Weiss and Kwan win National Championships

Snoopy, if I read my info correctly, you can buy tickets to practice sessions in DC for Worlds. That's usually only included in the all-event ticket. If you've never been to a practice, they are worth checking out. 5 or 6 world class skaters, all on the ice at the same time, whizzing around. They play each skaters music once during the session, sometimes they skate the program, more often they just skate parts of it. The other skaters continue to skate through this music too!! Katarina Witt was famous for skating to other's music to psych them out.

The other fun part of practice is skating-celebrity watching in the audience. You'll see retired skaters and current skaters. Once Dick Button spoke to me at a practice session. I was intently watching the action in the tunnel with a pair of binoculars and a voice said "Excuse me, can I get by?" I knew who it was before I even turned my head around!! LOL!! I was ridiculously thrilled and excited. I mean...he brushed RIGHT BY ME!!! LOL!!

Maybe we should re-think the meet and have it at a practice session!! That could be fun!!!

Honeywolf: I like Anne Patrice, too!

Wow, thats an idea, d. kurz! Are the practice sessions free, or do you have to pay something to see them?

I know what you mean about being star struck by figure skaters. I was having a cocktail in a hotel bar once, and in walked a bunch of skaters - Kristi Yamacuchi, Scott Hamilton, Katerina Witt, Maya Usova (sp?) and her ex husband, can't think of his name (both were snots, so it doesn't stand out). In any case, I ran up to Scott and said hi. My girlfriend was a little shy, so she was afraid to come up and talk. So I asked him if he would come over to where my friend was sitting and say hi. He was so very nice, and said sure. So I go, "Scott, this is my girlfriend Tina HAMILTON!!!" ROFL! Meanwhile Tina's last name is NOT Hamilton, not even close! teehee! The poor man probably wanted to RUN away from us, but he was so nice he sat there and chatted with us for a bit. :) I felt like a fool, heh heh.

LOL, Snoopy....I would have guessed that Scott Hamilton would be nice (and Maya's husband's name was Alexander Zhulin.)

Right, HW! Didn't he go by Sasha too? He was soooooo stuck up, couldn't be bothered with all of the people wanting autographs. I didn't dare even look in his direction, didn't want him to think he had a fan in me. His wife was/is beautiful, she looks like a typical ballerina, but she also looked like she couldn't be bothered.

I think that he did, Snoopy. That doesn't surprise me about them, either....they were a VERY strange couple.

CourtasanSatine: Pairs: Tiffany Scott and Philip Dulebohn rose above the rest for their first U.S. title.

Dance: Naomi Lang and Peter Tchernyshev

Snoopy: You DO have to pay for practice sessions.
It looks like they are $12.00. There is one Saturday morning at 9:30 that would no doubt be a practice for the ladies long. We will have to do some research on this one, eh? Great story about your friend Tina Hamilton!!!!

Here are
PAIRS
Place SP FS Name Club FP
1. 1 1 Tiffany Scott Colonial FSC 1.5
Philip Dulebohn Univ of Delaware FSC
2. 4 2 Kathryn Orscher SC of Hartford 4.0
Garrett Lucash Charter Oak FSC
3. 5 3 Rena Inoue All Year FSC 5.5
John Baldwin All Year FSC
4. 3 4 Larisa Spielberg Onyx Skating Academy 5.5
Craig Joeright Onyx Skating Academy
5. 2 5 Stephanie Kalesavich Detroit SC 6.0
Aaron Parchem Detroit SC
6. 6 6 Jennifer Don Texas Gulf Coast FSC 9.0
Jonathon Hunt Univ of Delaware FSC
7. 9 7 Laura Handy Univ of Delaware FSC 11.5
Jeremy Allen Univ of Delaware FSC
8. 8 8 Tiffany Stiegler Los Angeles FSC 12.0
Johnnie Stiegler Los Angeles FSC
9. 7 9 Marcy Hinzmann Winterhurst FSC 12.5
Steve Hartsell Detroit SC
10. 12 10 Kristen Roth Detroit SC 16.0
Michael McPherson Detroit SC
11. 10 11 Tiffany Vise Broadmoor SC 16.0
Laureano Ibarra Colorado SC
12. 11 12 Amanda Evora Southwest Florida FSC 17.5
Mark Ladwig Red River Valley FSC
13. 13 13 Emma Phibbs Washington FSC 19.5
Devin Patrick All Year FSC
14. 14 14 Stacey Pensgen Genesee FSC 21.0
Derek Trent Broadmoor SC
15. 16 15 Lindsay Rogeness Los Angeles FSC 23.0
Brian Rogeness Detroit SC
16. 15 16 Jacqueline Matson Glacier Falls FSC 23.5
Don Baldwin Los Angeles FSC

$12 is not bad. I figured the practice sessions would not be free, considering the tickets are so expensive. I'll try and find out what it takes to get tickets.

I've only had the chance to go to one Worlds in the US and that was in Cincinnatti. My mom & I went to every practice session and every elimination. If you can afford the ticket prices, go watch the practice and the elimination rounds. I saw a very small Medori Ito dazzle the crowd with her jumps.
We had a great time.

I didn't realize the practice sessions were that cheap...HMMMM....I might have to think about that as well.

I was checking out Ticketmaster and it seems they have only upper level seats for practice available. That would make sense, since you can't sell an all-event ticket holder's seat. I also know that this will scare Snoopy off!! I've only been to Nationals and it was my experience that practices were EXTREMELY lightly attended. Maybe you could help us here, SHOES99. How well attended were Worlds practices? If you saw Midori, it had to be a number of years ago! My point is, you may have to buy those upper level seats, but you could probably sit anywhere.

1987 was a while ago, but the practice sessions were quite empty and you could sit anywhere. Most people just mingled around, saw old friends, and sat as close to the ice as possible.
We didn't have all event tickets, we had tickets for all the finals except the Senior Ladies. Quite an experience. I even went to the school figure events and there I got quite close to the ice.
For the Mens Final we were up in the rafters, but it was the battle of the Brians so it was fun.
Michele

I remember the Battle of The Brians....I was rooting for Brian Orser (I had the BIGGEST crush on him when I was that age.)

"Spirited" I guess that's a good way to describe Sasha Cohen. I was thinking "bratty." :rolleyes:

I caught bits and pieces of it. Good to hear Michelle won. She looked great and it was wonderful to see how excited she was after skating her program and getting her marks.

thanks, Shoes99. Practice just may be a GREAT spot for a DIS meet!!

How about Debi Thomas, Elaine Zayak, Janet Lynn and as much as most people dislike her Tonya Harding was the 1st woman from the USA to do a triple axel. She could have been one of the best.

I think a DIS meet at the ladies practice on Saturday sounds like fun.

<font color=navy>I'm sorry I missed the nationals. I have special interest in Michelle since she comes from our neck of the woods (Torrance is the next town over from me).

I would also like to see the notes when they come out. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter