WDW Accessible Room Location Thread - UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe someone else knows for sure, but my understanding was that "Accessible" was short for "Fully Accessible" (the ones with the roll in showers) because they don't have room to have that all on the confirmation.
I think if it says "Handicapped" that is the rooms with the tub and grab bars.
Anyone know for sure?

Ali, When I made my ressie through MS I was put on hold while they contacted Special Request Department and it was confirmed wheel in shower. I was asked what I would need tub with grab rails or roll in shower. I explained DS inability to get out of the tub. I have also called just to confirm my requests(LOL). Susan

Poohs Pal said:
Ali, When I made my ressie through MS I was put on hold while they contacted Special Request Department and it was confirmed wheel in shower. I was asked what I would need tub with grab rails or roll in shower. I explained DS inability to get out of the tub. I have also called just to confirm my requests(LOL). Susan

I never gave them the chance to ask me tub or shower :rotfl: I got in there quick and told them we needed roll-in shower ;) so hopefully this will do the trick. I am waiting on our VB confirmation coming through so once I see what is on that I will phone MS and get them to confirm the two reservations. Susan have you been to VB or SSR? I was wondering if any of the accessable rooms were on some upper floors.
thanks
Ali

Ali, I was at SSR last October. My DS that needs the H/A room was not with me. I do believe though that they have upper floor H/A rooms. I'm calling SSR today I'll ask for you. Susan

Ali, Well I received some differemnt answers today :rotfl2: . I was transfered to a person whose supposed to KNOW and according to her 1 and 2br roll in shower rooms are only on the first floor. I had been told that every section(every 4th building) would have a roll in GV and today was told only the Congress park area has a GV with a roll in shower. Not sure about the unfinished area. She also conformed that the showers are completly open with a shower curtain. This person was seriously bothered by having to answer my qyestion :confused3 :confused3 . Hope this helps. Susan

How about rooms at The Beach Club?We have 5 people and need the 2 Queens and 1 day bed. I was told there were no HA rooms with this sleeping configuration. Is that the case?

We booked through AAA and they said we could request those beds and the HA but when I talked to the desk at BC club they said no.

So who is right? :confused3

Poohs Pal said:
Ali, Well I received some differemnt answers today :rotfl2: . I was transfered to a person whose supposed to KNOW and according to her 1 and 2br roll in shower rooms are only on the first floor. I had been told that every section(every 4th building) would have a roll in GV and today was told only the Congress park area has a GV with a roll in shower. Not sure about the unfinished area. She also conformed that the showers are completly open with a shower curtain. This person was seriously bothered by having to answer my qyestion :confused3 :confused3 . Hope this helps. Susan

thanks Susan for asking for me. As we have reserved a 2 br looks like it will be on the first floor. It would have been nice for DS to have an upper floor purely because he is im-mobile and he was worried being on the ground (1st floor) all he would see out of the window would have been shrubery. but from a safety point of view I can understand why all the accessable rooms would need to be on the 1st floor.
what also confused me was here in the UK 1st floor means one up whereas 1st floor in the USA seems to mean on the ground level , Am I right ?

thanks again :wave2:

Ali, Your are correct, first floor in the US means ground level. Susan

Poohs Pal said:
This person was seriously bothered by having to answer my qyestion :confused3 :confused3 . Hope this helps. Susan

I was a bit disappointed to Susan when I phoned MS. I was expecting this bright and cheery person to be ever so helpful and as it was my very first reservation left me a bit deflated :( and unsure what infact I had booked :confused3 I will need to learn to be more assertive :teeth:

Ali, It wasn't member service's that I spoke to today. I called Saratoga Springs and was transfered to someone at Saratoga Springs whom I was told would have the answer's I needed. She did have the answers but seemed really put out to be talking to me. I could also hear someone in the back ground trying to cut into the conversation as this person was speaking to me and that really seemed to annoy her. Everyone else has been just fine to talk to all though maybe a little uninformed. I'm pretty sure she wasn't happy with me when I asked her if she was absolutly sure that of all the building's open at SSR there was only 1 GV open with a roll in shower and I could just feel her rolling her eye's at me :earseek: . I was really hoping for The Springs, it would be so easy to just wheel DS over to the pool and AP. Of course anywhere at SSR will be great. Susan

Twende said:
How about rooms at The Beach Club?We have 5 people and need the 2 Queens and 1 day bed. I was told there were no HA rooms with this sleeping configuration. Is that the case?

We booked through AAA and they said we could request those beds and the HA but when I talked to the desk at BC club they said no.

So who is right? :confused3
My DH and I stayed at Yacht Club in a room with 2 queens and a day bed. We did not have DD with her wheelchair along and did not stay in an accessible room. I believe the accessible rooms have the same amount of space, though. IMHO, a room with 2 queens and a day bed would be extremely tight for a wheelchair.
AllEarsnet.com has some pictures of the rooms at Yacht Club. According to what is written at allearsnet, the "standard" room has a daybed. In another spot on that site, it says all rooms have a daybed. If that's true, then if you need space for 5 people, but the accessible rooms only have room for 2- 4, they will work somethings else out (if you didn't need an accessible room, you would be able to fit 5 into the room.)

Poohs Pal said:
Ali, It wasn't member service's that I spoke to today. I called Saratoga Springs and was transfered to someone at Saratoga Springs whom I was told would have the answer's I needed. She did have the answers but seemed really put out to be talking to me. I could also hear someone in the back ground trying to cut into the conversation as this person was speaking to me and that really seemed to annoy her. Everyone else has been just fine to talk to all though maybe a little uninformed. I'm pretty sure she wasn't happy with me when I asked her if she was absolutly sure that of all the building's open at SSR there was only 1 GV open with a roll in shower and I could just feel her rolling her eye's at me :earseek: . I was really hoping for The Springs, it would be so easy to just wheel DS over to the pool and AP. Of course anywhere at SSR will be great. Susan

I agree Susan anywhere at SSR would / will be great . we just can't wait :grouphug:

SueM in MN said:
....AllEarsnet.com has some pictures of the rooms at Yacht Club. According to what is written at allearsnet, the "standard" room has a daybed. In another spot on that site, it says all rooms have a daybed. If that's true, then if you need space for 5 people, but the accessible rooms only have room for 2- 4, they will work somethings else out (if you didn't need an accessible room, you would be able to fit 5 into the room.)

Oh my I never thought of it that way. But I suspect, no, I know you are correct. Most of this is new to me because I am having to deal with my mother with problems not a child where it has been an everyday fight for their rights.
Now it is just a matter of me being brave, assertive enough to ask for what we need. LOL! Give me strength.

I called today to check to see if the information I was given was correct and I was told that Beach Club has rooms that sleep five with the roll in showers and grab bars. Last time I called they told me that there was no such room.

So as of today we have a special room reserved. It will be interesting to see what we get.

I was all ready to request a second adjoining room and now if this person is correct, we will not need it.

I'll be interested to hear what you get.
Just one point - if you end up needing 2 rooms and you want 2 that have a door inside to connect together, you want to ask for Connecting Rooms. Adjoining rooms might also connect or they might just be next to each other.

Good point I never thought about that! We need connecting rooms in order to handle all my mom's needs! :sunny:

Hello all.....great thread :wave2:

I have booked a "Tower Room Magic Kingdom View" for Oct 2006. When I got my e-mail confirmation it did not note special requests so I e-mailed them back.

My e-mail back said that if I were to request a handicapped room that it might not be available and to call WDW Travel Co. :confused3

Does anyone know if there are any handicapped room in the tower? (By the way, I only need the bathroom to have the bars on the bathtub, not the roll in shower.)

I tried booking on-line through the special needs department and the reservation they made for me was not even what I wanted or asked for :sad2: so I decided to just try the regular on-line booking and request a handicapped room.

Thanks

The regular CRO can NOT make a reservation for a handicapped room. All requests have to go through special reservations.Y ou can't book a handicapped room online, you have to call special reservations. If you check the disabled box online you leave your contact info and special ressies will call you back.

Here is a link to a thread on the Resort Board that has some good pictures showing roll in shower and grab bars in a tub room.

And, as pugdog posted, for resort reservations thru CRO, if you have Special Needs you have to talk to the Special Needs department.
It's different for reservations made for DVC using points; Member Services takes care of all reservations.

CHANGE SINCE 2005 when this was posted:
DVC also now uses the Special Needs Dpeartment. When you make your reservation, the MS CM opens a line to talk to the Special Needs Department to reserve the kind of accessible room you need.

Could anyone point me in the right direction. My mother has a prosthetic leg and they are interested in staying at the Fort Wilderness campground in there RV, she is concerned with the amoung of walking to get to bus stops and the food area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or you could PM me. Thank You!! :teeth:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter