• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Watch out for HERTZ!

WDW2002

DIS Veteran
We are renting a car one way to the airport, because there is not other way to get there. I went into check my reservation today and just for fun decided to check to see if I could change the type of car. Well I noticed it had the box I was told to "ask" for a certain code. Well I never asked for a code, so I took it out and marked lowest rate available. Well I just saved me $37.81.

I wondered why the rate was so much more going then coming back home, especially since we are renting a higher class coming home.

What could have happened is that the Code that Hertz gave you for your original reservation was in the box and a new cheaper code has come out. I know that once you make the reservation Hertz does assign the code they gave you and you have to change it if you hear of a new cheaper code.

Also, if you link in thru something you can get the code from the link. For example I went from the Delta site and was assigned some Delta promo code which was pretty bad!

I am a 5 star Gold member with Hertz. You should always check with and without the code to see what happens to your rate. If you belong to AAA that will usually get you the best rate. But if you have a code for free gas your rate will go up. You can keep changing codes until the day before.

It may be that a better rate came out but I doubt that that would change it $38 for a one day rental.

I didn't ask for any code just best rate with AAA discount. The best rate came back as $97 for a one way rental. :eek: :eek: Yesterday it came back as $58.

I know now, not to accept the rate as "the best" and to try and try again.

Maybe it has something to do with airport taxes, or facility charges--you know that kind of thing? May be more or less expensive depending on where/when the rental is?

I don't know if this applies all over the United States. I had to rent a car one way from Orlando to Chicago. I took ground transportation to the airport and Hertz shuttle to their location. What I found out was if you fly into Orlando you get hit with an extra 8+percent tax.

Had I not known about this, I would have paid that tax. I had to tell them to remove it.

It wasn't a tax or something like that. It was plain and simply a very high rate.

The moral of the story, check and recheck your rates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter