We should have gotten better space adventure movies than the J.J. Abrams Star Trek and Star Wars movies during the late 2000s to mid 2010s

We should have gotten better space fantasy movies than the J.J. Abrams Star Trek and Star Wars movies during late 2000s and early to mid 2010s!

Who else here agrees?

Imagine a timeline where instead of those movies we have had gotten excellent adaptations of sci fi that had a sense of wonder like "Mass Effect", Iain M. Banks's "Culture", Vernor Vinge's "A Fire Upon the Deep", or "Dune".

Guardians of the Galaxy was good but I don't remember it having as strong a sense of awe and wonder as the sci fi mentioned above.

If I was given the ability to go back in time and change anything I want I would still have the MCU still be made but I would replace the J.J. Abrams Trek and Wars as well as Jupiter Ascending and Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets with much better space adventure movies.

I would also replace "Gravity" in 2012 with a biopic about Neil Armstrong or a astronaut movie on the level of quality as "Interstellar" or "The Martian".

It is sad that the best we had during the 2000s and early 2010s was Michael Bay and J.J. Abrams.

It seemed like there was a stigma against sci fi back then or at least a snobbish attitude toward it.

Did those attitudes made it hard to attract good writers, directors, and actors to this genre?

Or did Hollywood began to think the attention span of movie goers became shorter?

Why did Hollywood did such a bad job at cultivating sci fi talent during the 2000s?

Last edited:
For selfish reasons, I would like to see an end to the start/stop for a new theatrical release for Battlestar Galactica. It has been rumored for many years, yet we have seen nothing. The Sci-Fy channel was captivating, albeit quite different from the Glen Larson era.

I would like a re-telling of the 12 colonies of man while showing the 13th tribe leaving for Earth.

I pretty well enjoyed the movies in question as fun "Space Adventure" movies. It would have been nce to get moree good "hard sci-fi" too, but it's not an either-or proposition for me. J.J.'s a bit of a crowd-pleaser type of director, but there's nothing wrong with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter