VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hope everyone is doing well! Looking forward to the next time we get to see these sights.

p233694710-4.jpg

p620750983-4.jpg

p777990823-4.jpg

p942767262-4.jpg

p167148121-4.jpg

p152239456-5.jpg
KAT, thanks for sharing these wonderful photos! I think as DVCers(speaking for myself) we sometimes take for granted our ability to be able to visit often so therefore we dont stop to appreciate the moments like you have captured above. So thanks for sharing these. As I write this on the eve of flying out of what would have been a much needed 2 week vacation from work, I am glad and thankful I have work, I have a home, I have the essentials of life to sustain me and my family. DVC and WDW will still be there for us when we get through it all.

To my groupie family, Stay safe, stay well, and may God continue to bless us all through this time of uncertainty:grouphug:

At SSR, the book was in the villa, available to read. We had seen bits of the Disney+ program on the DVC member cruise. I really enjoyed seeing the whole book and reading the stories.
At our Dec stay at SSR/VWL, I saw the book on the table. I thumbed through it and really liked what I saw. I would love to have it as a companion to the videos.

I walked the local trail (New River Trail if anyone has heard of it, JT maybe. It's a 57-mile rails to trail reclamation that is a marvelous resource here). I did four miles, and never lingered in one spot except maybe a half dozen times to let cyclists go by. All dirt/cinder trail, too. Woke up the next morning to find a tick embedded in my left shoulder. Great, I thought, just what I needed. Now, I have to monitor for Lyme disease which, naturally, has some symptoms similar to, wait for it, coronavirus. After some research and consulting with my good friend who is a doctor, it turns out ticks need a minimum of 24-36 hours to transmit the bacteria associated with Lyme disease, and this--ahem--sucker was on in me for less than 8 hours when I found him. I'm carefully watching that spot on my shoulder and self-monitoring for other symptoms, but I believe I'm just fine.
Sure have, though I have never been on it myself, our Boy Scout troop that Casey was in went biking on it several times. Would love to go it myself someday!

As for the tick, you should be ok, but do monitor it, and if you get a constant headache in a week or so, please get to the Dr.! Tammy had a small tick on her leg, that looked like a small mole, turned out to carry Lyme disease and she dealt with the effects for awhile and its not easy. Not trying to scare you, but rather inform you, dont minimize it but be vigilant my friend.

Happy Sunday Groupies. We received our Magical Express tags yesterday for our trip that I cancelled. It brought back the sadness again. We did get standard GF for August. The CM couldn’t believe it. I saw it before her actually and she had to go out and back in after me repeatedly telling her it was there. My DD is more upset than me as I think it’s harder for kids. We are now scheduled for August 19th-26th. August 2019 I had said would be our last August trip Due to the heat. We were planning April 2020 and then would be going again Dec 2021 as it will be DD senior year and she has been begging to go during a December to see the Christmas decorations and cooler temps since we last went in Dec 2014. I figured it would be ok senior year to miss a little school. August is better than not going at all and we are now just saying prayers the world will be in a better place by then.
Stay healthy my groupie friends.

@jimmytammy I'm not overly concerned re: the tick, and I didn't find your comment alarmist at all. I will definitely continue to monitor the bite, but I think got that sucker soon enough. Still, it just about couldn't have come at a more inconvenient time.

Speaking of, our governor (VA) just declared that schools were closing for the remainder of the school year. We'll get guidance on classwork, testing, graduation, et. al. in the coming days. Officially, Virginia schools are shut down. In years to come, this will be an historical event our grandkids can point to and say, "I was there when. . ." For now, it's a major headache.

Hang in there, Groupies!

@jimmytammy I'm not overly concerned re: the tick, and I didn't find your comment alarmist at all. I will definitely continue to monitor the bite, but I think got that sucker soon enough. Still, it just about couldn't have come at a more inconvenient time.

Speaking of, our governor (VA) just declared that schools were closing for the remainder of the school year. We'll get guidance on classwork, testing, graduation, et. al. in the coming days. Officially, Virginia schools are shut down. In years to come, this will be an historical event our grandkids can point to and say, "I was there when. . ." For now, it's a major headache.

Hang in there, Groupies!

I'm very curious how this will work, particularly in regards to next year when kids coming in haven't completed the essential pre-requisites for the next math. If you don't mind sharing, and are able to, I'd love to know a bit about how they'll handle it. Most all schools will be in the same situation.

Last edited:
I'm very curious how this will work, particularly in regards to next year when kids coming in haven't completed the essential pre-requisites for the next math. If you don't mind, and are able to, sharing a bit about how they'll handle it I'd love to know. Most all schools will be in the same situation.
I sure will and, yes, that is a question I have, as well. All the teachers here are wondering such. It won't just be here, I'm certain. In the coming days or weeks, I feel certain other states will follow suit. Just how do you go about judging the students' abilities in areas such as math or science? Each of those need those building blocks to move on to the next year. For good students, it won't be much of an issue, yet that only addresses maybe 20-25% of the students. The entire recovery process, much less the illness itself, is going to be long, winding, and. . .well, adventurous. Unprecedented. Wonder what history books will write about us when we're long gone?

My daughter goes to a Technical HS and her program is Dental...It’s one think not to learn some of our moments in History but they will be missing key things they need to be able to do When they go out in the work force. At the end of High School they can take the dental assisting test to get there certifications. Very worried about these type of things and as others said Math is another one that will be tough. We have these horrible MCAS that they have to prepare for and pass to get a diploma. I’m sure it will work out but just nerve wracking for now.

Hang in there, Groupies!

Alabama meets Monday to assess how much longer we will be out. My gut feeling is that we will be out for the remainder of the year. After one week of online teaching, I don't think I'm looking forward to that. It's quite honestly much tougher than I thought it would be. I'm using Google Classroom with my kids. I push information out, and they turn in work online. We actually had Google a "meet" this morning. I met with all of my classes online for about 30 minutes. We just talked about how things were going for them, and how we can try to fix issues people are having. Some parents are complaining that we are blowing up their emails with too much communication. No way to make everyone happy. I teach 130 kids each day, I have a child in school, and I'm faculty member. Don't talk to me about too many emails!:headache:

Lakegirl, we will do the best we can to make sure that they will get some of the material they would have gotten in the classroom. But there is no way that the content can completely remain the same. I know the President cancelled standardized tests for this spring, but not sure it affects the test you are referring to. The only saving grace is that most every kid is in the same situation, this isn't a regional issue where Johnny in Alabama loses out on math 4th quarter, but Susie in California got her full quarter in. As a teacher we are being told to basically decide what is most important, and push that content out any way we can. When it's all said and done, we teachers may learn more than our kids do! I'm depending on Youtube tutorials to teach me how to create everything in Google Classroom that I haven't used before. My brain hurts right now!:teeth:

Week 2 of self quarantine for DD20 is going well. DD17 thinks I'm the worst mother in the world for not letting her hang with her friends. DD23 is hanging in there in Texas with her travel therapy job, wondering if each day is the day it may end. Hope the rest of the groupies are well. Thanks for letting me ramble.

Ok, not a teacher and not any sort of expert on the school system but why is it not being considered to reopen schools later if that possibility returns to complete these essential requirements? I'm sure there are arguments against such as families planning for certain vacations, times off etc and I've run across at least one person announcing that they would skip school if this was done because they already had vacation plans but unusual circumstances can require unusual responses. I also know enough teachers that have other jobs set up for the summer. To be clear I'm not thinking it would be ideal nor easy but is it impossible in such a way that makes it not be considered? Just a question from someone who is "uneducated" about the school system operations.

Last edited:
Ok, not a teacher and not any sort of expert on the school system but why is it not being considered to reopen schools later if that possibility returns to complete these essential requirements? I'm sure there are arguments against such as families planning for certain vacations, times off etc and I've run across at least one person announcing that they would skip school if this was done because they already had vacation plans but unusual circumstances can require unusual responses. I also know enough teachers that have other jobs set up for the summer. To be clear I'm not thinking it would be ideal nor easy but is it impossible in such a way that makes it not be considered? Just a question from someone who is "uneducated" about the school system operations.

Well, coincidentally today someone posted a newspaper article from Dec 1918 from the area where I grew up announcing what schools had decided to do following closures from the 1918 pandemic. A different time and all that but still interesting. They decided to hold classes on Saturdays and some of the upcoming holidays and they extended the school days by 30-40 minutes each day.

The biggest thing for me from all of this is a reminder that at another time this country had to look at many similar issues as we do today.

Enough off topic - sorry!

Last edited:
Our Governor in NC declared all schools closed for remainder of school year yesterday as well. Along with that, by weeks end, all salons, barber shops closed too. My gut feeling, he is just slowly preparing us for an executive order to stay home.

Actually, Kathy, I'm sure options such as those have been and still are being discussed and perhaps even formulated in some circles. Would it be possible? Sure, and part of me as an ex-military type thinks we need to do something just like what you've proposed in order to reset our slice of the world a little. However, as you suggest, unless sacrifices are made--vacations, trips, moves, mission trips, physical college admissions, second jobs, et.al.--it can't be done. You'd have some kids who tested, some who didn't, some who passed, and then some who would need to be retested (most states--all?--allow retests). I would also tell you that there are many, many teachers who abhor the standardized tests and find them wasteful in that they essentially "teach to the test." Are these tests worthwhile? It's been a raging debate since states instituted them decades ago. So, to go forward with standardized tests at a time when families have planned activities and commitments, when the economy is hopefully beginning to warm up again, and given that the tests to many are considered overkill would require a complicated process and herculean effort. That being said, few things are impossible. ;)

Our Governor in NC declared all schools closed for remainder of school year yesterday as well. Along with that, by weeks end, all salons, barber shops closed too. My gut feeling, he is just slowly preparing us for an executive order to stay home.

Our province announced yesterday that at 23:59 today everything but essential services (they published a list) must close. I believe it is through April 10 to be re-evaluated before the order is lifted. I fully expect it to last longer.

Both my sister and I work in essential services, though I can work from home for the most part. She works in a pharmacy so is working multiple days a week and getting extra hours as they are much busier than normal. Her employer is paying everyone an extra $2 per hour, and has installed plexiglass barriers to protect employees (and customers).

Because she is dealing with the public each day, we are self isolating from each other at home, and have a strict protocol in terms of doffing and laundering clothes, and showering after entering the house. I am afraid to see my water bill for this month.

For schools here, they are closed for the school year/indefinitely. They have shifted to online learning. I don't have kids so are not sure exactly how they are managing that. We are just coming off March Break, so it is ramping up. I feel for kids graduating high school and moving on to post-secondary, however our model is different here -- entrance is based on grades in specified courses, and Ontario universities would have received the grades the initial decisions are based on by February 28, so I am hoping they are still on track. What it will affect is the final grades which confirm the decisions but I am sure they will figure out a way to deal with that. We don't do SAT or ACT here. Due to limited places, minimum required entering grades at Ontario universities are A's and B's, depending on the specific program (and there are some programs where you have to have an A+ to get in).

A couple of things helping me get through this is thinking of our favourite place at WDW -- WL ! I've been looking at pictures and videos of our past trips. And planning our next (date TBD but not before 2021). We're also continuing to plan our already booked May 2021 DCL Alaska cruise, because even if we have to push the date further out it can be planned for [I am so hoping we will be able to go though... because that will mean that in a year from now things are back to some semblance of normal... I don't know that I really want to think about what it means if that is not the case, though I realize it is a real possibility]. So watching videos about the Disney Wonder and Alaska cruises and excursions :-)

The money for the Alaska cruise is already set aside, but is going to sit in a (sadly insanely low interest) savings account as an emergency fund should it be needed for other reasons in the interim. Ironically, while my sister's job is normally the most precarious, right now it is the one pretty much guaranteed stable and will make it through the other end of this. Mine should too but I still worry.

Hope all our fellow Groupies are doing well and staying safe and healthy.

SW

Our province announced yesterday that at 23:59 today everything but essential services (they published a list) must close. I believe it is through April 10 to be re-evaluated before the order is lifted. I fully expect it to last longer.

In Missouri, we are under a lock down except for essential services. All restaurants are pick up only or delivery. Most restaurants have asked their waitstaff to become delivery drivers which is a win/win for all.

A couple of things helping me get through this is thinking of our favourite place at WDW -- WL ! I've been looking at pictures and videos of our past trips. And planning our next (date TBD but not before 2021). We're also continuing to plan our already booked May 2021 DCL Alaska cruise, because even if we have to push the date further out it can be planned for [I am so hoping we will be able to go though... because that will mean that in a year from now things are back to some semblance of normal... I don't know that I really want to think about what it means if that is not the case, though I realize it is a real possibility]. So watching videos about the Disney Wonder and Alaska cruises and excursions :-)

I'm hoping that all Groupies are finding ways to cope with this situation. It's definitely unique, and hopefully will be a distant memory down the road. I think we have quite a ways to go before we get to the "new normal", whatever that might be.

I did find out one thing during all this...I'm addicted to the internet! We haven't had internet service at our house the past couple of days. I was able to get some access through my telephone data plan, but that was pretty limited. But it's amazing how dependent we are on the internet, and I couldn't go anywhere to get public internet connections with my iPad. But if you think about it, no access to websites (including this one) and no e-mail. And no access to streaming sites such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+.

I wasn't able to do my usual online banking, nor able to view the daily nosedive of my retirement funds.

I wasn't able to download any new Kindle books either.

After a couple of days and about 6 hours on hold in total, I was able to get tech support and get my system back up and running about an hour ago. So I'm once again plugged in to the world!

All in all, we certainly survived the ordeal. But it is incredible how crippling a lack of internet can be. :eek:

In Missouri, we are under a lock down except for essential services. All restaurants are pick up only or delivery. Most restaurants have asked their waitstaff to become delivery drivers which is a win/win for all.

I'm hoping that all Groupies are finding ways to cope with this situation. It's definitely unique, and hopefully will be a distant memory down the road. I think we have quite a ways to go before we get to the "new normal", whatever that might be.

I did find out one thing during all this...I'm addicted to the internet! We haven't had internet service at our house the past couple of days. I was able to get some access through my telephone data plan, but that was pretty limited. But it's amazing how dependent we are on the internet, and I couldn't go anywhere to get public internet connections with my iPad. But if you think about it, no access to websites (including this one) and no e-mail. And no access to streaming sites such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+.

I wasn't able to do my usual online banking, nor able to view the daily nosedive of my retirement funds.

I wasn't able to download any new Kindle books either.

After a couple of days and about 6 hours on hold in total, I was able to get tech support and get my system back up and running about an hour ago. So I'm once again plugged in to the world!

All in all, we certainly survived the ordeal. But it is incredible how crippling a lack of internet can be. :eek:
That would be tough, to lose internet for a long time. A decade ago, it would have been far less a problem; 20 years ago non-existent almost. It's a different world; I'm glad you're back up!

@Starwind Sounds like you're doing the best you can in a touchy situation. My wife is in healthcare, too, but she submitted a plan to do 75-80% of her teaching via distance learning to the state board of nursing which was just approved. We're not in a terribly affected region (yet), but it's a worry, nonetheless. Your plan for future trips sounds doable, too. Hang in there!

Well, I haven't been on for a while and just got caught up. It went from bad TP to the now no TP! I am normally not on much at this time of year because of my hectic schedule of preparing taxes. I am knee-deep in said taxes, but my groupie friends crossed my mind and I realized that I hadn't checked on anyone in a while.
While I am stocked on many staples (I am a believer in Amazon subscribe & save) and I have two refrigerators and two freezers, I am ok on all other things, but the craziness is here in TX also. We have a local chain of grocery stores in our area that is staying well stocked on meats and other things while our Walmart reminds me of some of the old craft stores that went out of business with bare shelves showing what was popular and not!
Our schools closed and went to online right after our spring breaks which was a little over a week ago. We started online services in the bulk of our churches. Our county is going on the stay in place tonight. My boss and I had already decided for me to go to one day a week for my work for him and that will still apply since he is considered an essential business (he double checked with our county commissioners).
Our county reported it's first confirmed case this morning so I am hoping and praying that our numbers stay low. I feel lucky since we are less than 60 miles from Dallas which has large numbers and is already on stay in place orders.
I hope all of the groupies stay safe and well. Since I have my son to watch out for with his health issues and my husband and I not being spring chickens anymore, we pray for a swift end to the madness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter