"Walking" a Reservation

Should DVC implement more restrictive policies toward reservation modifications?

• Yes

Votes: 72 38.7%
  • No

Votes: 114 61.3%

• Total voters
Haha!! Yep, I am one of the clueless ones. I have never heard of "walking" a reservation before and we have been DVC members since 1999. :rotfl2:
Then you probably own at a resort or go at times where walking is seldom, if ever, necessary.

IMO, walking is akin to the Prisoner's Dilemma.

Then you probably own at a resort or go at times where walking is seldom, if ever, necessary.

IMO, walking is akin to the Prisoner's Dilemma.
We own at VWL and usually go during Summer vacation. "Walking" a reservation may have been useful to me when making reservations where I needed to change the dates due to no availability...I had just never heard of this.

We own at VWL and usually go during Summer vacation. "Walking" a reservation may have been useful to me when making reservations where I needed to change the dates due to no availability...I had just never heard of this.

Walking is very rarely useful at 7 months. For VWL, the Holiday season (11 month booking) is the only time it may be required. Haven't heard of issues at VWL for quite some time, though.

I'm pretty indifferent to walking, though I do think if more people start to do it Disney might have to address it. I think they could institute a 2 change max within the 11 month to 10 month period....or charge for changes during that time. I would guess that if you sampled 100 reservations that made a change in that time frame a high percentage are walkers. I own at BLT & BWV and have always been able to get a std view when booking at 8am 11 months out, but i can see how some people would be inclined to walk to make sure they got the tougher categories.

At 11 months, it's impossible for a day in the middle to be unavailable. You must have been booking a few days later.

Not impossible at all, and actually common when it comes to the club level studios at AKV. If you look right now, I can try to book for 11mo out today (or tomorrow now that 1/22/18 is not available), there is no availability for 1/26/18. My question is, how would I be able to walk a reservation with the day or days missing in the middle of the week?

Not impossible at all, and actually common when it comes to the club level studios at AKV. If you look right now, I can try to book for 11mo out today (or tomorrow now that 1/22/18 is not available), there is no availability for 1/26/18. My question is, how would I be able to walk a reservation with the day or days missing in the middle of the week?
You've encountered an anomaly, and I'd recommend calling Member Services to question them about it. Based on the rules about booking, it is impossible for a day in the middle, past the 11 month window, to go missing. Ask yourself, if there are five club-level studios, how could there be one available on 1/24, but not 1/26? It's not "common" at all. It's a mistake.

It just seems like every time I have gone on to look for a studio there almost always has been a day or two in the middle of the week that isn't available. As an owner at AKV, I have looked often. My husband works from our room, and we do not go into the parks, so we enjoy the resort and amenities of club level. It would be much easier for me to get a reservation if those days in the middle were available

It just seems like every time I have gone on to look for a studio there almost always has been a day or two in the middle of the week that isn't available. As an owner at AKV, I have looked often. My husband works from our room, and we do not go into the parks, so we enjoy the resort and amenities of club level. It would be much easier for me to get a reservation if those days in the middle were available

Strange. DH really likes concierge so I keep an eye on it but don't think I've ever seen that for concierge. If the day was gone ahead it was also gone for the days before it. However I have seen it on a value studio. Could be a glitch, but something nags me about it and makes me believe it's DVC pulling the inventory ahead of time to send over to CRO. I have't talked to them about it but I have talked to them about pulling both Concierge and value rooms for CRO. They have the right but I think it should be kept for owners. They shouldn't have the right to pull it prior to the 11 month window though and that's where I think they might be fudging.

Most of the time, we're flexible and it isn't an issue. Although, there are rare occasions, especially with a large group, the walking is VERY useful.

Called member services just now to ask them about this. The rep said that was very strange, thought it might be a refurbishment issue, and called the AKV resort and was told that they had no idea why that room was blocked out for that date.

Last edited:
Strange. DH really likes concierge so I keep an eye on it but don't think I've ever seen that for concierge. If the day was gone ahead it was also gone for the days before it. However I have seen it on a value studio. Could be a glitch, but something nags me about it and makes me believe it's DVC pulling the inventory ahead of time to send over to CRO. I have't talked to them about it but I have talked to them about pulling both Concierge and value rooms for CRO. They have the right but I think it should be kept for owners. They shouldn't have the right to pull it prior to the 11 month window though and that's where I think they might be fudging.

Called member services just now to ask them about this. The rep set that was very strange and called the AKV resort and was told that they had no idea why that room was blocked out for that date.

Thanks for your input on this!! It makes me feel a little better about trying to get a room for September 2018. Want to bring our daughter and first grandchild for his first Disney trip and we are hoping to get into the club level.

You've encountered an anomaly, and I'd recommend calling Member Services to question them about it. Based on the rules about booking, it is impossible for a day in the middle, past the 11 month window, to go missing. Ask yourself, if there are five club-level studios, how could there be one available on 1/24, but not 1/26? It's not "common" at all. It's a mistake.
Is it possible there's a cash reservation for the 26th?

MG

They can't (or, at least, shouldn't be able to) pull cash inventory out of DVC availability prior to the 11 month mark.
Really? Didn't know that. At one point in history cash ressies had the advantage.
Back when DVC Members could book 11 months from checkout, cash ressies were able to book 11 months from check in.
Obviously the Member booking rules have changed, but wasn't sure about cash ressies.

MG

IMG_0005.PNG OK, here it is again, and I think seems like anytime i look. How is this not the norm? Looking for a week next February. I can't get a week straight, there are always day(s) unavailable mid week

View attachment 225209 OK, here it is again, and I think seems like anytime i look. How is this not the norm? Looking for a week next February. I can't get a week straight, there are always day(s) unavailable mid week

The concierge always book fast, the amount of rooms are very limited. You have to try and book on the 8am mark 11 months out.

View attachment 225209 OK, here it is again, and I think seems like anytime i look. How is this not the norm? Looking for a week next February. I can't get a week straight, there are always day(s) unavailable mid week

I guess I don't understand what you're confused about?? We wanted a reservation at BWV for F&W in late Sept. from a Wed. to Sun. and by the time my actual booking day arrived the Wed. & Thurs. were both gone (which I anticipated and which is why I walked it). I wasn't baffled by it tho. I assumed it's usually caused by other people booking 4-5 night "long weekends" - some which go from Sun. to Wed. or Thurs. and others like us starting say from Tues. or Wed. to Sat. or Sun. I actually expect mid-week to go as fast or faster as the weekends due to the overlapping on either end... According to what you posted you could technically get a weeks worth of nights from Wed. to Tues. - just not Sun. to Sun. or Sat. to Sat.

The concierge always book fast, the amount of rooms are very limited. You have to try and book on the 8am mark 11 months out.

Yes, Thank you, I am very familiar with that fact. My comment was based on the continuing conversation about there always being days in the middle of the 11 month +7 days that are unavailable. Comments have been made that it isn't possible, I was just showing how this always seems to be the case when I look to book at the 11 month mark. How I can't get a whole week at 8am at 11 months because of a day or two mid week being unavailable

Called member services just now to ask them about this. The rep said that was very strange, thought it might be a refurbishment issue, and called the AKV resort and was told that they had no idea why that room was blocked out for that date.

Again, this is what I was referring to. I understand how two consecutive days at the beginning of the week are booked. It's the days in the middle of the trip that are unavailable that seems to be "an anomaly". Where the day at 11 month mark is booked, the following day is not, the next day is booked. How do you walk a reservation when you can't get a whole consecutive week?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter