Walker or Randy's for ECV rental?

msr709

DISfan forever
I've used Walker last year and was pleased but I was wondering about Randy's rentals? Is there any major difference between the two places? I know Walker charges $30 a day but Randy has a set price of $175 per week. Anyone that has tried Randy can you give me some feedback either good or bad? TIA :cool1: :moped:

Walker's cap is at $199.50 for a week and the daily rate drops after the first week.

I had never used Randy's, but they require you to be present to both accept and return the ECV while Walker will have it at the hotel in advance waiting for you and will pick it up after you leave.

i used walker in 1/04 and randy's in 1/05.

randy's is less expensive, plus they seemed to charge days on a 24 hr day, so for example 3 p.m. sat to 3 p.m sun was one day, whereas walker considered it 2 days (based on my pricing research for the 1/05 trip, things could have changed).

both ecv's were very nice. the model i got from randy's had several more pieces, and as we were staying mostly off site and using a car trunk to transport it, it was a little bit of an issue, but not too bad.

randy's came right away for both drop off and pick up. had to be done in person, and since the ecv had more parts than i was familiar with from the walker rental the previous year, i was glad to have the dismantling/assembling shown to me in person. i remember having trouble dismantling the walker ecv the previous year since it came fully assembled and dropped off at bell services at pop century. i'd printed out directions in advance, and it came with directions, too, but they weren't clear enough and i got stuck on the step where you fold down the tiller. a passing worker who was emptying garbage cans in the parking lot helped me figure it out. took him awhile, too. dropping the ecv off at bell services was very convienent, but as i said, randy's did come fast and when promised.

walker gave me a shower cap for the controls for the rain, randy's made me sign not to use it in the rain.

from walker, i was able to rent for a separate battery charger to use in the hotel room at night so i would not have to assemble the ecv to bring it into the room (i was using a car then, too). randy's did not have that option for the model they'd given me (unfortunately) but he said i should ask about it at the time of the reservation next time, and they might be able to rig something up.

for me, there are definitely plusses and minuses to both companies. on the whole, both were positive experiences, but with differences. i'm not sure what i'll do for my next trip.

-dj

dj2 said:

randy's is less expensive, plus they seemed to charge days on a 24 hr day, so for example 3 p.m. sat to 3 p.m sun was one day, whereas walker considered it 2 days (based on my pricing research for the 1/05 trip, things could have changed).

both ecv's were very nice. the model i got from randy's had several more pieces, and as we were staying mostly off site and using a car trunk to transport it, it was a little bit of an issue, but not too bad.

randy's came right away for both drop off and pick up. had to be done in person, and since the ecv had more parts than i was familiar with from the walker rental the previous year, i was glad to have the dismantling/assembling shown to me in person. i remember having trouble dismantling the walker ecv the previous year since it came fully assembled and dropped off at bell services at pop century. i'd printed out directions in advance, and it came with directions, too, but they weren't clear enough and i got stuck on the step where you fold down the tiller. a passing worker who was emptying garbage cans in the parking lot helped me figure it out. took him awhile, too. dropping the ecv off at bell services was very convienent, but as i said, randy's did come fast and when promised.

walker gave me a shower cap for the controls for the rain, randy's made me sign not to use it in the rain.

from walker, i was able to rent for a separate battery charger to use in the hotel room at night so i would not have to assemble the ecv to bring it into the room (i was using a car then, too). randy's did not have that option for the model they'd given me (unfortunately) but he said i should ask about it at the time of the reservation next time, and they might be able to rig something up.

for me, there are definitely plusses and minuses to both companies. on the whole, both were positive experiences, but with differences. i'm not sure what i'll do for my next trip.

-dj

I agree with everything that dj said about Randy's Mobility. I have not used Walker's yet, but I have heard a lot of good reviews about them and others.

I also confirm that Walker wanted to charge me an extra day compared to Randy's, buy did not have a weekly charge.

I rented a pooh size, heavy duty scooter from Randy's Mobility from Saturday to Saturday for $200.00. They said that it would only cost an extra $100.00 for the second week.

I think the piglet size, standard scooter rents for $175.00 for the same time, but I didn't rent that one.

Walker was going to charge me $39.00 per day for eight days or $312.00. They said the piglet size, standard scooter was $30.00 per day or for eight days, $240.00.

So the choice for me was price.

Please correct me if I am wrong about the prices, but this is what Walker emailed me about prices for needing a pooh size scooter arriving on a Saturday and departing on a Saturday.

As I said before, I have heard excellent reviews on Walker and Randy's.

Sincerely, Ray

dj2 said:

randy's is less expensive, plus they seemed to charge days on a 24 hr day. . .

-dj

Thank you for your responses. Does this mean that Randy's ECV were larger or bulkier than the one from Walker? And we can't use Randy's ECV in the rain? Most of the time the rain comes completely by surprise, what do you do then? I always use a rain poncho and I was draping it over the ECV when it rained.??

i don't remember noticing them being different in size/bulk, just in # of pieces. and i the rain thing still mystifies me. i don't remember anyone else ever posting that they had to sign off on agreeing not to use the scooter in the rain, but i swear that's what i had to do when it was dropped off. the guy's comment was something like, oh it's january, it doesn't rain that much this time of year.... of course, it did.

-dj

msr709 said:
Thank you for your responses. Does this mean that Randy's ECV were larger or bulkier than the one from Walker?

Do you mean are the scooters bigger or smaller? The standard or piglet size is smaller than the heavy duty or pooh size scooters. Some scooters are three wheel and some are four wheel scooters. I think that both companies have similar size scooters. I rented a pooh size scooter that was three wheeled and I enjoyed using it.

msr709 said:
And we can't use Randy's ECV in the rain?

I would imagine that any company would frown upon you using their scooters in a downpour. I guess that you should treat the scooter as if it were your own scooter that you bought. I think that the electronic parts that may be exposed to a downpour of rain may not be a good thing. I took one of these Glad saran wrap thingies that has an elastic band around it to fit over bowls. I figure that I could put that over the steering electronic part. Also an umbrella is a good thing to carry. I have a small one that fits in my waist pack.

And some scooter seats are not all plastic covered. Some scooter seats have a fabric component. I guess if rain soaked through the fabric and into the foam that it might get squeeshy, wet and smelly. I had one of these cheap $.99 plastic tarps and or ponchos that I wear and could also put over the scooter if I went inside a restaurant to eat and I thought that it might rain. I could throw it away at the end of the day.

And when I rented a scooter from Randy's Mobility, they did have me sign a statement that I would not leave the scooter out in the rain. I think that this is common sense stuff.

msr709 said:
Most of the time the rain comes completely by surprise, what do you do then? I always use a rain poncho and I was draping it over the ECV when it rained.??

Me, too. Have a magical vacation.

Sincerely, Ray

Does anyone have a link to the Walker site I don't know the full company name? I am doing some reaserch for my husband.

Thanks

hlynn said:
Does anyone have a link to the Walker site I don't know the full company name? I am doing some reaserch for my husband.

Thanks

Look at the top of these boards there is a sticky "DISabilities FAQ" the links to all the companies are in there. HTH :cool1:

I used Randy's mobility and I can only say good things. The ECV was delivered to me exactly on time. Operating instructions were clear and complete. The unit was exactly what I needed and worked very well. You can't beat the rate. Pickup was on time.

I will definitely use this service again!

Jeanne

:sunny:

RaySharpton said:
I would imagine that any company would frown upon you using their scooters in a downpour. I guess that you should treat the scooter as if it were your own scooter that you bought. I think that the electronic parts that may be exposed to a downpour of rain may not be a good thing. I took one of these Glad saran wrap thingies that has an elastic band around it to fit over bowls. I figure that I could put that over the steering electronic part. Also an umbrella is a good thing to carry. I have a small one that fits in my waist pack.

i agree wholeheartly that the ecv should certainly be protected and treated carefully, and that electrical parts and plush fabric should not be exposed to water.

However, the paper i had to sign did not say it's ok to use in a gentle rain but not a downpour, or to use in a light rain while covered with plastic, etc. it said simply that i could not use it in the rain.

i've been known to bend rules as i think common sense dictates, but i know there are some who don't like to and i just wanted any potential renters to know in advance what they'd be agreeing to.

-dj

I used Walker's in early MAy and was every so pleased with them. It was the first time i had ever used a ecv when i checked in to the CR it was there waiting for me, and when i had to turn it it i just drove up to DME and the bell man took it back to baggage services for me so for that convinece alone it was great. Walkers does provide you with a shoer cap that goes over the controls so if a rain storm does pop up you can cover the most important part. If it looked like rain when we were going somewhere inside i would put a poncho over itto try and keep it dry. worked most of the time unless it got really windy.
The ecv I rented from walker had Vinyl seats so no fabric to get wet, but you do sweat a lot becuase of it. To help wiht that i used a towel from the hotel room to sit on and drape over the back of the seat, boy did that make a difference.
As for cost i rented the Pooh size one and it was 224 for 8 days. that was booked thru my travel agent at AAA. not sure if they have somehting worked out with them but that is what my charge was.
If you have nay specfic questions feel free to emial me or PM me.

Walker is great in a pinch. I had my power wheelchair break at a convention in Orlando and was planning to do DIsney after. When the convention broke up, I called Walker and by the time I got to the All Star Music (about an hour) Walker had arrived with the scooter (a small one that would fit me) and I was ready to head for the parks.

I ave not used Randy's. I have used Walker's many times and I have always received great service.

I have been using Walker for almost five years now. Service has been fine. I wish they had a discount for frequent/repeat users. In April when I spoke to John, he took my email address, but I have yet to receive any emails.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter