• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

We were told we won a night in the castle!

Well I am glad you are laughing I would have been terribly upset. That is NOT funny to me. In fact it's downright mean to me.
woah, I am a pretty easy going person for the most part, but that would have made me really angry. Shame on him for playing on other's emotions!
I can tell you straight up what my reaction would have been! I know I would have been terribly upset and very very angry.
I'd have been very upset & hurt to have that type of a "joke" played on me.
I wouldn't find that funny at all! I would get quite upset if someone made a joke like that. Why would he do that, that's just mean and not at all funny.
I'd have been majorly P-O'd!
Ya know?? You have high tolerance....Let me tell you, as a winner in the YOAMD, and the grand prize winner, if someone would have done that to me, I would have been PO'd big time. Thats just wrong, you dont play around like that......That CM was way out of line......
I agree wholeheartedly. That DSCM was completely out of line.

To the OP: I'm so very, very sorry that happened to you.
Maybe he was feeling cranky because apparently the Dream Team won't have a job anymore in less than two weeks.
No, their old jobs are waiting for them. I know some DSCMs who burned their bridges when they joined the DS, and aren't looking forward to going back...

I'd have been in too much shock to even respond, but I'm betting that later on I'd be contemplating scenarios involving the CM, a crow bar and the MK trash removal system.

I think like the op I would have had to laugh or cry. However if one of my children overheard that I would have been really mad. They certainly would not understand. OP kudos to you for keeping your cool!

My husband and I had similar (but not that seemingly *literal*) banter back and forth with a few CMs. We noted that CMs were hesitant in any jokes about castle wins--appropriately so.

That said, I don't think my husband nor I would have been angry, but being partly skeptics and partly knowing better as to odds, etc, we wouldn't have believed the CM in the first place.

But that is us. Others will wholeheartedly believe , and still others may not even know what all the YOAMD thing was. And the worst of it all would be if a child overheard this (and hopefully no CM has 'joked' about this to a child!).

An adult can work out any confusion & irritation--a child would be confused & crushed--and that is not all magical.

I think the OP handled the situation with a very generous heart, which is certainly nice to see, (instead of rants, raves, and 'get me your manager' kind of responses).

All in all, I do believe that CM dropped the proverbial ball on that one.

I would die to stay in the Castle. If a CM came up to me and said this I probably would've passed out. I know how giving the night stay in the Castle works but still if a Dream CM came up to me and said I won a nights stay I would still believe him. You never know what the circumstances could have been that given day.

Have to say to the OP that I wish I could let things go so easily. Thats a great trait to have.

Well my initial reaction was to think I'd have decked him, but I think it would depend on the whole back and forth. I can usually tell when someone is joking, so I doubt I'd have thought he was telling the truth but if it seemed like I was actually being told I won, and then had the rug pulled out from under me... I'd flip out. I have low tolerance for people who think they're funny but are actually just mean.

Well my initial reaction was to think I'd have decked him, but I think it would depend on the whole back and forth. I can usually tell when someone is joking, so I doubt I'd have thought he was telling the truth but if it seemed like I was actually being told I won, and then had the rug pulled out from under me... I'd flip out. I have low tolerance for people who think they're funny but are actually just mean.

I think my DH would have decked him too as for we always dreamed of this giveaway. I probably would have been too upset to even deal with it then but as a loyal AP holder who goes a few times a month to the parks, Disney would be getting a nice letter from me letting them know about what had happened. It is not nice to play cruel jokes on guests saying they won especially with something as nice as the Castle stay. Wonder how many other victims are out there?

DH was laughing his head off. He thought it was really funny. I was still somewhat breathless and then I started laughing my head off!:rotfl2:

Oh I don't think I'd be laughing about that one! I think that the CM would have gotten an earful from me!

In Aug08 my 2 dd's and I were in Tinkerbell's Treasures and a Dream Team member came up and spent at least 10min with my youngest...I kept thinking the whole time...is she going to give her something??? She didn't but the girls had a nice time chatting with her and asking questions about working a WDW and if she knew the princesses. Eventhough we didn't win anything we still got something from the experience...had she deliberately toyed with our emotions like that though I would have been furious!

woah, I am a pretty easy going person for the most part, but that would have made me really angry. Shame on him for playing on other's emotions!

Yeah me too. I think I would have flipped my lid on him. That's not nice.

Even if you know how the Night is given away, the person asking you the question was a DMCM!!!! There could have been a change in procedure. You can't say for sure what you would do in a certain situation. However, I think I would have been terribly disappointed & mad, gotten the CM's name & made sure he knew how mad I was about the stupid thing he had done! Then gone in search of a manager!!!! You should have been compensated in some way, even some small way, for that mean-spirited practical joke!!! If you have his name, I think I'd still contact Disney & report it.

Well I am glad you are laughing I would have been terribly upset. That is NOT funny to me. In fact it's downright mean to me. Tell you the truth I would have reported that CM because no telling how many people/kids he upsets with that "line" that he finds funny and tells his friends about the looks on people's faces when he tells them the truth...grrr....He finds joy in other people's sadness. Nope...not funny and I am sorry you went through this.

why would CM do this:sad1:

Read this or just scroll down to the bottom and read the last line.

I applaud you for not going bonkers but..... I would have. And I have a VERY sarcastic sense of humor. As strange as it may sound to some, there are ppl out here like me (and a bazillion other DIS boarders) that look at something like a night in the castle as a bonified dream come true because memories like that aren't shared by just anyone.

As I was reading through your post I was welling up with tears of happiness for you and I don't do that very often, trust me. And then I read it was a joke and instantly became ticked off. IF that had happened to ME I would have been bawling so much from just being told I was staying the night the CM wouldn't have DARED saying it was a joke.... cuz I would have gotten him and every other CM he even walked by fired. Well at the least I would have requested an audience with Mickey where that CM was publicly spanked by every big headed costume wearing character from every park. I'm envisioning a 3 hr procession taking place on the steps of the castle with big screen TVs floating above main street so even the ppl way back could see and like free tomato carts roaming around so everyone had something to throw at the guy ala the hunchback.....

All I can think about is what if last summer when we went for the very first time to WDW my 12 yr old Daughter had been told "Oh I'm kidding you're not really going to be a Grand Marshall in the parade! HA HA HA!"-- it would have CRUSHED her and she would NEVER want to go back. And neither would I. Again, I know it may sound strange to some but going to Disney and experiencing all the magic is NOT a joke to me, it's sommething I had to wait till I was 39 years old to do.

This whole scenario is SO unlike anything we experienced last summer on our first trip and also SO unlike anything I've ever read here I am hoping it's a joke in itself to see who would freak out the most- I win.

I think I would have been upset.

To the OP... I'm so very glad that you laughed it off. As a joke, I'm sure he meant no harm. You should be very proud to be able to handle life so easily, instead of acting insulted when you did not get what you wanted. My hat is off to you...I would have reacted the same way.

I would have reported that CM. That would have been devastating to me!! Not funny at all!

Maybe the CM was trying to find someone who really really really wanted it? I still say he deserved a public spanking.

My husband and I had similar (but not that seemingly *literal*) banter back and forth with a few CMs. We noted that CMs were hesitant in any jokes about castle wins--appropriately so.

That said, I don't think my husband nor I would have been angry, but being partly skeptics and partly knowing better as to odds, etc, we wouldn't have believed the CM in the first place.

But that is us. Others will wholeheartedly believe , and still others may not even know what all the YOAMD thing was. And the worst of it all would be if a child overheard this (and hopefully no CM has 'joked' about this to a child!).

An adult can work out any confusion & irritation--a child would be confused & crushed--and that is not all magical.

I think the OP handled the situation with a very generous heart, which is certainly nice to see, (instead of rants, raves, and 'get me your manager' kind of responses).

All in all, I do believe that CM dropped the proverbial ball on that one.
I totally understand your point, yet if someone doesn't "call the manager" that CM will continue to enjoy his little sadistic joke and that's just not right. I'd have called the manager's manager...That CM owed me a big apology and his boss an explaination, the next time it might be a child that hears it.

Well if they were looking for someone who really really really wanted it then they would have found that group. My heart was visibly pounding when he spoke to us!::yes::

As to turning him it, it never really occurred to me to do so. I did not even note his name so even if I later decided to tell on him I would have no way of positively IDing him.

Looking back on it I would love to know why he did what he did. Or even what he was really doing out there as a dream team member all alone.
Most of the time I saw dream team people in the last two years they were in small groups.

Ultimately there are no hard feelings, or even feelings of regret that we did not get angry about it. It is now just another silly story to tell about our Disney experiences. :goodvibes :rotfl:

I would have been so UPSET... he would have to have someone calm me down.. I would have been so excited... that is just terrible to do to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter