• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Water Shoes?

bengunn

Pirate Member
Various people have mentioned 'water shoes' and the Unofficial Guide to WDW recommends them for the water parks.

So todays questions are:

1) Are they a good idea?

2) Where do you get them from?

3) If you wear them at water parks, do you have to take them off to come down the slides? If so doesn't that rather defeat the object as I understand from the Unoffical Guide and trip reports that you have to walk a long way to get to the top of the slides?

Sorry for these questions but last time we went BB was not built and TL was full both times we tried to get in :( so we have only ever been to River Country - which was nice but on a much smaller scale I think.

Here's a link to a company that sell water shoes/ aqua shoes/ water socks call them what you will.

http://cgi.wakesport.force9.co.uk/acatalog/wakesport_com_Aqua_Shoes_12.html

They might be a good idea as the pathways can get extremely hot at the waterparks in the summer sun and the concrete/tarmac can be abrasive on your feet. I recall seeing people wearing them on some of the rides.

We didn't use them at TL or BB but have brought some for our summer beach hols in Greece.

Mick

Thanks Mick, we probably will wait to buy them until we get to Orlando but it is nice to know what to look for.

The cement sidewalks around the waterparks and in the pools can shred the soles of your feet after a few hours there. It is a good idea to wear water shoes the entire time you are in the parks, including on the rides and in the pools. They are not allowed on some rides, but you can hold them in your hands and put them on when you get off the slide.

Whenever people in the waterparks who are going barefoot see our water shoes, we get comments about how smart we were to wear them. You can bet those people buy some for their next day in the waterparks!

If you wait to buy water shoes, you can purchase them at most discount department stores, such as K-Mart, Walmart, etc, as well as at larger grocery stores. They usually cost around $5 for the inexpensive ones.

The water parks also sell them for about $10 a pair. They are nice and have a Disney logo on them. They usually have a large number in all sizes to fit your entire family. You can wear these shoes at the beach so you don't get cut on shells or rocks. They come in handy for things like washing the car, too!

My husband and I bought them last time we were at a disney water park (2 years ago): they protect your feet from stepping on things (like pebbles, twigs - okay, so I don't always look where I put my feet ;-)) and stop you doing the "hot sidewalk" dance in between rides.

I always thought that they would feel restrictive on my feet, but they are really comfortable.

As previous posters have said, you can buy them more cheaply outside of the parks (sounds like a good idea).

Boo

Just endorsin everything already said.

The shoes were selling for $4.95 at Walmart and for $15.95 in the waterparks on our last visit.

We use ours as beach shoes back in UK.

Thanks for the tip.......

My wife just bought some for DS here in the UK. £15.00 - Nike ones were £35.

I've told her not to buy anymore - we'll get them in Florida.

Tony

Thanks for all the advice, we will definitely visit the nearest Walmart (about 2 miles from our villa) and buy some before we visit the waterparks.

Just to add that if you are visiting Discovery Cove, water shoes seem a must, as there have been reports on the DC Board of people cutting their feet on the rocks in the pools and lazy river. Something like that could ruin the rest of your trip, so I guess we will be buying water shoes in January! :D

Thanks for that Mazzy - we are visiting Discovery Cove so that makes it even more definite that we will get some water shoes.

The thought of having to walk round the parks with cut feet does not bear thinking about :(

I can see we will be doing a major trip to Walmart very early on - water shoes, water bottles, mister fans, anything I have forgotten?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter