WDW planning help needed

zeitzeuge

DIS Veteran
*I just know jackskellingtongirl just peed her pants a little*

Ok, I can't believe I'm actually SAYING this, but I need a tad bit of help planning a trip to WDW. A quick getaway, not a huge 7-10 day thing.

Steven's work is going to be in Orlando for a Tile Convention. Yeah, sounds exciting huh? He works in a high end designer tile boutique. It's crazy that people spend $100+ a square foot of tile but I digress.

Anyhoo, his boss said he could fly back the following Monday instead and spend the weekend in Orlando, so that would give us Thursday night April 29th through Monday May3rd, afternoon. Three full days for parks. DTD thursday night and monday morning for additional shopping.

Here's the thing. We're saving for a big trip to DL for October's Gay Day's, so this trip has to be on a very tight budget. Luckily, we only have to pay for one flight, mine since Steven's will be through work. I'll book that closer to the time of going since rates drop. Some day we'll do a full on 7 day trip to WDW, but that's another trip.

1. Since we need to stay offsite to save money, I need ideas for a VERY inexpensive hotel with shuttle service to the parks that is nothing more then a decent place to sleep. We won't be using it for anything other then that.

2. Parkhopper tickets are for all 4 parks. We're not huge Epcot fans (ducks and hides) and most stuff at DHS we have at DCA in California, so we're going to spend most of our time at MK and visit AK for a day. I would assume that single day passes, two for MK and one for AK for both of us would be more costly? Would it just be easier to do parkhoppers for the 3 days even though we're not going to two of the parks? Unless we get a wild hair and want to hop over to DHS or Epcot for an evening.....

3. I hear all this talk about ADR's and Ressie's. We're not fans of spending lots of money and time in a restaurant while at the parks. We grab what's close by, eat quick and move on. Will this be a problem? Are there plenty of places to grab/eat/run?

4. What's the weather like during the end of April and the crowds?

Ok, all the questions I have now.

The best info that I can give you in looking offsite is to check the info over on MouseSavers and The Mouse For Less. We haven't stayed offsite since 2001 and I don't want to send you to a hotel that has potentially fallen into a bad state in the past 9 years.

Can I suggest that for one of your park ticket days that you utilize the new Disney Promo of Give a Day Get a Day? See the details here. Many of the opportunities in our area only cost you 2 to 4 hours of your time and you get a full day upgradable admission ticket for your time. If you know that you only really want to visit the two parks, then there is nothing wrong with that. You picked my two favorite anyway. :thumbsup2 If that doesn't work for you, but buy the two day base ticket. If you don't think that you will want to hop, then don't pay for it. You can always stop by the ticket booths and upgrade to a hopper, if you so desire, and if you do decide that you want to add a third day, they can upgrade the ticket to do that during your stay too.

Food is never a problem, if you plan well. There are some great quick service food offerings at AK and over at MK, you should be ok. You won't come home raving about the food, but it's not going to be gross either. MK favorites include Pecos Bill's and Columbia Harbour House. AK favorites include Pizzafari and Flame Tree BBQ. Hopefully, your inexpensive hotel will have some food offerings that are less expensive than dining on property, or at least be close to something close enough for you to walk to. If you wanted to try to save a bit more dough, then I suggest arranging for a delivery from Garden Grocer. Even with delivery fees, water and/or sodas from them can save you a bunch.

WeatherUnderground shows that the weather is actually pretty warm, but not usually that rainy. I went during this same time frame over the past couple of years and really enjoyed the weather. Pack the sunscreen and keep yourself hydrated.

The crowds, well, you will have to contend with the USASF/IASF Dance and Cheerleading World Championships from 4/23 to 4/25 and there is always a pretty strong showing of Brazilian Tour Groups. The weekends are busiest, but with smart use of a good touring plan and fast pass, you should be fine to enjoy pretty much all of it.

Ok, I would tell you more, but by now, I am thinking that even Jackskellingtonsgirl is going to be looking at me funny. lol

You want me to help you plan then you ask a bunch of stuff I know nothing about?!?! :sad2:

I don't know much about ticketing, other than that you can buy passes for 1-10 days. So you can buy a 3 day pass without hopping privileges if that is what you want. The thing is, the more days you add, the cheaper each consecutive day is. So the difference in price between 3 and 4 days probably isn't much. Just in case you do decide to hit a park Thur. PM or Mon. AM. :rolleyes1 Be advised that you can NOT use 2 days of a non-hopper ticket on the same day to enter different parks.

There are plenty of counter service places to grab burgers, chicken, pizza, etc. if that's what you prefer.

We've never been that time of year, so no clue on crowds or weather.

Why don't you want to know about spending 10 days the first part of August? And booking LOTS of restaurants? That is the kind of planning I am good at! ;)

Ok, one last thing, you are going to be there during the Flower & Garden Festival. Epcot is so pretty that time of year. There are beautiful topiaries everywhere and for a favorite place to be during that time of year, Epcot wins.

Hi, Maggie!

The cheer/dance teams shouldn't be a problem because they are at WWOS or the Studios. They will stay at All Stars.

I would look at staying in a Value resort ON property. There are at least 3 different discount offers right now.

Howdy Elizabeth!

While I know that those cheer and dance kids are busy during the day, it's kind of like Pop Warner kids, in the evenings, they do add to the crowds in the parks.

I fully agree that if at all possible, I would stay in a Disney Value resort. POP is my favorite and is slightly cheaper/night when you add in the sales tax because the All Stars are in a different county with a higher resort tax rate. By staying on property, you could use Disney's Magical Express for your travel between the resort and the airport for free. The busses are free and run all day with little worry of being left to find a cab back to your resort. To me, even if the room is $30 a night more expensive than off site it's worth it in peace of mind.

I made this ridiculously long post about where to stay and bla bla bla.....but I deleted it. Here's all you really need to know:

Before booking a room with a site like Expedia or Travelocity, call the hotels directly. That's how I got a rate of $65/night for the Royal Plaza Hotel back in December of 2007. I think the discount sites were charging almost twice as much. Although it wasn't exactly a "Disneyesque" hotel, it was very comfortable and clean, within walking distance to DTD and had complimentary shuttle service to all the parks. And the cafe had a make-your-own Mickey waffle bar! :yay:

If you stay onsite you can do Extra Magic Hours. Which adds THREE hours to your time in MK if they are still doing PM EMH on Fridays. You can do a lot of stuff at MK with three extra hours.

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm sure I might have some more questions the closer we get. Nothing like making a decision quickly and trying to throw it all together.

Now we DEFINITELY need to have lunch! You'll have to let me know when you guys have some time on the weekends! :goodvibes

I know! My one and only experience with WDW with my Ex and the In Laws was a horrible experience. I didn't even think it was possible to have a bad time at WDW, but we did. Funny how the people you bring with you can do that.

Because of all that, I didn't really learn much or pay attention to anything that trip. It was such a blur.

When you are doing a comparison of off-site and on-site make sure you have bottom line figures to compare. The off-site often add taxes and a resort fee where those are typically built into the Disney hotels.

We recently spent either $58 or $63 (I can't remember which) for a night at the Sports resort. It was less than the other nearby hotels and as someone else mentioned you will have access to Extra Magic Hours - which is always a good thing. :)

OH ok. DL has Magic Mornings which are Tues, Thurs and Saturdays and you get in the parks an hour before anyone else and basically can ride majority of Tomorrowland and Fantasyland within that time.

Cool.

Looks like I have more planning to do.

Darn it to hell.

OH ok. DL has Magic Mornings which are Tues, Thurs and Saturdays and you get in the parks an hour before anyone else and basically can ride majority of Tomorrowland and Fantasyland within that time.

Cool.

Looks like I have more planning to do.

Darn it to hell.

Planning a Disney trip is for masochists and the insane.

Funny how many people here love it... :rotfl:

Planning a Disney trip is for masochists and the insane.

Funny how many people here love it... :rotfl:

In 2009 I made four trips to WDW. My BFF made all the plans. In April I am taking my daughter so I am responsible for the plans. I really like it better when he does it all.

ConcKahuna-
I was going to say hi when I was there in December but you were tied up with what looked like a pretty high maintenance guest. We stopped by to see the decorations at the monorail resorts on our way to tea at the Grand Floridian.

ConcKahuna-
I was going to say hi when I was there in December but you were tied up with what looked like a pretty high maintenance guest. We stopped by to see the decorations at the monorail resorts on our way to tea at the Grand Floridian.

Bah, you should have thrown something at me or gotten my attention!

Mark, I don't think anyone else has mentioned it, but you really don't need to worry about heading to Downtown Disney on Thursday night anymore. Sadly, since they closed all the clubs, it's not any more gay friendly down there than any other time.

One thing you MUST do while you're in town is meet us for drinks! ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter