Week of Oct 2 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

aladdinsgirl said:
Oh, question for those who use the fanny packs when you run. Do you just buy a regular fanny pack from Target or wherever or do you have like a cool max one? I can't believe I'm asking this question since funny packs are against my religion ( :teeth: ), but I think it would be handy to have one on long runs for keys, cell phone, bars, etc. And do you guys carry water bottles in your hand?

My fanny pack I wear up front---and it is the American Express Disney one they used to hand out when you charged your Disney vacation on American express. I have an overprized fanny-like pack thing that holds a bottle and I wear it on the back.

Someone on our team has a really cool one that is a fanny pack and bottle holder. Looked kind a big--but it was neat. I think he got it at Walmart or Target.

It sits on top of my clothes, so I don't worry about it being a cool max item.

Heather - Just wanted to clarify that the full marathoners do get weeks with 2 rest days. I think it averages about every otehr week. There were no extras at teh beginiing, I just finished 2 weeks in a row w/o and extra, but I get an extra this week and all but one week this month. So, give yourself and added break every now and then.

keenercam said:
for no pressure to exercise.

Does anyone know -- The MFM walk the half plan has me resting on Sunday and Wednesday. Does that mean I really shouldn't do anything at all? I mean, if I feel up to going to the gym and doing the elliptical or bike, should I not? Also, if it says to walk for 30 minutes but I really feel like going further, should I not? Just curious as to what all you experienced half marathoners think. (of course, later on in the training when it says I have to walk 10 miles, I am sure I won't be the slightest bit tempted to go further than prescribed! ;) )

Couple things--I'm the poster child of injury for doing more than you are supposed to before you are supposed to be doing it.

If you want to follow a training program it is best to do the workouts as suggested. So if it says do ____ for 30 minutes...you should do it for 30 minutes, not including your warm up and cool down. The exception would be for cross training activities that you have been doing long before your training. My xtrain is a pilates dvd that is an hour that was prescribed to me--no way I can cut it down to 30---so I'm cheating...but I was doing these exercises for several months. If I could cut it down, I would. I'm already paying the price for only doing it 1 time per week...but really no way to squeeze more in.

AS far as those rest days--they are rest...don't go swimming, don't go biking, don't go running instead of walking or walking instead of running. Don't do anything deliberately in the form of exercise. It doesn't mean sitting all day--it just means don't do a workout. Gives your muscles a chance to heal and rest and let them get used to the load they are getting.

I hate rest days--but they are there to keep your body safe and can impede your progress or set you up for injury later down the road. Been there, done that. Not following the guidelines can make for some pretty sucky set backs.

ETA: Rest means rest--but it does not mean being lazy...sitting around for muscles to lock up (on down the road when the distances are more intense) is bad...you want to keep moving....you just don't want to go and deliberately exercise.

As far as MTM only the walking and running full schedule have the one rest day....I think it assumes an experienced fitness level....and many marathon schedules out there have just the one rest day....for novices, the 2 days is recommended and according to the book, if you are a novice, you wouldn't be tackling a full before you tackle a half and you wouldn't be running that full in entirety unless you were in tip top shape anyway. So take that with a grain of salt in your consideration of eliminating a rest day.

We have an elite runner on our team (I say elite because in about the time that it took most to do 8 miles, this girl did 12). She's on a 3 day training program--and if it is the one I'm thinking of, it only has 2 xtrain days on top of that. So even then, she is resting for 2 days--and this girl....FLIES!!!!

Wow--that was a long edit.

keenercam said:
Thanks, Lisa! That certainly answers the question.

:teeth:

I've gotten spoken to quite a bit about this by my coaches. :blush:

I'd just hate to hear one of us later on suffering a set back (aka--injury) b/c we were very excited in the beginning to do more.

Well today was my 40 min walk. It went pretty good. I avg 14:47 pace for the whole 40 min. I was happy with that. I just want a sub 15 min pace for the race.

I think I'm going to try the sport Jelly Bellies. Even the thought of Gu makes me gag. I like the Snickers Marathon but I think it's too heavy to use during LR. My mom likes this idea because she loves Jelly Bellies.

Minnie-def get the 201. I love mine & I haven't even begun to use it to it's fullest potential. The rechargable battery is great. It last for 14 hrs on 1 charges.

Now I dont want any of you guys pushing yourselves too much & getting injured. There are rest days for a reason & if you get injured you will have to take a bunch of extra rest days! I have not had a problem taking my rest days. My calves appreaciate them!

Hello everyone! I am checking in again - it's been a few months. :blush: I've been reading the thread off and on all summer. So glad everyone is doing well! I kind of lost a bit of my motivation, and stopped running for a while, but I think I'm back on track! I am up to 8.5 for my long run (last Sat.), and wogged 3.25 last night. I want to up my mileage because I know I'm a bit behind on the training schedule (trying to do Galloway's), but also trying not to overdo before this weekend. DH and I are doing both races at Disney - the Komen 5K and Disney 10K. (Another reason I had to get things back on track!!!) :earseek: Anyone else going this weekend?

Anyway, it feels good to be back. The weather lately has been soooo nice! I can't wait to get read how the training is going for everyone else! :goodvibes

OK, we need to get going on this. I did a search adn Liz had all the details on imprinting CoolMax shirts.

lizdotcom said:
So about the shirts....I found place that will imprint them as well! Here is the info...Shirt Info We would need to add a one time $15 set up fee for the printing. Printing can be a 12x12 area for the back of the shirts. For the price shown, that reflects a two color print. To add each color beyond two, we will need to add a $15 set up charge and $.65 per color per shirt. That is based on the 24-49 shirt price. If we get more it will get cheaper.....less, more expensive. For the artfully talented folks.....they would prefer the logo done in Adobe Illustrator, in an EPS file with the font seperately....in case they do not have it.....Since names on our shirts has been mentioned and it is going to get expensive to do such a thing....I know that some of the iron transfers that can be made on the computer are quite good.......is it possible to think about printing a name and then irioning it above the logo that we use so the shirts are personalized?

We have a saying, but nothing else. We need a logo ASAP.

Liz - I'm thinking you would rather not be in charge of this, because you are not running, but please let em know if I'm off base.

It looks like 14 cotton and 44 CoolMax were requested. If you follow the link in Liz's post, there are price ranges and minimums. I'm not sure if teh price is how many you need for each size or total. My guess is per size. Liz, can you clarify?

Seeing as there is not a huge request for cotton, I would prefer just to do one. If someone wants to take over cotton, that's fine. If I can do it easily through wherever we end up, i'll go for it. I just can'r spend too much time on it.

Also, that place only appears to have short sleeve. Someone gave me a link elsewhere on teh Shirt thread, but I could not find sleeveless there either. ETA: They did have mens and women's tanks at the link above. There is a minimum of 12 for each type. I'm going to start a thread for sizes and short sleeve or tank.

Has anyone else found anything better? I am going to try to look at soem local places too. In the meantime, we really need a logo and a font for the shirt.

Hi all - adding to the rest debate, I have to have my two days off or I'd go mad, and you'll really want it when you get to the higher mileages. I'm getting over the fact that I'm currently running slightly less than normal by doing a longer run than I'm supposed to on my Monday nights (not least because Adidas are organising free races here to get everyone ready for the Auckland half marathon on the 30th). My last two Monday's have been the same distance as my weekend long run - but done in two halfs with a 15 minute break between them, and I'm cutting about 10-15 minutes off my long run time!!!. Am now trying to work out if I can run the marathon as four x 10.5km runs with a little sit down in between.

Carrie re your footpain - I get that when my shoes are laced too tight, if my orthotic moves, or, if I swap to shoes without a bendy sole. I actually had it Saturday on my long run as I was in new shoes about half a size too big and they alter the position of my orthotic. Don't quite know what Im going to do there - they've discontinued my favourite shoe so I can't find any in my correct size, and my perfect pair are about ready for retirement. Every other shoe I've tried gives me blisters for a few months, and I do not want to be running 40+km a week with blisters.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
AS far as those rest days--they are rest...don't go swimming, don't go biking, don't go running instead of walking or walking instead of running. Don't do anything deliberately in the form of exercise. It doesn't mean sitting all day--it just means don't do a workout. Gives your muscles a chance to heal and rest and let them get used to the load they are getting.
I hate rest days--but they are there to keep your body safe and can impede your progress or set you up for injury later down the road. Been there, done that. Not following the guidelines can make for some pretty sucky set backs.
ETA: Rest means rest--but it does not mean being lazy...sitting around for muscles to lock up (on down the road when the distances are more intense) is bad...you want to keep moving....you just don't want to go and deliberately exercise.

I have to second and third the rest days! Mainly the days after a LR when I can hardly go up and down the steps! I do not know anything about MFM, but it sounds alot like what Bree, DH and I follow. We just do what Ron tells us to do. However, if you are going Goofy, you do need to do back to back LRs to get your body used to this. :earseek: We do these every other weekend and that seems to work great. I do sometimes swim lightly, bike, or kick boxing before LRs, but that is just me and I don't go all out. :rolleyes: I have been doing this for 2 to 3 years so if you are not used to being this active, do not do this. I think everyone is different, so you have to do what works for you.:confused3 Once again, just my opinion. It sounds like I am on both sides doesn't it?

Ran 3 miles and lifted weights for about an hour today. Tried to work on the core and arms with weights (some legs). Trying to take the running milage easy b/c we are doing 7 Thursday and 14 Friday! :earseek:

We are getting so close & I am EXCITED! :hourglass

Whew! Just got back from an hour fitness class called Muscle Madness and now I know why they call it that! ouch :sunny:

crzy4pooh- mom(NYcpa) and I are doing the Race for the Cure this weekend but not the Race for the Taste. It's a mini vacation- I want to get a little sleep. I also did the Maine Half Marathon this past weekend so racing both this coming weekend wouldn't be the brightest thing I ever did.

rest debate- I rarely take a day completely off but I NEVER do back to back hard workouts in the same sport. If I ride really hard or really long, I'll tend to put an easy ride day in there before doing a long run or I'll swim. My training schedule is a bit different though because so far I'm an abject failure at training like a runneras so far I've done far more riding than running. I have only been following the training plan for the long runs plus running twice more per week. I am going to change that though and see if through higher run mileage and some tempo runs I can pick up some foot speed.

I biked easy yesterday and swam today. Have a little soreness going down stairs. Would have biked today but the fog cleared out only briefly. If you went inland today the temperature rose 15 degrees and it was sunny and clear. I've ridden the coast when it's socked in but I don't really like it as I'm not a huge fan of the wet and cold combo. Tomorrow is a run day so I'll do that regardless of the weather.

I know I'm late with comments, this job thing is cramping my style :teeth: , but

Rest means rest. You are stressing your body big time as you build, and rest days (1) allow your body time off to heal, and (2) give you fresher legs for the longer or faster training runs. If you're planning a long run, and you feel fatigued even before you begin, it isn't going to be pretty. It's easy to obsess about not doing enough training, but if you are working hard, you're much more likely to over train than under train. Give your body a break, it has earned it.

ALSO, in the week before a race, be sure to taper and rest. You absolutely cannot do anything to improve your fitness in that last week, but you sure can mess yourself up by arriving at the starting line tired. I learned this lesson long ago in a very, very ugly 20K, and so far I haven't repeated that mistake. For the 10K Sunday morning today was my last run, an easy 5K, and on Thursday afternoon I'll do 30 easy minutes on the bike. Travel to Orlando Friday, walk about some Friday and Saturday, and I should feel lively Sunday at 7 a.m.

For the half on Saturday, January 7, my last run will be late Monday, short and easy, and I'll bike Wednesday evening, again short and easy. The goal is to feel fresh for the half, not work hard in advance.

Regarding Gel, I vividly remember the stuff at about mile 9 last year. As we ran the stretch from the ticket and transport center to the Contemporary, just under the monorail, there were tubes of the stuff everywhere on the ground, slippery stuff it is too. I felt like I was in a Marx Brothers movie, trying not to slip on the gel. I assume I'll need some during the full, but seeing it squished all over the road wasn't too appetizing.

Craig

Here's one idea for the WISH logo. I'll try a few more, ASAP.

wishLOGO2.jpg

Can we have 3 colors, 2 or only 1? Any restrictions. Any suggestions?

Hi all,
Slippery gel, I don't seem to remember the slippery part. Glad of that.
Craig, sorry your work is getting in the way of our training thread. Sheesh!

I really pull that waistpack of mine on kinda tight so it does not slip off. I don't have much of a problem with it slipping up, only does that once in a while.

Lisa, I use that fine waistpack mostly too. I was just thinking of the DIS waistback in case I might want to pack away MORE stuff!
:rotfl:

After reflecting about the sustenance situation, I am sure I will be taking the water and gels to have at my pleasure, so the waistpack will come in handy.

Sunny, you are an artist! I like that logo for sure!

I went out for a 5 miler tonight. It was a great evening. Lovely weather. Still had some issue with my Garmin tracking in ohter figures than my jogging distance. Perplexing...
fooled around with that for longer than I should but still came in at 1:12. I did try to press up for part of the times so I guess that made up for the times I was crawling whilst fussing with my toy.

Here's another idea.

wishLOGO3.jpg

What color will the shirts be?

xterratri said:
crzy4pooh- mom(NYcpa) and I are doing the Race for the Cure this weekend but not the Race for the Taste. It's a mini vacation- I want to get a little sleep. I also did the Maine Half Marathon this past weekend so racing both this coming weekend wouldn't be the brightest thing I ever did.

Hey! I'd love to meet you both. I've read about some of your races - you are truly amazing! :earseek: I will be going slow on Saturday so I can be okay on Sunday - I will NOT get swept in the 10K!!! :blush: I will be wearing a shirt that says "In training for the Disney World Marathon" with a picture of Pooh doing his exercise in front of a mirror for the Komen. On Sunday I will have a tank with Mickey and Minnie and "In training for the Disney Marathon..." (I got inspired by the T-shirt design thread on the Crafting/Scrapbooking Board - can you tell???) :teeth: I know there are tons of people, but please come say "Hi" if you see me - it would be great to meet some Wishers! :teeth:

Chimera - Thanks! It really feels good to know I am doing something positive and healthy. Thanks for asking about Bill - he is awesome!!! He has already done a 14+ long run. He has also been very patient with my lack of motivation! :blush: In fact, he has done everything he can to get me out running again - he got me a garmin, and a jogging stroller, and an arm radio, and shoes/socks, etc. Pretty much every excuse I came up with, he found a solution! Plus, he's just a great hubby!!!!! :love2:

Well, I need to get some sleep. I'm going to do a very slow wog tomorrow morning with DS in the jogger. That will probably be it before this weekend.

Happy training!!! :cheer2:

Sunny - I like your t-shirt ideas! They look great!

Lynn - I'm doing my first century ride this sat. Any advice? It is a charity ride and we have a team of at least 6 people so we should be able to draft a fair amount. I think there are pretty good food/aid stations every 10 miles or so. I don't want to stop at all because I can see us taking FOREVER if we do!!! I don't want to miss the one's with good food though. Last year I did the 50 and I remember that one of the aid stations had cracker jacks YUM!!!

Today I did a 7 mile tempo run. My pace was around 9:22, which is pretty good for me. I did stop the garmin for a bathroom break in between miles 3 and 4, but I kept it going through all the traffic lights and 4 way stops. Tomorrow is not a running day, but I might swim in the evening. I have my long run on thurs (13miles) then this weekend is the century ride. I am resting sunday (or I may kayak with the boy and grandparents, but that won't be too hard core!!!)

Christa - I am stressing about the goofy thing. I noticed that you are already doing back to back long runs. I decided (because of all of the adventure races and rides....) that I was going to use the 3day/week program that you told me about in runners world and then add 1/2 the mileage the day before on the 3 longest runs (1 eighteen miler and 2 twenty milers) How hard has it been for you and bree to do the back to back runs? I think by the time I get up to the bigger mileage runs, all of my other races will be done and i can actually focus more on running.

I'm going to soak in a hot bath and then drink a decaf mocha!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter