Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

I wonder if this experience is exclusive to the Dolphin or is the Swan getting the same feel. I am suppose to check in on Friday at the Swan and now this is getting me nervous. I haven't stayed at a non Disney Resort in the last 8 trips. I was hoping that being walking distance of two parks would trump everything but this makes me worry.
I was preparing to book a girls trip for December in the morning...all of this is making me doubt our choice!

I am sorry I did not mean to scare you all. I can say we are true Disney people. We come down from Pittsburgh 3 to 4 times a year. It’s not that we feel we are “out” of the bubble per say. It’s different all over now here at WDW. Not bad just different. I should say this is out first post covid trip so I didn’t know what to expect. The main thing is this busing situation is a nightmare. And I do feel the result could be a lot cleaner. Trash cans just overflowing at the pools yesterday. Empty hand sanitizers etc.

I've just been down the rabbit hole reading a number of really bad recent reviews left on google, hotelsdotcom, traveladvisor etc for the past 2 months and they are making me super anxious about our choice to stay here for our honeymoon in Dec :(
Now we don't know what to do...

I've just been down the rabbit hole reading a number of really bad recent reviews left on google, hotelsdotcom, traveladvisor etc for the past 2 months and they are making me super anxious about our choice to stay here for our honeymoon in Dec :(
You'll be just fine, SSL.

Stay away from those rabbit holes, they will confuse you.

I wonder if this experience is exclusive to the Dolphin or is the Swan getting the same feel. I am suppose to check in on Friday at the Swan and now this is getting me nervous. I haven't stayed at a non Disney Resort in the last 8 trips. I was hoping that being walking distance of two parks would trump everything but this makes me worry.
We were at the Swan last week and while the cast members were friendly, I had the same complaints as the PP at the Dolphin. My husband told me he doesn't want to stay at the Swan/Dolphin again unless the savings are significant. We'd rather stay at an official Disney resort.

I wish the reports were different, but the bus situation is going to make the S/D a much less great place to stay IMHO. The garbage, hand sanitizer and room issues are 100% on management - either they are stretched to thin (by choice) or they haven't brought back enough staff, but they need to get a handle on those eye sore issue. I get if they are not doing room service as often, but it's pretty easy to bring stuff if requested or stock the rooms for 3-4 days. The bus situation could be beyond their control, we have no idea of this was Disney pulling the plug or raising the rates or S/D just trying to save a buck.

Hopefully the management gets on it fast. For those staying please take the time to let them know about your experiences, for those that cancel also let them know why you're cancelling.

I wonder if a change in management this year has been contributing to issues at the Swan/Dolphin complex. Perhaps the current medical and economic considerations are not the only contributing factors in lower guest satisfaction.

The former GM of the two properties took a new position as the Managing Director at the Hilton and Waldorf Astoria Bonnet Creek in February 2020, after almost seven years at the Swan and Dolphin.

Swan is much better. Just got back from a 5 night stay at the Swan and everything was great. I’ve stayed at both hotels dozens of times, but stopped staying at the Dolphin because the housekeeping and front desk services were always poor. Would have to call the front desk multiple times to respond to any basic requests like towels. At the Swan they respond on the first call. I recommend staying there.

Also, for those of you worried about food options, don’t forget you can always order from Uber Eats or DoorDash. Alot of delivery options. Just have the driver meet you at the valet area.

How many did the Swan & Dolphin recently lay off? I don't have the best memory, but seems like over 1000? I'll bet that could cause the recent trash etc. issues.
It could, though they should be moving staff and adjusting them to take care of these types of things. Without the convention business they should be able to cut back and still take care of the grounds and rooms, but lets be honest the budget is driving a lot of these issues. Hopefully they get ahead of these issues fast, it was good to see the comments from @Tross86 though, maybe that's a good sign. Though doesn't resolve the bus issue.

I would strongly suggest you consider only the Swan for you reservation and keep watching this thread for the latest updates on the Friendships, buses, and general resort operations.

It is 1/2 the size of the Dolphin complex. It is starting appear that the Dolphin is functioning as an according: expanding / contracting based on daily / weekend / weekly guest reservations.

Dave

I have to admit I am worried about the experience we will have in the beginning of December at the Dolphin given the recent reports I have read in this thread. I am going to keep monitoring what is happening but at the end of the day, I am not sure I really want to change resorts at this point given what is currently available for my dates.

I have to admit I am worried about the experience we will have in the beginning of December at the Dolphin given the recent reports I have read in this thread. I am going to keep monitoring what is happening but at the end of the day, I am not sure I really want to change resorts at this point given what is currently available for my dates.
You can still walk to two parks from there, which is a big advantage. I think that worst-case scenario, you have to make an ADR at the Contemporary before breakfast on your MK days to be dropped off there instead of the TTC.

Things remain the same here today. Per the Manager last night when I called for towels (12 hours after I called the first fine and did not get them). I was told today would be my housekeeping day. Just got back from MK ( left the room at 7 am for an ADR). No housekeeping :(

Hey @Leigh123 sorry things have not improved as your stay continues. Please keep us updated with your first hand experiences.

Do you have a feel for how busy the Dolphin is or appears this week?

Dave

Hey @Leigh123 sorry things have not improved as your stay continues. Please keep us updated with your first hand experiences.

Do you have a feel for how busy the Dolphin is or appears this week?

Dave
Last night while we were waiting on an UBER the young man at the valet said it was “dead”. The had 850 check outs on Sunday.

You can still walk to two parks from there, which is a big advantage. I think that worst-case scenario, you have to make an ADR at the Contemporary before breakfast on your MK days to be dropped off there instead of the TTC.

This! Being able to walk especially to Hollywood Studios is great right now. It seems they open first to people who walked vs bus/car/Skyliner. I'm staying there early November and we got a 7:30AM Wave reservation to be able to walk to MK. You can also use the Boardwalk/Yacht/Beach buses back and then walk back. We'll probably just Uber to Animal Kingdom to ensure we're there before opening.

I would strongly suggest you consider only the Swan for you reservation and keep watching this thread for the latest updates on the Friendships, buses, and general resort operations.

It is 1/2 the size of the Dolphin complex. It is starting appear that the Dolphin is functioning as an according: expanding / contracting based on daily / weekend / weekly guest reservations.

Dave
It absolutely is functioning that way. I walked over to the Dolphin lobby area everyday and it was an complete ghost town Wed and Thurs. Especially on Wed I was the only person eating lunch at the pool bar and grill there. Then Friday night came and the lobby and Phins bar was totally packed. By Sunday it was completely empty again. At the Swan it was encouraging to see housekeepers and/or their carts in the hallways every single day, as proof they seemed properly staffed.

I agree with other posters it sucks they are using Mears shuttles now, but that did not impact us since we had our car.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter