WDW with very young children

I have to say I am now very excited :cool1: !

Last night I:-

a) Managed to book flights (and get on the same flight back to Raleigh that the family has booked from Australia!);
b) Booked a mini-van for all of us at a fabulous price.

Today I got notification from a member that there was a 2BR villa available at OKW and she just needed me to confirm (which I did the moment I saw the PM!).

All I have to do now is get the booking confirmation, pay for the accommodation and start enjoying the fact that we are actually going really in October!

Just can't wait! Next problem is working out where to go (but what a fun problem to have :goodvibes .

Fingers crossed that DS enjoys the experience and my lovely niece isn't too perturbed by anything.

:jumping1:

I think a 5 month old is a lot eastier to travel with than say, an 18 month old who wants to get out of the stroller every 3 seconds. 5 month old infants are fairly portable. Plus, Disney is a great place to be with a baby. October shouldn't be too hot either. Most babies love movement, like being pushed in a stroller all day! The restaurants even let you bring in a sleeping infant in a stroller. My DD slept through lunch at Sci-Fi, Alfredo's, concourse steakhouse, and a couple others. We had her stoller right with us at the table. I also think it's easy to bring in those car seats that attach to strollers. We saw people with sleeping infants in car seats under people's tables a lot once we had kids and started to notice that kind of stuff!

I think you'll be fine!

rocketriter said:
Totally, totally depends on the individual child. We took our son at 5 and he was overwhelmed, cried and wanted to hide in his room for half the trip. Finally, on the Peter Pan ride, he "got it" and understood that a ride was fun and not terror in the dark. On the other hand, our daughter is fearless and could have enjoyed the parks at any age.

In any case, it's probably best to break every day in half with a return to your room for a swim and/or nap. The time spent in transportation might seem like a waste. But the kids will do much better than when going commando all day, and you'll all have more fun.

The only thing my DS was scared of when he was 5 was the automatic flushing toilets in the parks! Well that, and he wasn't too thrilled with Snow White's scary adventures. Yet, he rode TOT twice in a row, space moutain, and just about everything else without any problems. Go figure. You never know how your children will react to Disney. :)

If you guys get uptight about your kids, then the trip will be hard. If not, you'll have a blast.

Usually, a 5mo will be a lot easier than a 2yo. And you will need to take breaks in the room.

With little kids a 2br will be sooo much nicer than hotel rooms. You can actually ENJOY being in the condo and not feel like you're stuck in a little room waiting for a kid to take a nap. We have 5 kids and have travelled to many places with them at ridiculous ages. And condos are much better.

The hardest part of a 2BR would be deciding who gets the master BR with its awesome jacuzzi tub.

OneMoreTry said:
If you guys get uptight about your kids, then the trip will be hard. If not, you'll have a blast.

Usually, a 5mo will be a lot easier than a 2yo. And you will need to take breaks in the room.

With little kids a 2br will be sooo much nicer than hotel rooms. You can actually ENJOY being in the condo and not feel like you're stuck in a little room waiting for a kid to take a nap. We have 5 kids and have travelled to many places with them at ridiculous ages. And condos are much better.

The hardest part of a 2BR would be deciding who gets the master BR with its awesome jacuzzi tub.

That's what we thought too, which is why we decided that we would try and get a 2BR. I had wanted to stay at the VWL at first because I loved the idea of the theme, but aside from the fact that it seemed virtually impossible to get into, hearing all the wonderful things recently about OKW made me think we could give it a try.

As to the master BR, I think that despite the fact I've been doing the planning etc (and would love the jacuzzi!), I'll let the SIL and her husband have it, as after all, they are flying all the way from Australia. DH and I can use the other room and DS can have the second bed in that room (or the crib).

We took our DD at 4 months, then 15 months, then 20 months, then 26 months...I have to say it became progressively more difficult with each trip, but what you lose in convenience you gain in enjoyment of watching them soak up the fun!

Some things I learned for us, your mileage may vary:

(1) Disney World is loud. When our DD was 4 months we took her on the Universe of Energy...fortunately right before the big bang (the ding dang?) I had the presence of mind to cover her ears...very loud stuff indeed...she slept through the whole 30 minute ride.

(2) the Snuggli is your friend for the little one. I wore my DD for the -entire trip- when she was 4 months. She had good head control so she was facing out and she loved it. She spent 5 days in that thing, start to finish aside from some baby swaps...and we did the parks commando style...if she got tired, she fell asleep, then I would turn her facing in...when she woke up, I turned her facing out again. Most importantly for us, no going back to resorts, no nap time...this rule held even through our last trip - if DD gets tired enough, she falls asleep...then it's time to head to one of the Mountain rides!!

(3) The nursing centers are excellent. Entertainment for the older child, and nice clean, usually private facilities to take care of the younger...and they have what you need for sale if you under-packed something (see #5)

(4) Don't bring an SUV-sized stroller if you're using Disney transportation. We always use Disney transport, and we have a nearly-umbrella sized stroller. It is a piece of cake getting around with a 2 year old and a tiny stroller...on the other hand, we saw some parents getting on the busses with strollers that looked larger (and heavier) than my car, carrying enough luggage for a 3 week safari, and they just didn't look like they were having fun at that point in their lives. Which brings me to...

(5) Bring what you need into the park, and nothing more. For us it is fanny pack (camera), as few diapers as needed, extra pair of pants...if a shirt gets messy we'll buy one in the park, wipes, water, sunscreen...

(6) Kids dry quickly in the Florida sun. One of the highlights of our last two trips were the little water/fountain spots in the parks...just letting our DD get soaked...or trying to convince her to stand over a water jet when you know it's about to turn on.. :rotfl2:

(7) Don't be afraid to have a 'kid leash' on hand if your kid is a runner. I don't care if a few people look at me nasty or think a leash is cruel...if DD gets in one of those darting moods, she gets hooked up unitl she straightens out and starts listening...There is no way can I get over the turnstiles as fast as she can go under them if she decides to bolt...and there's a lot of powerful machinery for her to get hurt on if she darts the wrong way.

Other people may vacation differently, but I can honestly say for us that we're having more fun with DD along than when we went sans-kids...she goes by our schedule and has an absolute blast, and so do we...if she needs to sleep she is welcome to do so...we actually move faster when she finally passes out. :faint:

48 days until our first trip with DS :bounce: - he'll be almost 6 months for his first trip, DD will celebrate her 3rd b-day down there...we're not even remotely worried about this trip...with DS in the Snuggli, it will be a piece of cake...

Now the thought of having two walkers...or runners for that matter, that scares me!

brentm3

brentm3 said:
(7) Don't be afraid to have a 'kid leash' on hand if your kid is a runner. I don't care if a few people look at me nasty or think a leash is cruel...if DD gets in one of those darting moods, she gets hooked up unitl she straightens out and starts listening...There is no way can I get over the turnstiles as fast as she can go under them if she decides to bolt...and there's a lot of powerful machinery for her to get hurt on if she darts the wrong way.

brentm3

I know all about those! I have one that goes around the wrist and found it particularly useful when DS was a bit younger and didn't want to stand next to me at the long queue as the local USPS! Yes, I did get some strange looks, but others said they wished they had had one when they had small children :) .

As to the SUV stroller, I know what you mean (we are also an aviation enthusiastic family and went to Oshkosh last year - and are returning next week), so we know all about carting them on and off buses. The plus for us though is that there is so much storage space in the basket, that we can just "dump" the various cameras, bags etc and not break our back (I am a photography nut, hence have a digital SLR camera, a smaller digital camera and a digital video camera - it's a good way to let the family back home feel that we are still with them).

I used to take the umbrella stroller when we went on vacations, where we weren't going to be doing lots and lots of walking, but now the DS is way too tall for it, which makes it difficult to handle. Hopefully the fact we are hiring a minivan will help us out too (for those days that we can't face doing on a bus :) ).

Anyway, thanks for all the useful advice - it is all definitely appreciated!

emmasmom said:
along that same train of thought....did anyone question you re: the age of your child? Since my daughter is only going to be 4 weeks shy of 3 on our trip, I'm wondering is anyone is going to give us a hard time about not paying for her tickets, etc. Thanks! Amy
Never..and DD turned 3 on one of her trips. Since she turned 3 two days before we went home, we did not have to buy her a ticket(as per Disney) and no one ever asked either.
We did have to pay for her at buffets-starting on her birthday..though one server gave us the look like we were lying when we were charged for her the day before her birthday, but he did take it off.

rosetravels said:
Hi, my husband, two and a half year old boy and myself are planning on going to WDW in late October for a week and meeting up with his sister, her husband and their by then, five month old girl (they are flying over from Australia, which is where we are originally from too:) ) .

Do you think visiting WDW with a 5 month old and 2.5 yr old is a good idea or should we wait until they are older??? I wonder if I'm just really pushing the idea of going as the last time we visited was 1998 and I'd love to return!

Also, after reading quite a few posts on the subject, I thought that if we did go it would be good to try and rent some points for a 2BR villa, but I've read that you should get references and a contract. Is there a standard contract out there that people use???

Sorry for all the questions, but I really hope you can help :earsgirl: .

We have taken our son since he was born. He is 8 and has been to Disney 7 times!! It is great. Every year he would remember something more. When he was 1.5, he would day "Dumbo" over and over whenever we talked about vacation.

Next year we are doing California instead, he is stressing. He doesn't understand the concept of not going to the world.

I heard from many people about him being young, won't apprecaite it etc....I must say that I totally disagree. We have had many memories that can never be replaced.

I also buy the laser paper weight each time. It is great to see how he has grown through the years.

Go for it!!

Kim

quentina said:
I also buy the laser paper weight each time. It is great to see how he has grown through the years.

Go for it!!

Kim

Hi Kim, well we have decided to go for it and have a confirmed booking for OKW!

Where do you get the laser paper weight? I've never heard of it before. I had read suggestions about filling up a box of Mr Potato Head parts for $18 (which I will probably do as the DS likes his Mr Potato Head), but the paper weight sounds like a good memento.

I'm also thinking about getting characters' autographs for him - he may not appreciate them right now, but I think he will like to have them when he is a bit older. I'm planning on filling up a little diary for him with photos etc so he can look back at it after the holiday. Years ago, my sister took her 2 yr old DS and 5 yr old DD and they loved looking at the photos even years later, although they did complain that "they were too little and couldn't remember it and wanted to go back" - not the easiest thing when you live in Melbourne, Australia!

rosetravels said:
Hi Kim, well we have decided to go for it and have a confirmed booking for OKW!

Where do you get the laser paper weight? I've never heard of it before. I had read suggestions about filling up a box of Mr Potato Head parts for $18 (which I will probably do as the DS likes his Mr Potato Head), but the paper weight sounds like a good memento.

I'm also thinking about getting characters' autographs for him - he may not appreciate them right now, but I think he will like to have them when he is a bit older. I'm planning on filling up a little diary for him with photos etc so he can look back at it after the holiday. Years ago, my sister took her 2 yr old DS and 5 yr old DD and they loved looking at the photos even years later, although they did complain that "they were too little and couldn't remember it and wanted to go back" - not the easiest thing when you live in Melbourne, Australia!

I know they offer the laser paperweights in Imagination with Figment after you get off the ride and go into the area where the kiddies can explore and such. I am sure people here know of other places as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter