Well I sure hope we LOVE SSR (Now Trip Report!!)

DisneyRegulars

DIS Veteran
So here we go again. Im back with another wordy trip report, well actually a pre-trip report at this point. We head down to SSR on July 18th -21st, 2013. Less than 2 months away now!!!! This trip was originally meant to be a Disney cruise, and we even had one booked. But after pricing out a WDW option, and realizing we could activate our annual passes earlier than originally planned, we bagged the cruise in favor of a WDW trip on rented SSR points. I was having severe Disney withdrawal after our Mother-In-Law infested trip in January, so on top of withdrawal having the trip cost ½ the price of a cruise made it an easy switch.

Overtime our July trip gradually became a reconnaissance trip for our ever worsening case of addonitis. We were going to use the trip to scope out the resort (and others) and figure out if we liked it enough to add on there. The key SSR features we liked were its affordability both in resale points cost and annual dues, the resorts general ease of getting reservations past the 7 month mark, the 2054 end date, the pretty cool tree houses, and the proximity to Downtown Disney where if we could we would eat at Earl of Sandwich every night.

In preparation of looking to add on in the September time frame we of course started browsing the resale sites. BIG MISTAKE!!! We should have just waited until September to start looking. Well this past weekend we ended up making an offer on 300 SSR points (2-150 point contracts with the same use year). So now pending ROFR we are proud owners of a resort we have only ever seen in one very ill fated bus transfer to get to Downtown Disney from Blizzard Beach. (We waited over 45 minutes for a bus to Downtown, we had no idea we could have just walked!!)
So our reconnaissance trip has now turned into our first trip home, or so fondly referred to in the title as OH MY GOD I HOPE WE LIKE THIS PLACE!!!!!!. (Yes, all caps because it should be screamed with terror). Im slightly terrified, but more so just excited.

So who is the cast of this no longer reconnaissance trip? Its just my husband and I, little 3.5 year old minion is being left with his Grandparents, while Grizzly (husband) and I enjoy almost 4 full days out of the house and kid free celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary. To introduce myself further, I am a complete Disney addict. After finishing my graduate degree this past winter and having more time on my hands the addiction has only gotten worse. I can now surf the Disboards guilt free!!!!! I happily work full time, and have a 3 year old son who keeps me busy when Im not working. We are teaching my son to love board games as much as us.(Were a bit nerdy like that) His current favorite is Life which is a welcome switch from his last passion of a house wide version of 52 pickup. (I kid you not!). Grizzly is my wonderful husband. He is rather Grizzly bear like in every way, very good for hugging. Hes a sweetie, loves Disney every bit as much as me, and is obsessed with paranormal ghost shows and anything related to zombies. He won my heart again this weekend. Our bid on the resale contract was counter-offered with a number he felt was too high, so he declined the sale. Well, I tried to be understanding, but I was really disappointed and really wanted those contracts (I know it was irrational, but I got in my head nothing THAT perfect would ever come along again, and the counter-offer wasnt really that significantly different if you take into account the 40 year life of the purchase, whats another $35 a year right?) and kept sort of pushing and pining the rest of the day until finally he called up the resale agent 20 minutes before they closed and said we had changed our minds and would accept the sellers counter offer. After he put down the phone he told me that despite my final rationalization, that he had plans to buy the contracts on Monday anyways. What a sweetie.

The cast: Me and my son trying to placate our Disney withdrawal with a little trip to our local tiny amusement park, I'm the one on the left.
EyKKido.jpg

Grizzly (The kid attached to him is not going)(Yes, those are Mickey Crocs on his feet!):
em4ksBW.jpg

And finally a shot of both of us. I like this picture because my son took it. Finally, a shot of both of us within the last 3 years that wasn't taken at arms length!
1qb3iCy.jpg

So I just looked back at the pictures I chose to post, all just regular days for us, and in both my husband is wearing his Mickey hat, one he is wearing Mickey crocs, my son is wearing a mickey hat in one, and a Tigger hat in another, and I am wearing a "Mantenganse Alejado De las Puertas" monorail hat. Geez. I guess we are a bit Disney obsessed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Part 1: Getting There
Part 2: The Orlando Vista House of Wrath
Part 3: Thursday Morning, Typhoon Lagoon and Check-In to SSR
Part 4: SSR First Impressions
Part 5: Top of the World Lounge
Part 6: Blizzard Beach Lessons Learned
Part 7: A Brief Stop at Animal Kingdom
Part 8: Looking Up in Hollywood Studios
Part 9: Should have taken a nap!!!!!
Part 10: Ultimate Tour Preparations

My wife and I purchased 200 AKV points on a dis cruise in 2011, having never actually been to WDW (we're in Western Canada so go at least once a year to DL - was told that it wouldn't be an issue to get reservations at the Grand Californian using AKV points - if only I knew then what I know now...)

Anyway...

We took our first WDW trip back in April and spent a week at Kidani and 9 nights at SSR (as that was the only resort that had availability).

Long story short, we very much disliked AKV and absolutely loved SSR. Fabulous resort. Fabulous Pools. Awesome location right next to Downtown Dis.

While we don't particularly like WDW (sorry folks... DL is just exponentially better), when we have to take future trips to WDW because we couldn't get in to the Grand Californian, we will absolutely stay at SSR.

Hope you guys love it. We stayed at Saratoga last October and was very worried with so many negative reviews. We loved it! I would suggest requesting close to the carriage house as the resort is quite large.

Hope you guys love it. We stayed at Saratoga last October and was very worried with so many negative reviews. We loved it! I would suggest requesting close to the carriage house as the resort is quite large.

This trip I have requested 'near Downtown Disney' because I know we are more likely to walk to Downtown Disney multiple times than to walk to the pools, but we are for sure going to explore everywhere. Do you know how long it would take to walk to Downtown Disney if we requested Carraige House vs. Near Downtown Disney?

My wife and I purchased 200 AKV points on a dis cruise in 2011, having never actually been to WDW (we're in Western Canada so go at least once a year to DL - was told that it wouldn't be an issue to get reservations at the Grand Californian using AKV points - if only I knew then what I know now...)

Anyway...

We took our first WDW trip back in April and spent a week at Kidani and 9 nights at SSR (as that was the only resort that had availability).

Long story short, we very much disliked AKV and absolutely loved SSR. Fabulous resort. Fabulous Pools. Awesome location right next to Downtown Dis.

While we don't particularly like WDW (sorry folks... DL is just exponentially better), when we have to take future trips to WDW because we couldn't get in to the Grand Californian, we will absolutely stay at SSR.

I'm so sorry you dislike your home resort! We bought at Animal Kingdom too before actually staying at the resort (anyone see a pattern here), but we like it there quite a bit. With our new SSR points we will be able to upgrade from Value 1 BR to Savannah views now which is really exciting. I think it's unfortunate that you were led to believe getting a room at the Grand Californian would be easy.

I started off hearing lots of negative things about SSR too, but lately all I hear are from people that really love it. I'm really excited to see it for myself.

Looking at the ages of your boys, you will love SSR. There is lots for them to do there. There are two big feature pools for them to hang out in. Did I mention SSR has 5 pools! You can boat over to DTD. Or rent a bike and ride over to OKW. Learn to make ice cream by the pool on certain days of the week.
They have a bon-fire every night behind the arcade. Nightly movies at the pool. Which is a great time to do laundry if you are staying in a studio room. The laundry room is just a few feet away from the pool/movie area. I do our laundry while we hang out at the pool. The big laundry room has 4 washers and 8 dryers and there is a big table for sorting and folding. Takes me 1hour and 20 minutes to wash and dry a total of 3 loads of laundry! I like doing laundry on our last night at Disney while we relax in the hot tub and I can pack clean clothes to take home and not have to worry about doing all that laundry one load at a time when I get home when I can wash 3 loads all at the same time at Disney!

This trip I have requested 'near Downtown Disney' because I know we are more likely to walk to Downtown Disney multiple times than to walk to the pools, but we are for sure going to explore everywhere. Do you know how long it would take to walk to Downtown Disney if we requested Carraige House vs. Near Downtown Disney?

If you stay at the Carriage House, you will likely just want to take the boat to Downtown Disney, as I would guess the walk would be 30+ minutes.

If you stay at Congress Park, you're right next door to DTD and can be there in 5-10 min. We stayed in the Paddock section right next to the pool, and my walk was about 20 or so minutes.

Maddysdaddy said:
If you stay at the Carriage House, you will likely just want to take the boat to Downtown Disney, as I would guess the walk would be 30+ minutes.

If you stay at Congress Park, you're right next door to DTD and can be there in 5-10 min. We stayed in the Paddock section right next to the pool, and my walk was about 20 or so minutes.

Thanks so much for this info!

Sent from my phone using DISBoards Ap, please excuse any typos and autocorrect mistakes.

I just finished a stay at SSR and loved it. I was nervous too because it always seems to be the red-headed stepchild no one loves... We stayed in the Paddock which was a great location but not close to the DTD pathway.

We bought OKW without staying there but we had walked around the resort before we decided on OKW (over SSR)... After this stay I am maybe rethinking that decision.

holula said:
I just finished a stay at SSR and loved it. I was nervous too because it always seems to be the red-headed stepchild no one loves... We stayed in the Paddock which was a great location but not close to the DTD pathway.

We bought OKW without staying there but we had walked around the resort before we decided on OKW (over SSR)... After this stay I am maybe rethinking that decision.

So glad to hear you loved your stay! Everything I read makes SSR sound so HUGE, I can't wait to see it for myself. It boggles my mind that having a room in one part can put you at a 15-30 minute walk from another part of the resort. I will be definitely walking around with my stop watch (really, I'm not kidding!)

Sent from my phone using DISBoards Ap, please excuse any typos and autocorrect mistakes.

So we're less than 2 weeks away now!!:cool1: My husband and I have been planning and replanning and I think have finally settled on our tentative plan of attack. This could of course change at any moment, but our current plan for our 4 days is as follows:
Wednesday July 17th:
-Arrive late, get rental car, sleep at cheap hotel

Thursday July 18th:
-Redeem annual pass vouchers
-Check into SSR
-Morning Typhoon Lagoon
-2:40pm Le Cellier (Sooooo excited, never been able to get a reservation before!!!!)
-6:00-8:00pm Blizzard Beach

Friday July 19th:
-Morning Blizzard Beach
-Afternoon Animal Kingdom/SSR Resort
-Acquire things like sorcerers cards and pirate maps for Ultimate Tour
-6:00-8:00pm Typhoon Lagoon

Saturday July 20th:
- Ultimate Touring Plan Challenge Magic Kingdom!!!!
-Put new Go Walks to the test!

Sunday July 21st:
-BOG restaurant for Lunch
-Find characters and have them sign our T-Shirts we had made for the Ultimate Touring Plan Challenge
-Flight departs 6:30pm

My son is still too little to enjoy the water parks, so we are taking advantage of our time without him and our PAPs to go enjoy the parks. Our form of 'enjoying' the water parks is to ride all the water slides and leave. We don't hang out in the sun, lounging in the chairs, so 1-2 hours at each park, each day should be more than enough time for us to get everything done. I know the crowds will be light in the morning, but I'm hoping they die down for our evening trips too. Anyone been at 6pm before? Are the crowds light?

I was also able to talk my husband into doing the Utlimate Touring Plan challenge which I am very very excited about. Very very very excited about. It took a lot of convincing, but once I described it as a giant scavenger hunt he was hooked. We got T-Shirts made. On the front they say "Por favor, mantengase alejado de los turistas verdaderos", which roughly translates too "Please stand clear of the ultimate tourists". On the back is a list of all the major attractions with check boxes so we can check them off as we accomplish them. On Sunday we will return to the parks and have characters sign our shirts. Should be pretty awesome. Now if I can only survive the next week and a half of work....

We also bought SSR sight unseen for all the reasons you did. Loved our stay there. We have stayed at all the WDW DVC except BLT. SSR, OKW and VWL are our favorites. Your trip sounds great. DH and I have done two adults only trips and loved them. Have a great time and please post how your ultimate MK tour goes.

We also bought SSR sight unseen for all the reasons you did. Loved our stay there. We have stayed at all the WDW DVC except BLT. SSR, OKW and VWL are our favorites. Your trip sounds great. DH and I have done two adults only trips and loved them. Have a great time and please post how your ultimate MK tour goes.

Thanks for the well wishes! I will absolutely be updating about the Ultimate Tour.

On another note our plan set a few days ago has already changed. Yesterday, there was all of a sudden a humungous glut of BOG restaurant reservations available for every day for the remainder of July. Rumor has it they opened up the third dining room. I snatched up a 6:25pm reservation for both Thursday the 18th and Friday the 19th thinking to discuss with Grizzly which one we should keep. Well we decided to keep both!!! :banana: I'll cancel our Le Cellier reservation :(. We don't really have it in our budget for 2 sit down meals, so one night we will get a drink, appetizers, and dessert and the other visit we will get main courses. I really hope we get seated in different parts of the castle each night. Does anybody know, can I request a certain dining room?

Grizzly is beyond excited about these reservations. Beauty and the Beast is his favorite Disney movie. Come to think of it, I gave him a Beauty and the Beast animation cell as a wedding present. He has been talking about eating at BOG since it opened, and it was his one thing he wanted to do this trip. We are both thrilled that we don't have to camp out in the hot sun waiting for lunch on Sunday as well.

We also attempted to add a boat rental on Seven Seas Lagoon/Bay Lake to our vacation but were given the most complete and utter run around EVER. :furious: First stop, Disney's website which tells us to call WDW-PLAY to make a boat reservation. We call them, they say no no no, you need to call this other number for an external company that deals with boat reservations. We call the other companies and they say, no no no, you need to call the Marina directly to make a reservation. We call the marina directly and they say, no no no, boats are available on a first come first serve basis only. GRRRRRRRRRRRR. Not really a big deal, but the people at WDW-PLAY should be aware of this, or Disney should change it's website that specifically states you should make a reservation during busy times of year. We hope to get a first come first serve Boston Whaler boat to toodle around the Seven Seas lagoon and Bay Lake on Friday around 4pm before heading to dinner. Does anyone know which resort has the most boats available for rent? We were thinking we would go to Wilderness Lodge, but we could also stick to a monorail resort and then hop around the monorail until we find an available boat.

In other notes in my real life outside of Disney:
Today my klutzy side came out. It doesn't usually rear it's ugly head as Grizzly takes care of enough klutziness for both of us. I have a bad habit of playing with my engagement ring, and today I dropped it on the floor of my office. When I went to pick it up I ran over it with my office chair. :furious: The diamond flew out, but luckily was able to find it without too much searching. Of course I haven't gotten the thing inspected in years and years, so the original jeweler won't fix it for free. Sooooo, now I have an interesting first world problem that will take my mind off planning and re-planning our Disney getaway for a few days. Should I just get the diamond reset in the original setting (the setting doesn't look very damaged or anything) or should I have the diamond reset in something different that I pick out myself, and maybe add something too. Hmmm.....I'm very much not a jewelry person, or really very girly at all in any way, so we'll see how this ring fixing goes. [****UPDATE****Took my ring back to the jewelers we purchased it from. Turns out my husband had bought some sort of gold warranty and they completely covered fixing my ring. Yeah! Should be back to new by the 25th of July.]

wiigirl said:
Following along. :goodvibes

Welcome!

We got our Ultimate Tour shirts today. They are pretty awesome. I was planning to check off rides on the back of the shirt as we did them throughout the day, but now I'm thinking that may not be too practical since we will probably be very sweaty, and I wouldn't want the ink to run all over. Will probably wash the shirts first and check off all the attractions after the fact. Should be a pretty cool keepsake. Grizzly is a rather large beast and his shirt fits great so that's a relief. Only 3 more work days until our trip. They are looking like they will be terrible. And now is when I start to worry about getting sick.

The front: Please stand clear of the ultimate tourists. Sorry for the focus, I swear it wasn't taken with a potato.
kdXrg1u.jpg

The back: Contains a list of all available major attractions in the Magic Kingdom.
bHucuoG.jpg

We used CustomInk for these shirts. They guaranteed delivery by the 16th (15 days from order), and they arrived 4 days early. Based on the quality of the actual shirt, a nice moisture wicking Champion t shirt, and the quality of the printing I would totally use them again.

Hi. Joining and looking forward to more. Umm, we own SSR and have seen it once.

DH and I were a bit drunk leaving Epcot during F&W (kid free anniversary trip) and he wanted to buy a belt. We were staying at POFQ but the SSR bus came first in our "wisdom" we decided to run and get on that bus and go to DTD to shop from there instead if PIFQ. I could not even tell you what it looked like :) lol

We are staying in OUR points for the 1st time in 2 weeks at OKW and I think we'll go visit home to see what we bought. LOL we are easy to please and we're at Disney we are happy!

Can't wait to follow along and see if you complete the challenge!

catherines_mama said:
Hi. Joining and looking forward to more. Umm, we own SSR and have seen it once.

DH and I were a bit drunk leaving Epcot during F&W (kid free anniversary trip) and he wanted to buy a belt. We were staying at POFQ but the SSR bus came first in our "wisdom" we decided to run and get on that bus and go to DTD to shop from there instead if PIFQ. I could not even tell you what it looked like :) lol

We are staying in OUR points for the 1st time in 2 weeks at OKW and I think we'll go visit home to see what we bought. LOL we are easy to please and we're at Disney we are happy!

Can't wait to follow along and see if you complete the challenge!

So happy to have you following along. Your SSR story sounds much like our first and only trip to SSR. I hope you are pleasantly surprised when you visit.

We found out last week we passed ROFR on our SSR contracts. Before owning DVC I remember thinking I would never want to stay at SSR because it looked so snobby, and why would anyone not want to stay at the POP every trip. My opinion sure has changed, can't wait to check in. But like you, as long as I'm at Disney I'm happy. I'm pretty easy to please as long as there is a mouse nearby.

Following along. Can't wait to see how the Ultimate Touring Plan goes!

How do you show proof you accomplished everything to get in the Hall of Fame?

Your trip sounds great! Love the idea of your t-shirts, checking off the rides. We love SSR, having stayed in the treehouses. It is our home resort and we couldn't be happier. Have a fabulous time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter