kablooie.

At a loss for how to help since I'm up north here and don't have numbers for anyone. My mom is used to my dad having been the one to handle all such things, and he's gone. Her memory is not the best anymore either.

Update: water is off, plumber will be there in the morning to find/fix leak. Will work with disaster crew and insurance after that. Thankful that my sister has been through similar although hers was environmental, so different insurance coverage.

Last edited:
Hey Groupies... Long shot but do we have anyone living in the Orlando/Clermont area have the name of a reputable clean up crew? Seems my mom's house has sprung a leak in her absence and only my 87 year old uncle lives in the area to work on it. He had the water turned on to the house last week to have the driveway powerwashed and something inside went kablooie.

At a loss for how to help since I'm up north here and don't have numbers for anyone. My mom is used to my dad having been the one to handle all such things, and he's gone. Her memory is not the best either.
This is probably a long shot too, but have you seen the Facebook group, Ear For Each Other? It's a combination of laid of Cast Members and current CMs and fans who want to support them. There might be a laid off cast member who would be interested in the job.

Last edited:
This is probably a long shot too, but have you seen the Facebook group, Ear For Each Other? It's a combination of laid of Cast Members and current CMs and fans who want to support them. There might be a laid off cast member who would be interested in the job.

Good idea! Just spoke with my uncle and thankfully he's as lucid as the brightest star shines, we need the plummer in there first to find and stop the leak otherwise we'll be spinning our wheels with cleanup/flooding/cleanup

Last edited:

We were there early Oct. While there were no boats running between the two, buses most definitely were. We saw them every day - usually multiple times.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I was just watching one of my favourite Disney bloggers (Jen Lefforge) and she was checking in to Hilton Head. She mentioned an awesome CM named Patrick who was fastidiously disinfecting surfaces in the check in area. Was this our very own @sleepydog25 ?

PS ~ Jen LOVED Hilton Head and it is making me so excited for my upcoming trip there in March (if the stars align). :)

Hi everyone! I was just watching one of my favourite Disney bloggers (Jen Lefforge) and she was checking in to Hilton Head. She mentioned an awesome CM named Patrick who was fastidiously disinfecting surfaces in the check in area. Was this our very own @sleepydog25 ?

PS ~ Jen LOVED Hilton Head and it is making me so excited for my upcoming trip there in March (if the stars align). :)
First, HHI is an amazing resort. Few people come there for the first time expecting to fall in love with it given it is near no theme park; however, they leave enchanted because of the charm of the low country, the laid back vibe, the beach, the food, and the best CMs in the business. . .including, apparently, one fastidiously disinfecting surfaces at Live Oak Lodge. pirate: How cool is that! Speaking of CMs, I'm back at work today, having to cope with a chilly start of 46F and topping out at 72. . .but sunny!
Cheers!
Patrick

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter