• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Well I finally have a chance to write about our stay 5/17-5/20. at the Swan.

The room was fine. Housekeeping was good.

Biggest problem was the lack of the friendship boats to Epcot and the studios. We walked to boardwalk and took the boat to the gateway.

One night hubs got lost coming back and end up pushing me and the wheelchair into the Il Mulino side door. The manager was nice and let us continue on and out. It was quiet but sure smelled delicious. We need to eat there sometime!

then son3 joined us briefly. He came from Lima, Peru and had only the clothes on his back and - smelled like an alpaca. A long story. He was washing clothes at the Dolphin at 1 am after his bag came.

we ate at the Garden Grove character breakfast. The food is always good there. I think they have 2 omelet chefs now? Maybe just for weekends?

we walked our luggage over to the Beach Club.

looking forward to our next trips at the Swan for food and wine and pre Christmas.

Was thinking of going to Picaubu for a casual breakfast for a Disney Springs/resort pool day? How is breakfast? I was wondering what Lyons style potatos were lol?

Also I see Picabu is open 24 hours but what time do they stop making hot foods at night, we will probably be coming in about 8/9 pm and may want dinner, trying to figure out if we need to stop prior to getting to the Dolphin

I went in one night pretty late, close to midnight and it was quite busy! The taco part was open but I saw people with other hot food too. As for breakfast, we ate there twice, I thought it was pretty good. We mostly did omlettes and eggs. The only weird thing was on the menu it said you could order two eggs a la carte any style, I asked for two scrambled and the server had a cow. She wanted to just scoop me the premade eggs from the "buffet" servings and I kept saying "no" I wanted two eggs scrambled fresh. :rolleyes2 Anyway finally got those. The fruits were always fresh and we all grabbed yogurts several times. Prices are reasonable.

DD got coffee and an egg sandwich from Fuel on morning and brought to the pool, it looked good but Fuel was busy with conventioneers.

Do any of the fireworks view rooms facing Spaceship Earth at The Dolphin not have a balcony? I haven't been able to find this information just searching around. I'm interested in a room of that category and requesting a view of Spaceship Earth, but I would be completely fantastic with not having a balcony. Thanks for any insight! It has been a long long time since my last stay at The Dolphin.

In the Summer, is Garden Grove a character breakfast every day? Or is it only on the weekends?

Was thinking of going to Picaubu for a casual breakfast for a Disney Springs/resort pool day? How is breakfast? I was wondering what Lyons style potatos were lol?
We enjoyed eating at Picabu every day. I am not a big potato eater (as i avoid carbs) but the Lyonnaise style potatoes are just sliced, and fried with onions, well more to it then that but really they are not like amazing but they are good.

Also I see Picabu is open 24 hours but what time do they stop making hot foods at night, we will probably be coming in about 8/9 pm and may want dinner, trying to figure out if we need to stop prior to getting to the Dolphin

I would recommend Fresh Mediterranean for breakfast at the resort if you have AAA. It’s $27 per adult without the AAA discount, $21.60 with, and you get an omelette station, fresh pressed juices and all the Starbucks coffee you care to drink.

Picabu’s breakfast is more like counter service. I do like their ciabatta sandwich with bacon and egg. Not sure if they’re “Lyonnaise” style, but they do serve small red-skinned potatoes fried with onions. I call them home fries.

Picabu serves its hot food menu including the taqueria until 1:00 AM every day. Between 1:00 and 6:00 AM, you can still get pizza and grab & go items like premade sandwiches and salads.

We love the Taqueria and think the tacos are a great value. You get 3 well-stuffed tacos with any filling (chicken, steak, pork or fish) or combo of them for $10, and you can use the “Salsa Corner” to sauce them. AAA discount is available on all the food at Picabu, but you are charged a 13% service charge on everything there.

IMG_7820.JPG
Do any of the fireworks view rooms facing Spaceship Earth at The Dolphin not have a balcony? I haven't been able to find this information just searching around. I'm interested in a room of that category and requesting a view of Spaceship Earth, but I would be completely fantastic with not having a balcony. Thanks for any insight! It has been a long long time since my last stay at The Dolphin.
Yes, for the most part the balcony rooms are every other - meaning every other room has a balcony (so they aren't right next to each other and makes for less crowded/more privacy). You should be able to request an Epcot view with windows instead of a balcony (though you may not get it unless you pay for it). Just curious, why are you really hoping you don't have a balcony? The upcharge?

I would recommend Fresh Mediterranean for breakfast at the resort if you have AAA. It’s $27 per adult without the AAA discount, $21.60 with, and you get an omelette station, fresh pressed juices and all the Starbucks coffee you care to drink.

Picabu’s breakfast is more like counter service. I do like their ciabatta sandwich with bacon and egg. Not sure if they’re “Lyonnaise” style, but they do serve small red-skinned potatoes fried with onions. I call them home fries.

Picabu serves its hot food menu including the taqueria until 1:00 AM every day. Between 1:00 and 6:00 AM, you can still get pizza and grab & go items like premade sandwiches and salads.

We love the Taqueria and think the tacos are a great value. You get 3 well-stuffed tacos with any filling (chicken, steak, pork or fish) or combo of them for $10, and you can use the “Salsa Corner” to sauce them. AAA discount is available on all the food at Picabu, but you are charged a 13% service charge on everything there.
You get charged a 13% service charge at Picabu? Does that happen at some places and not others? I'm trying to budget my dining expenses. Thanks!

Yes, for the most part the balcony rooms are every other - meaning every other room has a balcony (so they aren't right next to each other and makes for less crowded/more privacy). You should be able to request an Epcot view with windows instead of a balcony (though you may not get it unless you pay for it). Just curious, why are you really hoping you don't have a balcony? The upcharge?

Thanks for the photo! I would prefer not to have a balcony because I have a small child who is very active and the balcony makes me nervous. I don't let him out of my sight, but it makes me nervous anyway.

Last edited:
You get charged a 13% service charge at Picabu? Does that happen at some places and not others? I'm trying to budget my dining expenses. Thanks!

It’s only at Picabu and Room Service.

They call Picabu a “buffeteria” which means the same thing as a cafeteria where you get a tray, choose your items, and pay for them ala carte.

Because it’s quick service, most people don’t tip, and they collect the service charge for the employees. I’m not crazy about it, but FWIW, they do try to earn it by bringing you the food when it’s ready. If you ask for extra anything (cheese, guacamole, etc.), they pile it on.

All the other S/D restaurants, except maybe Fuel, are typical where you tip normally when you pay your bill. Fuel is a grab & go that I have yet to patronize so IDK if they charge a service fee. I’m thinking not, but then again, I didn’t expect it at Picabu.

Only at Picabu. They added the 13% service charge several years back because, with the restaurant being primary a buffet self-service type restaurant, and with the fact that there are staff people who will bus the tables, and most guests not leaving a tip of any sort. I usually leave some additional on the table.

Is the AAA discount available for the dining upcharge for full buffet breakfast using the spg platinum breakfast coupons? Also is the upcharge different for the dolphin restaurant vs the swan restaurant?

Thanks!!

Thanks for the photo! I would prefer not to have a balcony because I have a small child who is very active and the balcony makes me nervous. I don't let him out of my sight, but it makes me nervous anyway.

FYI: the rooms in this wing (in the photo mentioned) face Epcot and are fireworks view, but I don't think that they face Spaceship earth. They look toward the International gateway across the lake toward the Boardwalk and YC/BC areas. You are able to specifically book a fireworks view room without (or with) the balcony. If you book online scroll down the various room categories and read the descriptions carefully to get what you want. The price is lower without a balcony! Which works for you!:-) YAY!
Be aware that these rooms have a fairly long convoluted walk from the lobby and elevators. However, the view is lovely and a bargain at many Dolphin discount prices.

I LOVE that you can book whatever view/room type that you want at the Dolphin! I would request a high floor for the best view. Enjoy!

I have a room request question that I've not seen answered. I know where to enter a room request, but I don't know what parameters to use or what is a realistic request. We booked a room at the Swan using SPG point and our reservation indicates a "traditional room". According to this link - https://www.swandolphin.com/accommodations/swan.html - there are Traditional, Resort, and Deluxe Rooms. As everyone else, we would like the best view possible, perfect world would be on a high floor, with a balcony, and looking towards Epcot. With our room category being "traditional", does this eliminate that possibility? and if so, what is best case scenario with room views in the "traditional" category? Those of you who have had success with a room request, what was the exact language of your request?

Traditional room means the most basic views (could be parking lot, roof tops, delivery areas - anything) and no balcony. My son and DIL usually book this category (2X every year for 10+ years) and are often granted a small upgrade to a nicer view or maybe a higher floor. They have never been given a balcony nor a fireworks view. (OTOH, they have never had a low floor room or the round 'porthole' window.) Balconies and views are a paid upgrade at the Dolphin in every category. To go from a traditional room to a fireworks view with a balcony is going through multiple upgrades from the least expensive room to the most expensive.(except deluxe/suites) I think that you would be lucky indeed to get one with a traditional/standard room booking. You can still request one, though, and if going when they have lots of availability, you might get lucky. I wouldn't count on it though. If you really want a balcony, you could call and ask how much of an upcharge that you would be looking at to get one. (Don't forget to check any/all discounts that you might qualify for)

Then you could request fireworks view and hope for that smaller upgrade. OR you could request a high floor, which is not necessarily an upgrade exactly, but would be a nicer room and view. DS usually requests 'the best room and view possible'.

Good luck!

ETA: just realized that you booked with points. IDK how upgrades work for points based reservations as we have always booked with cash. I doubt that it would improve your chances to get much more than a resort view, however. (Resort view is a view of the grounds at the Swan/Dolphin and can be quite nice.) If you are SPG gold or Platinum members, you have a better chance of an upgrade.

Last edited:
So, we're booked for May of 2019 and I had to call in to get my children added to our reservation (2nd time i've needed to do this - but oh well) and the guy on the Reservations line is swearing up and down that there is no way there is a sofa sleeper in the king rooms at the swan. I told him its all over the website and there are photos. He tells me that's all wrong - because his system says differently. So, i'm coming to you all for help to calm my crazy....

Is there a sofa sleeper in a traditional king room at the Swan?

Traditional room means the most basic views (could be parking lot, roof tops, delivery areas - anything) and no balcony. My son and DIL usually book this category (2X every year for 10+ years) and are often granted a small upgrade to a nicer view or maybe a higher floor. They have never been given a balcony nor a fireworks view. (OTOH, they have never had a low floor room or the round 'porthole' window.) Balconies and views are a paid upgrade at the Dolphin in every category. To go from a traditional room to a fireworks view with a balcony is going through multiple upgrades from the least expensive room to the most expensive.(except deluxe/suites) I think that you would be lucky indeed to get one with a traditional/standard room booking. You can still request one, though, and if going when they have lots of availability, you might get lucky. I wouldn't count on it though. If you really want a balcony, you could call and ask how much of an upcharge that you would be looking at to get one. (Don't forget to check any/all discounts that you might qualify for)

Then you could request fireworks view and hope for that smaller upgrade. OR you could request a high floor, which is not necessarily an upgrade exactly, but would be a nicer room and view. DS usually requests 'the best room and view possible'.

Good luck!

ETA: just realized that you booked with points. IDK how upgrades work for points based reservations as we have always booked with cash. I doubt that it would improve your chances to get much more than a resort view, however. (Resort view is a view of the grounds at the Swan/Dolphin and can be quite nice.) If you are SPG gold or Platinum members, you have a better chance of an upgrade.

I'm not sure about with points but I always book a standard room. My last two trips I requested a balcony or patio just for the heck of it and got a patio facing the pool one trip and a balcony the last trip. I didn't pay extra for either one. The trip for the patio was the week after the hurricane last year and the trip with the balcony was the first week this month. I always figure it can't hurt to ask. I've almost always had some sort of fireworks view and before the patio trip, have always been on a higher floor. Might be the luck of the draw.
dgmDAC5KPaaowKLpHo3jENxEBdrk5NeeD68ukNW2CCJoRxtwEO8GiKJovRu7AWdYhxj0gU_GrgEhzUFm2hpu_zHWoTmXTW0xzaN_b_bHJpI7FxbDgw1MtSOPRwZyzZD4nfKG1JI-M6eyuGO5EfcutyQs3I6bYBODOULg8mzN2a82O5_inV1rNoC5nVmLpCTN7DFSP8pGLjDihd7BEfDlnsleqERmvXrJPwk23EsrarvcbVynj-zLGrXkTLC_igKJ4fS7l4OBc1xNYFtWifNskFFb7MG1lybhziUq4YfBsqv4FDvCDcpmGJbHZUCEfYYtyYBi63ckYBKoPnLfObFfigAzIfnXYX4d0GfXdK40X_GKaxzR78hCHtXNuKVBmhXNkANRmoLgnaMzhxp7FjqakIPKIRVRuAnYqEeebDf0aT_4Mg6psZe8mX2SraLUxw5tfO8DPdsiq14b_SbflfznGYz5Haqgb4McYxSE28PNjjr19q2ZiqqmfVnehrmQvbjGrmlz5QviMF74co7TXUe_JQBzbRZPqcDGFJDsWOBxHFodX8VQMmwWhtrmsqm76jZJWROblm5WkomCIprDoSIWVi21hMpIIaS7JdlmyJk=w1787-h1339-no

XMiw-3_P7gz8MiURiM5k67KpHN8cTD54oJ_LiydDkuSDGRRZzzcR9o3HpKpRhvPmM2MY2Au5CGqXchzkPaSDzLVv7G6y_ybTnVdit63yAsC31SVoxAfMgVRQ-Je-zsqY5FnE9asr-iSdJo1EZXYV21JwtmVFvClBUtZjgogNCkBLpBYIkQvvJYy_AX49QenKFPlzy0hE9fwGPrPE6D7tXxv--ipUCXcfDTpowk7nDB9hucwgP18NtuIyUCV0_EpjiOI0Xh54Mkez2TSDFrYjo3UABRis0dpZnnu2r_epi0T8EVzS0dGHAPknCZa9Ppi1Ji-0THIKNN7SGP5x8X97ht-KDGLP8wjNoKkpXXN1y2NL0Rr-J2wPzN7XKy-dYM9cBZiNn97RcsEr_mQ1gDIDG4e2xq-4DOSHdL9Bz4k-ya02W6fW1dgkLwk_rM1a55kl_dU8rNQzLNlYpquhSE4hafnRKuFL4wKde93YNRfwlLz2dmDYWfznMTjp-LtfzeJNCEd2aMIqSu_dL8YzN0CP20r9x6iIrCS-LXs7j9hz53ikjNCPEhGUnhhvWhdi8aPwwF8Q1GhdcwzVNjiUTkHTDOBw9gGAsb5fclOFdmk=w1787-h1339-no

So, we're booked for May of 2019 and I had to call in to get my children added to our reservation (2nd time i've needed to do this - but oh well) and the guy on the Reservations line is swearing up and down that there is no way there is a sofa sleeper in the king rooms at the swan. I told him its all over the website and there are photos. He tells me that's all wrong - because his system says differently. So, i'm coming to you all for help to calm my crazy....

There is not a regular sleeper sofa, only this (next to bed):
wes1018gr.158440_xx.jpg

The normal sleeper sofa is in suites (I believe full or queen size).
upload_2018-6-1_9-29-12.jpeg

Website does say King rooms have a sleeper sofa in "select rooms", though. So there might be a few that come that way. But, not sure what their definition of "sleeper sofa" is.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-1_9-27-35.jpeg
    upload_2018-6-1_9-27-35.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Yes. We have booked two-bedroom suites numerous times since October 2016. A two-bedroom suite is comprised of two regular resort rooms adjoining a parlor room.

One of the regular resort rooms has two queen beds, and the other has a king bed and sleeper sofa.

Traditional is their way of saying standard view BTW. The rooms are furnished the same way no matter which view.

ETA: The sleeper sofa in the parlor room of the suite becomes a queen size bed. I’m not sure if it’s a full size bed in the king room, but I looked at the sofa in my nephew’s king room—which looks the same as the photo above—and it was a pull-out bed.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter