Wanted: Easy Pie for Math 'Pi' Day in School

uromac

DIS Veteran
Hi!

My 16yo dd's Math teacher told the class that they could make a homemade pie for math extra credit for this Friday which I was told is Pi (3.14) day.

Does anyone have a good, easy, AND delicious for teens ;) pie recipe for her to bake. BTW, she is allowed to use a ready made crust if needed - and the recipe should be preferably without nuts if possible, and not so common that the class will have 3 of the same kind of pie !

I do cook - but baking is definitely not my strong point - so I really do appreciate everyone's help in advance :goodvibes !!

Thanks!!

I sent in McDonald's pies. I visited the local restaurant and they sold them to me at a steal. :goodvibes What about in the pudding section? Don't most instant puddings say pie fillings?

(I sent them in last year.)

You can make a lemon meringue pie using lemon pudding (cooked, not instant kind). The recipe will be on the side of the box. You make the pudding on the stove top according to directions and you can pour it into one of those graham cracker crusts. You make meringue with the egg whites that are left over when you use the yolks in the pudding mix. Put the meringue over the pudding in the pie shell and bake in the oven until the meringue is lightly golden. Yummy!

I made a chocolate chip cookie [large one like mrs fields] then put chocolate frosting on, and put white frosting around edges. This way it looked like a chocolate cream pie, I also put the pi symbol in the center. The teachers loved it.

This one is easy & should be different than what other's would bring. Pillsbury ready-made pie crusts are great. Just bake it - empty - until it's golden brown. There should be tips on the box for baking the empty shell & keeping it flat. Then just clean fresh strawberries to put in the pie shell. Don't cut them...whole berries are what it calls for. The only problem I can see is that tiny slices could be problematic... Oh - and it's generally topped with either whipped cream...just blobs (that touch each other) around the outer edge and one in the center. The number of berries needed varies depending on how large they are, but you want the shell to be good & full.

Fresh Strawberry Pie

1 c sugar
3 Tbl corn starch
2 Tbl white Karo
1 c water
instant strawberry gelatin

Cook until thick & clear. Remove & add 2 or 3 Tablespoons powdered strawberry gelatin. Let cool. Put berries in pre-baked pie shell & pour over.

I make something I call "fake" apple pie. It is really easy! I DO NOT measure anything. I eyeball the amounts by how much or many I need to make. :scratchin I peel, cut & slice some apples, however many I have or feel like doing. Then add the brown sugar, add more if it doesn't look like enough. Add a little cinnamon, more if needed. Start with a smaller amount and add more if needed. Make some cinnamon sugar. You can make as much or as little as you feel like making, just add more apples or more sugar cookie dough. It is delicious!

Ingredients:
1 roll of refrigerated sugar cookie dough
Apples
brown sugar
cinnamon
white sugar

Peel, core & slice apples. Put in bowl. Put a scoop of brown sugar in bowl. Add some cinnamon. Mix together. :stir: Pour in pie plate, lined muffin cups, or other pan. Cut sugar cookie dough into slices. Top apples with cookie dough. Mix cinnamon and white sugar (make cinnamon sugar). Sprinkle cookie dough with cinnamon sugar. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until done.

Enjoy. My kids (both VERY PICKY) LOVE this.:yay: It was the only thing my daughter would want to take to school when Johnny Appleseed was celebrated in elementary school.

You can also add a can of whole berry cranberry sauce to the apples.

I also make this recipe
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/fabulous-fruit-bars/6941a87f-5bf2-4a15-abc0-5f3f06eaacc0

Fabulous Fruit Bars

Base
2 pouches (1 lb 1.5 oz each) Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs

Filling
1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling

Topping
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, stir base ingredients until soft dough forms. Press half of dough in bottom of pan. Spread pie filling over dough. Drop remaining dough by teaspoonfuls over filling. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes.

In small bowl, stir glaze ingredients until smooth. If necessary, add additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle glaze over warm bars. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store covered at room temperature.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter