We made CNN

Spacexalp

Earning My Ears
Earlier, GreenKman had called CNN and many of us here had sent in newstips about it. Green just got the phone call back from CNN saying that they have looked into the story, and that the story will go live tomorrow (April 09, 2008) at 12PM PST.

This is what CNN has told us, so we can only hope that nothing goes otherwise and we actually made it.

We are getting somewhere guys!
-Spacexalp

Woot if this is true -- I sent an email to them as well. :hug:

That is awesome!!! Way to go guys :) Hopefully it will help, but it doesn't hurt to try. TYVM :cool1:

Wow! I hope its true! That would be so amazing - and a great way for the people at Disney to see who they are messing with ;)!

YESSSSSSS!!!!! yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!! fantastic!! I'm so proud of everyone! We can SAVE VMK!!! WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT!!!

Awesome!I will sure going to watch it.I hope that they will get vmk open for a few more years.I hope that all are wishes will come true.Just pray this will happen..

YESSSSSSS!!!!! yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!! fantastic!! I'm so proud of everyone! We can SAVE VMK!!! WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT!!!

I KNEW THIS WOULD WORK! KEEP IT UP EVERYONE, NOW WE JUST NEED TO WORK TWICE AS MUCH! SEND DOUBLE THE MESSAGES! MAN THE CANNONS, HOIST THE COLORS! oh lol sorry i got a bit excited there pirate:

here is a copy of what i sent into CNN...

The Disney Corporation is turning its back on their loyal customers. Virtual Magic Kingdom (VMK) is a free online game, but to all who play, it is not just a game. It is a mode for parents to connect with their children, a motivation for children to stay off the streets and out of trouble, and it is also a safe way to teach children how to be good citizens before they get out into the real world. However, Disney Internet Group does not care about how much the site means to its over a quarter of a million players! It blatantly ignores please from people young and old to keep the site running. All they seem to care about is the revenue. I understand from a business perspective the cost of things is important, but they should consider the cost to the children as well. Nearly everyone who plays VMK currently is willing to pay to keep it open; the only ones who would not are those who can not afford it. There is such an out pouring of sentiment about this issue on various sites dedicated to keeping VMK alive. Many of the contacts to Disney that we have available to us as customers have been blocked off since VMK recently reported its up coming closure on May 21, 2008. I only hope my plea to you will not also fall on deaf ears. VMK has become like a family to us… a network, a support group… that would be lost because of the disregard of a few people. Please, help spread the word and make the facts known about this issue that means so much too so many people.

i believe it was forwarded by a friend to another news station also.

dont forget to fill out my survey to help my letter writing campaign. it's not over yet!!!!!

Way to go, guys! Disney must hate nothing more than bad publicity.

YES!!

People do NOT stop sending in info! Keep this active!

Here is a great example of what CNN has recieved - this by my friend EvlQueen (used with her permission)
Once upon a time there was an online game called VMK. It stands for Virtual Magic Kingdom, and it was an online replica of the Magic Kingdom park at Walt Disney world. It was originally created to promote Disneyland’s 50th anniversary in 2005, and lots of children and their parents alike created characters and dressed them up, designed rooms, played games and made friends on this site. All for free. After 3 years, many strong friendships had been made, and VMK had become a daily habit for thousands of people. It served a particularly helpful function in the form of being a “fix” for the Disney fanatics that were between trips to WDW or Disneyland. Fun was had by all. Then on April 7 2008 with no warning, VMK announced that it would close on May 21, 2008. If you read the Disney bulletin boards like Disboards.com, you will see that people are more than upset. They have started petitions, mail writing and phone campaigns to save VMK. They have offered to pay for the privilege of playing. Interestingly, Disney has no plans to close the sites they have that are already pay to play (i.e. Pirates of the Caribbean Online, Toontown, Club Penguin). But they really don’t seem to care about the thousands of people for whom this little site had become a daily habit. Is money really the only thing that matters to Disney now?

I am a psychologist who works with children in Florida; I am also a VMK addict. I am writing to express the anger and sadness I (and so many others like me) feel about the sudden closing of VMK. Please don’t misunderstand; I don’t think that Disney owes us a free online game indefinitely. But to allow people (children, adults, Disney fans in general) to play for 3 years with no idea the end is coming is just wrong. Many, myself included, would pay to play.

My family started playing VMK in the summer of 2005. My daughter was 8. She and her dad found the game and I thought they were crazy. Then I made my own character and I was hooked. If you look on the dis boards you will see all kinds of people, kids and adults alike, who have used VMK for their escape from the troubles of everyday life. Some people had serious illnesses or limitations that kept them from leaving home, and VMK was respite. Just like WDW and DLR, VMK is a sanctuary: you can make some new friends, there are fun things to do, and most everything is quite lovely to look at. Whether they were talking to their friends (real friendships were forged on this site over 3 years‘ time!) or building a room, it was a place to go for some real joy. Isn’t that what Disney is all about?

In the beginning, we never saw it as a forever thing. But as the years went by, it became a part of our daily life. We made friends that we came to look for each day, we decorated our rooms, and got better at the games. We couldn’t wait for the new costumes to come out; that first Halloween we almost lost our minds. We entered competitions and stood in line for host rooms. It became a big part of our life, just like everything Disney does. People count down their trips to WDW and DRL starting a year before departure! VMK was a place to go for our Disney fix in the meantime. What will we do now?

Okay, you might not appreciate my sad story, but the most appalling part of the whole thing is the way they lied to the kids (and adults). What message does this send to the kids? They told us the VMK Central closings in the real Disney parks meant nothing; they told us new items were coming next month. They had this huge quest and brought out a new room and tons of new items for sale that everyone was excited about. Then unceremoniously on April 7 (with a poll still in the newsletter asking us what we would like to see more of in VMK), they announced its end. This is not the Disney way. This is not what Walt would have wanted. Don’t lie to us and then tell us that VMK ending is not such a bad thing. If a child showed up at the Magic Kingdom or Disneyland and the castle was gone, would you tell them to just deal with it? Go to another park, perhaps? It’s that big of a deal, people; believe it. Tell us how to keep it alive.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sincerely,

$@#^*%$^%, Ph.D.

aka EvlQueen

This is great news! Fight the good fight everyone! No tears or crying, just do everything you can to stop this from happening. :mic:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter