Week of July 4th or week between xmas and New Years

mickeymom629

DIS Veteran
Okay, I am trying to plan our 8th trip with the kids to WDW and I have reservations for the week of July 4th. Because we have been so many times, we don't need to rush here and there. My kids really want to go back to Typhoon Lagoon. My oldest two sons want to do the NFL experience (again) and my husband just wants a vacation.

My question is, which week would you choose? Many years ago we did do the week before xmas, so we have seen all the decorations and festivities at that time of year, but do you think it might be SLIGHTLY less crowded? Better weather (cooler but with a possibility of doing the water parks?)? We would be leaving the day of the 4th of July, and with the other option, we would be checking out on Jan. 2, 2004.

I just want to GO! Trying to figure out how to do both! ;)

I vote for summer. Because it's hot outside and the parks is open longer you take time.

I will see there July 4 th with my lime green ribbon on.:cool:

I also vote for July. We have been there at both of those times. The crowds were lighter the week of July 4th. The crowds were unbelievable the week between Christmas and New Year. We could hardly walk through the MK, and the standby wait for most of the popular rides was close to 2 hours or more.

We visit WDW the week of July 4th each summer, and we love it! Yes, it is crowded, but not too bad. The parks are open later, you can be sure the weather is warm enough to swim, and the atmosphere around the July 4th holiday is great!

As a side note, the value season at the deluxe resorts starts on July 4th, so the rates are also reduced. :):D:)

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I don;t think that I could do July 4th. I don't care for the heat that much and that the heat this time of year would suck the life right out of me :)

I see you go at great times of the year, but I have 4 kids (9, 11, 13 and 15) and I can't take them out of school too easily anymore :rolleyes: . We are DVC owners, too, so I am hoping to try to go both at July 4th and winter break next year, if I can.

We have been different times of the year (early Dec., late Oct., late April/early May, July, late Aug., Easter) and I don't know what is worse: crowds or heat. But it's true, both together can make it miserable. I would love to be able to plan trip times that could avoid both. Worse than the heat are the horrible thunder storms (we were stuck in Norway once for about an hour or so during one bad lightening storm that sounded like the fireworks in the lagoon were being set off!)

Because we have been a number of times, my kids don't need to do everything and they really are anxious to do the waterparks again (summer is probably best for that).

I was just curious what those of you think who have gone at those times (we have been the week after the 4th, never before and we haven't been the week between Christmas and New Year's either) , so I really like hearing your thoughts. :D

Luckily we don;t have that issue to deal with. My kids can go to the kennel any time of the yeat ;)

It is hard trying to coordinate with school vacations. Since the kids priorities do depend on weather to some degree, I would do July. The parks have awesome hours and you know the weather will allow swimming:)

Good luck with your decision!

I, too, would vote for the 4th of July time. We just got back (12/29-1/4). We loved it b/c we'd never seen the Christmas stuff before. Like you, we have been to the parks a lot in the last few years, so the consensus of opinion is that we will go back to going when we know we can swim and enjoy all the other activities Disney has to offer. We were lucky enough to be able to swim a little bit on this last trip, but I understand that mid 70's is not typical for this time of year. Our last 2 days were quite chilly--definitely not swimming weather. Also, on the days we did swim, there was a pretty small window of time in the afternoon when the chill of the morning wore off and before the sun goes down in the evening. Whenever you go, have a great time!! (We are actually planning to be there right before the 4th & doing the 3 night cruise over the 4th :D )

Familymagic, that sounds like a great plan! I think we are going to go both times. We're going to stay at the All Stars in the summer because the kids miss it. We will stay with our DVC points in December and I'm hoping it will be either at the BW or the new BCV. We are going on our first cruise soon, I don't think we'll be able to afford that again anytime soon. But I was wondering about the same dates you are going.

If memory serves me correctly Typhoon Lagoon is not open in December. I know it wasn't open the first week of December 2002 and I don't believe it was scheduled to re-open until after January. I may be wrong on the time frame but it seems I've read that Typhoon Lagoon is usually down that time of year.

Yes, I believe you are right about Typhoon Lagoon. That's why I know we will try to go in July, I guess. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter