Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Hello! I hope someone has some insight on this: we have had the Starwood Am Ex for over 10 years. Every possible purchase was made on that card to allow us to accumulate points for stays at the Swan/Dolphin. We have stayed at these hotels 11 times on points. Now we have to consider another credit card. Should we get a Marriott credit card to accumulate points for Swan/Dolphin stays in the future? We know the points per room have gone way up. What would you Swan/Dolphin folks do? Thanks!
There is also a Credit Card thread on the Dis under the Budget Board full of friendly helpful people who are more than willing to look at your specific travel goals/habits and give advice. :wave2:

I regularly get 1 o'clock late checkouts, lifetime gold But as shoreward said, not guaranteed I did get a few 4 o'clocks, but that was many years ago
We really only need until 1:00 so hoping we can get that. Would be nice to go to Epcot in the morning and come back and pack up.

Hello! I hope someone has some insight on this: we have had the Starwood Am Ex for over 10 years. Every possible purchase was made on that card to allow us to accumulate points for stays at the Swan/Dolphin. We have stayed at these hotels 11 times on points. Now we have to consider another credit card. Should we get a Marriott credit card to accumulate points for Swan/Dolphin stays in the future? We know the points per room have gone way up. What would you Swan/Dolphin folks do? Thanks!
I’m mulling this over as well. I actually have a Marriott credit card and never use it because there wasn’t any incentive after the sign on bonus. The spg amex was always better for points accumulation and redemption. Now I’m not so sure.

I actually think I’m going to use the Chase Sapphire or possibly a completely different hotel chain card.

I no longer see a Marriott/SPG branded credit card that makes sense. The SPG card was awesome, but with the 33% reduction in value (coupled with the SD increase), I put the spending previously devoted to my SPG card onto an airline card. I now use my costco card for gas, restaurants, and some travel. Airline card for everything else.

We're looking forward to our first stay at the Dolphin. Could one of you experts tell me what a 'resort view' would be like? I've inquired about upgrading to a nicer view, and was told it would cost $50 for a resort view and $90 for a fireworks view. Not sure if a 'resort view' would be worth the extra money? Thanks for any insights!

ETA: Anyone know how many rooms have a balcony? Is getting a balcony relatively easy with these upgraded rooms, or are they quite rare? Not very familiar with the Dolphin layout. TIA!

We're looking forward to our first stay at the Dolphin. Could one of you experts tell me what a 'resort view' would be like? I've inquired about upgrading to a nicer view, and was told it would cost $50 for a resort view and $90 for a fireworks view. Not sure if a 'resort view' would be worth the extra money? Thanks for any insights!

ETA: Anyone know how many rooms have a balcony? Is getting a balcony relatively easy with these upgraded rooms, or are they quite rare? Not very familiar with the Dolphin layout. TIA!

A resort view is usually just a view of the Swan and Dolphin grounds or looking toward the Boardwalk. I think whether the upgrade is "worth it" is totally dependent on your travel style - we don't sit in the room and look out the window much, even when we've had a nice view, so it would not be worth anything extra to me, but you might use your room totally differently! If view is important, pay for the upgrade. Check back a few pages to see @amalone1013's "amazing" rooftop view :crazy2:

In my experience, I would think it's unlikely that you will get a balcony room unless you've reserved one. If you google the Dolphin you can see that about half the rooms on the "arms" of the resort have balconies, but the rooms located on the "triangle" and the flat part against the resort don't have any balconies - the upgrade to a resort view is not likely to guarantee you a balcony because there just aren't that many and a balcony room is in its own category. Of course, there are plenty of reports in this thread of folks getting upgraded to a balcony room, so it probably depends on when you're traveling and who checks you in.

A resort view is usually just a view of the Swan and Dolphin grounds or looking toward the Boardwalk. I think whether the upgrade is "worth it" is totally dependent on your travel style - we don't sit in the room and look out the window much, even when we've had a nice view, so it would not be worth anything extra to me, but you might use your room totally differently! If view is important, pay for the upgrade. Check back a few pages to see @amalone1013's "amazing" rooftop view :crazy2:

In my experience, I would think it's unlikely that you will get a balcony room unless you've reserved one. If you google the Dolphin you can see that about half the rooms on the "arms" of the resort have balconies, but the rooms located on the "triangle" and the flat part against the resort don't have any balconies - the upgrade to a resort view is not likely to guarantee you a balcony because there just aren't that many and a balcony room is in its own category. Of course, there are plenty of reports in this thread of folks getting upgraded to a balcony room, so it probably depends on when you're traveling and who checks you in.
Thanks so much for the information!! I am tempted to pay for a fireworks view room, but would only do so if we got the balcony. It's a lot of extra money that I hadn't intended to spend... I would absolutely love to watch the fireworks from the balcony, while sipping a glass of wine....*bliss*.. Decisions, decisions!!

My last stay I was offered an upgrade, don't remember the cost, from the standard view to a room with a balcony, I want to say it was around 30 dollars, so I also agree that it would be doubtful that upgrading a view would give you a balcony you would need to upgrade to a balcony room.

Reactions: CJK
My last stay I was offered an upgrade, don't remember the cost, from the standard view to a room with a balcony, I want to say it was around 30 dollars, so I also agree that it would be doubtful that upgrading a view would give you a balcony you would need to upgrade to a balcony room.
Thank you! Is a fireworks view room not necessarily a room with balcony then? I've been quoted $90 upgrade for a fireworks view room. No mention of a balcony. Would a fireworks view room WITH balcony cost even more??? I just can't justify spending any more money. :(

When you book a fireworks view room, are they talking about the Epcot fireworks? From my understanding, the DHS fireworks have been reduced in the Star Wars show, so I was hoping to see Epcot fireworks. Thanks for the clarification!

We booked a December visit at the Dolphin a few months ago. We were told there is only a "fireworks" room type now - which could be either EPCOT Or Studio fireworks.

Thanks to everyone on the info about the Starwood Am Ex! Much appreciated!

When are you going? We waited until
We got there to upgrade (at Swan) it was only 20 a night and we had views of TOT and watched the Fantasmic show Star Wars FW every night we were home at that time. It was last week so they said they were not as busy...not sure if that makes. Difference

We got there to upgrade (at Swan) it was only 20 a night and we had views of TOT and watched the Fantasmic show Star Wars FW every night we were home at that time. It was last week so they said they were not as busy...not sure if that makes. Difference
Thanks for the information! Sounds like you had an amazing trip!! We're going in September, so it's not a particularly busy time either. I'm leary to spend an additional $90 per night for a fireworks view, with no guarantee of a balcony. Maybe we should take our chances and see what's available at check-in? I won't be as disappointed to potentially not get a fireworks view with balcony, if I didn't fork out an extra $90 per night. I truly am willing to pay more, but I just don't want to do it without a guarantee of what I'm getting. Thanks for the insights!

Were you offered the upgrade or did you ask for it?

Just booked our first Dolphin trip!

We have taken 2 trips in the past 18 months, our first was Spring Break 2017 at the Contemporary Club level.

Then Halloween 2017 at Beach Club for 4 days.

Now we are coming down for Thanksgiving. Arriving on the 16th and then leaving on the 21st.

We booked the premium studio which will be very spacious for 5 of us(Mom,Dad, 7,6 and 4) considering we usually just have one room in a deluxe.

I will be digging around this thread for any good tips for us and the young kids.

Were you offered the upgrade or did you ask for it?
I had booked a standard room and just said does the room have any sort of view. (Knowing it probably didn’t) she sort of laughed and said no but I have an upgrade for $20 a Night. They also let us check in at 10:30am...again they said it was a very quiet time of year. I think I attached a pic of our view!04EF0C3D-1163-49E0-A828-73EA3235B270.jpeg

We have stayed at the Swan every year for the past six years. A couple of weeks ago, I tried to book a room for our trip next summer (the week of July 15), and discovered that the entire Swan and Dolphin are completely sold out for that week -- every single room at both resorts, from the values to the fanciest suites. They sold out a full year in advance --- immediately after becoming bookable online! I contacted the hotel to see if they could spare a single room for a regular customer, but they didn't show any inclination or ability to accommodate us. Nor could they tell me whether or not there is a massive conference booking that has claimed all or most of the rooms. (Must be, right?) This is extremely frustrating for us. We have never stayed anywhere else at Disney. The Swan has become a huge part of the draw of a Disney vacation for us---our home away from home. And we cannot travel any other week next summer. Does anyone know whether this kind of blanket booking a year in advance is common? What do you think the chances are that a room will become available as a result of a cancellation? Thanks for any help you can provide.

We have stayed at the Swan every year for the past six years. A couple of weeks ago, I tried to book a room for our trip next summer (the week of July 15), and discovered that the entire Swan and Dolphin are completely sold out for that week -- every single room at both resorts, from the values to the fanciest suites. They sold out a full year in advance --- immediately after becoming bookable online! I contacted the hotel to see if they could spare a single room for a regular customer, but they didn't show any inclination or ability to accommodate us. Nor could they tell me whether or not there is a massive conference booking that has claimed all or most of the rooms. (Must be, right?) This is extremely frustrating for us. We have never stayed anywhere else at Disney. The Swan has become a huge part of the draw of a Disney vacation for us---our home away from home. And we cannot travel any other week next summer. Does anyone know whether this kind of blanket booking a year in advance is common? What do you think the chances are that a room will become available as a result of a cancellation? Thanks for any help you can provide.
I think that you may have just tried to book too early. I had an earlier post in this thread about how far in advance you can book, and you may have tried to book beyond that acceptable range. Try again - it looks like there are all kinds of rooms available for the week of July 15, 2019.

I think that you may have just tried to book too early. I had an earlier post in this thread about how far in advance you can book, and you may have tried to book beyond that acceptable range. Try again - it looks like there are all kinds of rooms available for the week of July 15, 2019.

Thanks for your help! At first, I figured that was the problem. But the website was giving me lots of availability for the following week when I checked that. So I called the hotel, and they confirmed that they are already fully booked for three nights during the week of July 15 (specifically, July 17, July 18, and July 19). Are you seeing availability for those nights?

Thanks for your help! At first, I figured that was the problem. But the website was giving me lots of availability for the following week when I checked that. So I called the hotel, and they confirmed that they are already fully booked for three nights during the week of July 15 (specifically, July 17, July 18, and July 19). Are you seeing availability for those nights?
I would probably guess that a conference/convention maybe be the reason for no availability. When my husband's company books a Disney incentive trip they normally stay at SD. They typically book a large percentage of the rooms. Some of the beach resorts they book aren't large enough and they have to split the group in half and go in two groups. There is most likely a large company or conference taking up the entire resort

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter