WDW bus transportation is horrible

Cynt

DIS Veteran
We haven't stayed on property in a while. But my previous experience with the bus experience was pleasant. This time it was awful. We're fairly patient people so we knew going in we would have to wait and pack our patience.

The thing that killed it for us is that Disney is not efficient. Why in the world do they not have a GPS system on each bus tracking where the busses are for each resort available for the resort guests? This would alleviate the frustration on waiting on busses. I know they have GPS on the busses you can see the screens the drivers use to navigate the routes. Why this isn't available to the resort guests is beyond me. Smh.

We stayed at OKW. They have 5 bus stops. They have a tv screen with each park listed. When a bus was on property the word bus would light up for that park. But you didn't know if the bus just arrived or if the bus had already passed your bus stop. Frustrating.

A simple app tracking the busses would save so much time and frustration. I would know AK 123 bus just left AK ETA 12 minutes to the first okw bus stop. I could then prepare accordingly. Its just hard to believe they don't have something like this already in place. Disney loves tracking our every move but they won't help guest with this easy fix for the bus system.

So we'll definitely rent a car next time. One less headache.

Have you ever stayed at one of the resorts with the skyliner? It’s a very convenient mode of transportation with no wait! Of course there also the monorail resorts as well that are also very convenient, but I understand they are not in everyone’s budget. It’s a real shame they got rid of the Minnie Vans. Those were great.

We usually drive to the parks, live in Georgia but have second home in Florida as well, but on the days we want to partake in Adult Beverages we use WDW Transportation and the busses can be a nightmare even before this pandemic and limited capacity situation. So we look at the estimated time and decide if it's easier to just get an Uber or Lyft. Often times it is, especially if you are trying to be their first thing at park open.

A simple app tracking the busses would save so much time and frustration.
And yet, the opposite could also be true. I'm certain Disney has evaluated the options and elected to stick with what they're doing. Imagine your tracking a bus, but Disney decides it needs to go somewhere else before it gets to you. You have an expectation and, due to operational efficiencies, they've re-routed and you're disappointed. Guest satisfaction is going to be higher when they don't set that expectation up front.

No question it is necessary to limit the # of passengers on each bus right now - that is frustrating when you are left at the stop. What is worse is that they are not sending additional busses when people are left. That used to be the norm, plus there used to be plenty of buses sent prior to park opening - now there is only one, MAYBE 2, but honestly if you don't get on that pre-opening bus and want to make rope drop you really need to call a Lyft - that is frustrating too. Sadly @ 25% capacity I just don't believe there is budget to do anything more than they are doing right now. We love all the on-property transportation and especially love not having a car, but I think we may just have to rent one next time.

It is Horrible. We got back about 2 weeks ago from a 9 day trip staying in BLT. On our Hollywood Studios day - we arrived at the bus stop over an hour before DHS park opening and we still didn't make it to the park before 10 - so of course we didn't get a boarding pass to ROTR. :( The "Bus Manager" or whoever it is working out there said they kept calling more but they weren't coming for some reason. It was very frustrating. You expect that surely any minute the next one is coming - otherwise we would have just called a lyft (that plus we'd need a carseat one - so we hesitate to pay for that)… SMH

I did a split stay last month at Riviera and Contemporary and was expecting the worst from what I had read. I was pleasantly surprised that everything went well. Somedays there was only 1 other group on the bus. I did arrive about 30 mins after park open at HS and Epcot (intentionally) so I'm not sure if that affected it. But I had no trouble getting to MK and AK for opening on multiple days.

Have you ever stayed at one of the resorts with the skyliner? It’s a very convenient mode of transportation with no wait! Of course there also the monorail resorts as well that are also very convenient, but I understand they are not in everyone’s budget. It’s a real shame they got rid of the Minnie Vans. Those were great.

Not yet. Loved our trip on the skyliner from dhs to Riviera for lunch. We were hooked. We even hopped on it at the end of our day to go back and get drinks. RIV has the free style coke machine with minute maid fruit punch.

When we took the monorail from mk to contemporary for chef mickeys DH mentioned we might need to start staying at monorail resorts. I was thinking YES!😁

I don't know if we're aging out the bus rides or what but this will probably be the last time we rely solely on wdw bus services. My DH has the patience of Job and is flat out cheap but he was done with the busses by day 3. He just stopped going to the Miller st bus stop and always headed to the 1st bus stop peninsular road. And we always got off at the 1st bus stop. So if this frustrated Job it was bad.

And yet, the opposite could also be true. I'm certain Disney has evaluated the options and elected to stick with what they're doing. Imagine your tracking a bus, but Disney decides it needs to go somewhere else before it gets to you. You have an expectation and, due to operational efficiencies, they've re-routed and you're disappointed. Guest satisfaction is going to be higher when they don't set that expectation up front.

I understand the rerouting but that's the exception. If they had 3 busses for every park, 1 bus at resort, 1 bus in transit to park and 1 bus at park. These three busses would rotate constantly. When things are slow of course reroute one bus to a busier route. Even then I could see bus 456 was rerouted so now bus 789 is at park and will be at okw in 20 minutes. I'm ok with that. Just don't leave me high and dry and without a bus. Or tell me MK and EP busses come on the hour and half hour. AK and HS busses come on :15 and :45.

Our bus experience staying at SSR from 9/29 to 10/8/20 was actually pretty good. We never waited more 15 to 20 minutes for any of the buses to the parks or DS. We did take an Uber twice to make sure we did make our dinner reservations because we wanted to take our time getting ready to go out for the evening. The one exception that did happen, was not that bad, since it was just the two of us. One night, we left Epcot and the bus manager at the bus area pointed us to a bus that was supposed to go back to SSR. Next thing we know we were heading to Animal Kingdom Lodge. Our bus driver said that this is your stop. We said, the bus manager said this bus was going to SSR. (Our fault really for not asking the actual bus driver again if the bus was going to SSR). The bus driver got on the radio and was told to take us straight to SSR. So we did get back to SSR alittle later than planned, but it wasn't a big deal for us, so we just enjoyed the ride.

So today we're at Contemporary. After having breakfast at Chef Mickeys we go outside to their transportation bus hub and there were 3 bus attendants outside helping guest. They Asked us where were we headed. They said Disney Springs bus is across the street it will be here shortly. This is all I'm asking to help us navigate the bus system. Rather it's a live person, App or digital signs that tell me the ETA, I just want a little more info to assist me.

O and I got mad. 😠 Why did they have 3 transportation attendants and OKW with 5 bus stops doesn't even have one attendant. Not to mention Contemporary has the monorail to get to 2 parks. I was fit to be tied.

I was ok once I got to Disney Springs. TIME TO SHOP and stock up on our Disney Gear. Who can be mad while shopping 🛍!?!? Not me! Any trip to the mall is my happy place!😂🤣😂🤣

No question it is necessary to limit the # of passengers on each bus right now - that is frustrating when you are left at the stop. What is worse is that they are not sending additional busses when people are left. That used to be the norm, plus there used to be plenty of buses sent prior to park opening - now there is only one, MAYBE 2, but honestly if you don't get on that pre-opening bus

^^^^^THIS! My ❤ went out to large families and families with wheelchairs or scooters. If you weren't at the 1st stop at okw for rope drop you were out of luck. RD for DHS had 3 scooters at the 1st bus stop. The line was down the sidewalk almost to the bridge. 10am opening the 1st bus arrived at 9am. We filled the bus at the 1st stop with the first 6 families and one scooter. As we were turning around to go straight to dhs we saw 3 DHS busses. But I don't think that was enough to get all the people at the 1st bus stop. Who knows what happened to the folks at the other 4 bus stops.

Poor planning.

O and I got mad. 😠 Why did they have 3 transportation attendants and OKW with 5 bus stops doesn't even have one attendant. Not to mention Contemporary has the monorail to get to 2 parks. I was fit to be tied.

The Epcot monorail isn't running, so they have buses to 3 parks from the Contemporary now. And the resort only has the one bus stop, so the attendant is there because it will be busier and they need to direct people to the correct places to wait.

I've always thought the buses at OKW were bad (I will never in my life forget waiting 90 minutes for a Disney Springs bus). The layout alone drives me nuts and takes forever.

My biggest problem with the buses has always been how they handle wheelchairs. They really need to get paratransit. They certainly have enough wheelchairs to support it.

This isn't an attack on anyone who uses a wheelchair but it literally doubles the amount of time it takes for a bus to leave. If they had paratransit then it would be faster for everyone. Not only that, I'll be the first to admit that I don't appreciate seeing people who wait in line for 2-3 buses just to have a wheelchair and their 6 companions jump the line.

Just a note to the wise - if you write an e-mail to Disney and relate your experiences with the transportation system they will most likely compensate you (they did me). Page back through the "just returned" thread and you'll find the contact info. Nevermind that though - I sincerely was writing to them to let them know there was a problem in hopes it could get fixed. It's been +2 months and it doesn't look like it has. FWIW - we ended up getting a lyft from BLT to get to DS for a dinner reservation (pre-dinnertime buses to DS are maybe the worst) and of course ended up getting a Lyft BLT to DHS (be in line BY 8:30 to have a hope of getting on a pre-10a bus). On our Epcot day we weren't trying to "rope drop", but we did get left. The driver was really rude about it, and at first we were mad, but then we decided to make an experience out of it. We took the monorail to Magic Kingdom, then took a bus to the Riviera, then took the Skyliner to EPCOT. I'm not going to say that was faster than waiting for the next bus but who knows? It was a lot more fun than standing there fuming about the bus situation. If anything I would do that again, only not wait for the FIRST bus (since there was a decent length line), and maybe would jump off the monorail at TTC to ride the boat to MK.

Not trying to start any sour grapes, but by our observations, Riviera had PLENTY of buses every day we were there. I don't think that's a coincidence...

FYI- during our trip earlier this month we were leaving AK for Pop and there was a pretty long line for a bus and 3 people on scooters which I knew would delay loading. I used the ‘chat’ feature on MDE and told them the situation. Before the first bus pulled out another had arrived. It may have been coincidental but it seemed to help at least a little. :) Perhaps if enough people use the chat to complain about bus service it will encourage them to make some changes.

FYI- during our trip earlier this month we were leaving AK for Pop and there was a pretty long line for a bus and 3 people on scooters which I knew would delay loading. I used the ‘chat’ feature on MDE and told them the situation. Before the first bus pulled out another had arrived. It may have been coincidental but it seemed to help at least a little. :) Perhaps if enough people use the chat to complain about bus service it will encourage them to make some changes.
Aww man. I didn't even think about using chat. I used chat for all my issues prior to arrival. Chat is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter