Wait... You mean I'm a GROWN UP? Heather's Its-Time-to-Take-Responsibility Journal.

Wow, it is a bit surprising just how easy it is to skip a few days between journals... Anyway, I had a few ehhh days so far this week. I didn't go over my points, I just think I ate too much of what I had. A turkey sandwich isn't bad, but a 12 inch turkey sub with extra mayo isn't great. But man, it was good... I checked this morning and I have gained back 2 of the 12 pounds I had lost. It didn't help that last night we had a reception after our orchestra concert for our Maestro who is leaving, and I had a small piece of cake. I had some fruit with it so I wouldn't eat as much cake as I usually would have, but I also had some sugary punch. So I buckled down today. More so than I had early on in the week, anyway. I used exactly the number of points I'm allowed (I'm much happier when I have some left over, even though I don't have to) and I took my dogs for a 30 minute walk this evening. Not an easy task walking two 50 lb dogs at the same time! I'm not looking for another 12 lb loss. I would love to see another one, but it probably wouldn't be healthy. At this point I just want a loss! I knew that the losses would slow down but I didn't expect it to happen so soon! But the good thing is I have the points tracker on WW Online so I can look to see what I did so different this week compared to last week. And I'm pretty sure I haven't walked as much this week as last. So back to the grind! Atleast this time I'm doing it for myself instead of just going along with my Mom. I'm not going to get down on myself!

Thanks! This morning one was already gone, so I know it is a temporary thing. By my actual weigh in day (Friday) I'm sure I will either be back down to where I was or have a loss (staying positive!).

Hope to hear that you had a loss!

I refuse to weigh myself again before Friday!!! But I will post then. Thanks!

I did pretty good today. I still have 3.5 points left for the day and haven't touched my weekly points or my activity points. I do plan on having dessert, but it won't go over the 3.5. I also got a walk in, but it seems like the world was against me for this walk! I had an okay day, but as soon as I started walking my face started burning (stupid allergies. STUPID POLLEN!) and the muscles that run down my shins burned like they were on fire! I figured it was because I didn't stretch and just started out too quickly. My ear phones refused to stay in so I had no music but had to keep my ipod in my pocket (kind of clunky...). I added 2 minutes on to my mile time which was sucky, but I couldn't get mad at myself. Mad at the world, yes, but not myself. Because this time last month I wouldn't have been out there walking at all. Atleast that is a step forward. I apologized to my mom a few times for doing nothing but b***h the whole time. She had a good sense of humor about the whole thing, which was good since I did NOT. And to top it all off when I got into the car I realized that the heels of my shoes (which I have worn for a grand total of 2 times to walk including today) had seperated from the rest of my shoes. *Sigh* But I did it. I walked. Two miles. And I won't be able to get out of bed in the morning. But I walked! I have to be happy with myself for that! Why else would I be doing it? I am definately looking forward to Friday to see that scale. Here's hoping for a loss of some sort! I wnat that 15 lb clippie!!!!!

Thanks! That was a pretty nasty day, but it's over and that's all that matters. I'm glad I walked too, but now I have to find new shoes to walk in today...

When I weighed myself this morning I was down a whole pound from last Friday. Normally that would REALLY get me down, but considering that I had a gain on Tuesday when I checked, I guess I really lost 3... But all that matters is that I lost and didn't gain! My flute professor remarked yesterday that I looked like I was feeling alot better and my grandmother said she thought she saw a difference. So I'm going to continue working. I am a bit confused as why I lost so little. I knew that the more you weigh the more you lose at first, and quickly. But I didn't expect it to taper off so quickly. Oh well. We'll see how this week goes!

Today has been a good day so far. It didn't start out that way, though. I was still up a 4am and gave in to having a sandwich and a bit of dessert from that night. But those all added up to the same number of points (just about) as I would have had for breakfast, so I just didn't have any when I woke up. I ended up being rustled out of bed by my family around 10am, so I was quite tired. However, my grandmother had the tv up to a deafening level (she won't wear her hearing aids) so Mom said we had to get out of the house. We decided to go ahead and get our walk done. We did the local park trail so we ended up doing 2 miles. We have been timing ourselves to see if we can better our mph to see when we will be ready for a 5k. Last time we did 18:44, this time it was 18:50. Not a horrible difference, but I don't like that it takes me 18-19 minutes to walk a mile. I feel like I'm holding my (much smaller) mom back - when she walks a mile she does it in about 16 minutes. But she is supporting me - thankfully! - and stays at my pace for the most part. I don't think I could do this without her. She keeps me on track, physically. I'm just too lazy to do it on my own!

Each time we walked, the muscles that run up my shin burn horribly and I get to the point where I can't lift the toe of my shoe when I take a step. We just kind of hit the ground running (so to speak) to get that time a bit lower, so by the time we have done 1/4 mile my muslces are done. When we finish the mile and slow down for the trek back my legs don't hurt any more. So besides stretching more before we walk and getting actual walking shoes (instead of heavier running shoes) we are going to start just walking at a good pace that will push me but won't hurt my legs, until my muscles are in shape. We will just time ourselves every few weeks to see what we are up to. It is much more enjoyable when I'm not stressing about those extra few seconds.

I have been looking at the Weight Watchers Walk-It 5K Challenge recently. I think it would be better for my muscles to start out slow as it requires. You begin at 10 minutes a day, and over 6 weeks you work up to 45 minutes at a strong pace. But I don't know how our 2 miles walks would fit in, so I'll have to figure that out.

All in all I am pretty happy about how things are going. I feel good enough to take another walk with the dogs today so I should get atleast another mile done today. Racking up those numbers for the April Challenge and the Walk to Disney World!

I hope everyone is having a great week - good luck getting healthier!

Heather - Do you think it might help to walk slowly for the first few minutes, to warm up? Also, some people swear it is better to stretch after a warm up. Maybe these ideas will help with your muscle pain.
I think you're making a good choice to stress less about speed at this point. If you are worrying about speed, and this is making walks less fun, then you're less likely to continue. This is my philosophy for running, so maybe it will transfer to your walking routine.
Keep up the good work!

Heather - Do you think it might help to walk slowly for the first few minutes, to warm up? Also, some people swear it is better to stretch after a warm up. Maybe these ideas will help with your muscle pain.
I think you're making a good choice to stress less about speed at this point. If you are worrying about speed, and this is making walks less fun, then you're less likely to continue. This is my philosophy for running, so maybe it will transfer to your walking routine.
Keep up the good work!

MAKHayes, thanks for the good word. I've been reading a few blogs about sports health and saw the tip of stretching after walking, so I guess I'll give that a try. It can't hurt. Mom has agreed to just walk instead of timing our mile, so my goal now is just to push myself enough to get exercise. Thanks!

I managed to pack a lunch today for the first time since I've started watching what I eat and I did a pretty good job (if I do say so myself... :goodvibes). Chicken lunchmeat and a salad with string cheese. I came home feeling hungry, but not famished. I figure feeling a bit of a hunger is a good thing when I have to. It makes me appreciate the taste of the food much more. All in all I feel pretty good about today!

Heather, you are such an inspiration!! I'm in a similar position with wanting to lose weight, and it always makes it easier to hear how people *really* lose the weight...maybe I'll start my own journal??

One thing that I found is *really* yummy and good for you is greek yogurt. It doesn't taste like regular yogurt, but it's pretty good. I like the Oikos brand with strawberry or blueberry--so yummy!!

Good luck with everything!!! And thank you for the inspiration!!!! :goodvibes

Heather, you are such an inspiration!! I'm in a similar position with wanting to lose weight, and it always makes it easier to hear how people *really* lose the weight...maybe I'll start my own journal??

One thing that I found is *really* yummy and good for you is greek yogurt. It doesn't taste like regular yogurt, but it's pretty good. I like the Oikos brand with strawberry or blueberry--so yummy!!

Good luck with everything!!! And thank you for the inspiration!!!! :goodvibes

Thanks! That made me feel good about taking the time to journal. Absolutely start a journal! I'd love to read it. Things are so much easier when you have other people to commiserate with. A friend of mine raves about greek yogurt and I have been thinking about trying some. I love it in mediterranean food, but I've been a bit wary of trying it on its own. What can it hurt? (I love your boards name, by the way.)

1.8 pounds down - I get my 15 lb clippie!!! Woo hoo! Yesterday was a bit of a nasty day as far as temptation goes, but I didn't go over my points. Went to the doctor today to review an echocardiogram and blood tests and everything was great. The doctor kept shaking his head in disbelief and remarking about how my sugar and cholesterol were perfect. I can see why he is shocked. 375 lbs and perfect cholesterol? I'm surprised myself!

Thanks Heather...I think I will start a journal!! I've asked my friends to keep me on track, and while I love them dearly, they're not very good at keeping me in line, haha. I'll start on my journal tomorrow, and send you the link! :) And I'm glad you like my name, too, haha!

Yeah for a loss! Congrats on the 15 lb. loss! And, yeah for the great blood work!

Thanks Heather...I think I will start a journal!! I've asked my friends to keep me on track, and while I love them dearly, they're not very good at keeping me in line, haha. I'll start on my journal tomorrow, and send you the link! :) And I'm glad you like my name, too, haha!

Yay! I'm glad you've decided to start! I haven't been on the boards this week - finals are coming up rapidly. But I look forward to reading it! And thanks for all the support!

Thanks CC!

As of weigh in this morning I'm at 371 - I get my 20 lb clippie! I am out of my diuretic so hopefully next week I won't have any water weight and I'll be that much closer to my 25 lb clippe. :cool1: This week was a bit rough on my diet. We have a concert tonight so this week has been full of rehearsals. After rehearsal on Wednesday our director bought us all pizza - I can't resist Ingleside Pizza. It is straight from God! So I caved and had two pieces of cheese pizza, but stayed within my points for the day. Thursday I didn't have enough cash to get anything healthy for lunch so I had a Chikfila Sandwich (closest to campus and nice and cheap). So I am EXTREMELY fortunate to lose at all! The big difference between now and the last time I tried to lose weight - the first slip up, I quit. Not this time! I have officially hit my first mini goal set by the Weight Watchers Online tools - on to the next goal!

Congrats on the 20 lb chippie!
I know how hard it can be to stick with a plan when you're busy, but you're doing great! And in reality, the life of a musician can be busy and unpredictable. Getting on track with good habits now will help you in the future.

Good luck on all your exams this week, Heather!! (if they are this week, haha!) Hope everything is going along swimmingly with your loss, and congrats on your 20lb clippie!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter