We're back! Quick park observations

grinningghost

<font color=green>Has a thing for the Swiss Family
Had an excellent trip to the World! Here are some quick theme parks thoughts:

All parks except AK need some maintenance attention. Generally it's peeling paint, but there are some serious mildew issues in the Splash Mountain logs and on the monorails. Otherwise the parks were pretty clean and kept up.

Saw my first horribly dirty restroom at MK. In the restrooms in Tomorrowland, kind of across from the Speedway. Walked in and walked right out. They were filthy. Never saw that before. All the rest were pretty clean.

Crowds were heavy on the weekend, moderate during the week.

Early closing of MK is truly a bummer. Just when you're starting to have fun, it's time to pack up and go. :(

Fantasmic! really does fill up quick. We got there an hour and a half early and it's a good thing. The place was standing room only a full half hour before the show started.

Watching MK fireworks from the observation deck of the Contemporary was the best advice I got from these boards. They really do it right. They have the music piped in right on the deck, so you can really follow right along with the whole show.

Disney Quest is still sort of discombobulated. The lines are long and slow and it's so darned crowded with their "stacked" floor plan. I was much more impressed with the cheesecake.;)

Security bag checks are pretty quick, but really inconsistent. One guy would be really thorough, another guy would barely even look. Makes you wonder how safe you really are there.

ASMo was a great resort. Dalmation building was an ideal location.

Most CM's really still have the magic. Very friendly. But there are a few bad apples that have the potential of spoiling the whole bunch. I wish there was a way to make them disappear.;)

Buses were good overall, but there were a couple times where we waited a long, long time for a bus.

Smoking areas in the parks were kind of disgusting. Being a non-smoker, I guess I'm not being fair. But nothing was more tacky looking than walking along the path around the Castle and suddenly seeing a cloud of smoke and 30 people puffing away.:(

Chester and Hester's at AK is awful. Imagineering really dropped the ball on this one.

And finally, Mission Space left a strange impression on me. It was really thrilling and a bit frightening the first few seconds, then it kind of went the way of Star Tours - just another simulator. I guess I expected a bit more.:(

As I think of more, I'll post them.

Welcome back!!! Sounds like you had a great trip! Interesting take on Mission:Space. I'm enjoying hearing all the different reactions. Quick question.... When you viewed the fireworks from the Contemporary, did you eat at California Grill too? I thought I heard that they no longer let people go out onto the observation deck for the fireworks if they weren't dining in the restaurant. Thanks!

Nope. Didn't eat at California Grill, we had just finished dinner at the Concourse Steakhouse downstairs. As soon as the elevator reached the 15th floor, a worker from California Grill quickly asked us if we were there for dinner or fireworks, then gave us directions to the fireworks. No problem at all.:D

WELCOME BACK, GRINNINGGHOST!!

Glad you had such a great time...your observations are very interesting...sounds like the cut-backs are pretty noticeable...Knowing what you know now, would you do it all over again?

Thanks for sharing with us. :)

Originally posted by Nuts4Disney
WELCOME BACK, GRINNINGGHOST!!

Glad you had such a great time...your observations are very interesting...sounds like the cut-backs are pretty noticeable...Knowing what you know now, would you do it all over again?

Thanks for sharing with us. :)

I would absolutely 100% without a doubt do it again. And I will!:D Those were minor observations, but overall, it was Disney - just like it's always been.:D

Originally posted by grinningghost
I would absolutely 100% without a doubt do it again. And I will!:D Those were minor observations, but overall, it was Disney - just like it's always been.:D

Whew...Glad to hear it!!!!! :D

And glad you had such a good time! :)

Thanks for answering so quickly. :)

Thanks grinningghost! I get a little nervous reading some of the posts, but it sounds like you had a great trip. Its hard not to expect perfection from Disney because they are so good at it!:D

Michelle

And finally, Mission Space left a strange impression on me. It was really thrilling and a bit frightening the first few seconds, then it kind of went the way of Star Tours - just another simulator. I guess I expected a bit more.

I felt the exact same way about Mission Space. I even compared it to Star Tours in my trip report. Glad to read some realistic opinions that aren't overly critical or overly "Disneyfied". Thanks for the reviews!

Thanks for the info! Its always nice to hear about WDW.

I cant believe how stupid I am. I didnt know(or if I did, I forgot) you would be at ASMO! We were in the Mighty Ducks building to the right as you walk into the pool area. I wonder if we passed each other at any time.

I agree with security checks. Some barely looked in the bags and other made us take everything out, open all pockets, etc... It took until Thursday until one guy in our party was asked to open his fanny pack.

We too went to the Contemporary observation deck for the first time, but not for the fireworks. I thought it was totally amazing up there. Everyone should check it out if they have the chance. Was it crowded for the fireworks?

We just got back Sunday night and I agree with most of what you posted. The parks/bathrooms were really clean until Saturday of Labor Day weekend and then BOOM- it was as if they could not keep up with all the people. I hate to see trash on the ground NEAR a trash can-are people just looking to be jerks?? DH said they should start charging for the maps and then mabye we would not see as many on the ground:)

The monorails do smell very moldy. There is chipping paint on some rides. Some places need the paint to be re-touched. Noticed scratched names in many parts of the the outside que of Tower of Terror and some gum stuck to the walls. Do people want WDW to look like a 6 Flags? I just don't get this. I said to DH someone should be painting over the scratched names EVERY night and then maybe the rude people that do that will give up. It would take 10 minutes and a small amount of paint!

I did not notice any changes to The Great Movie Ride. Even the script seemed exactly the same. If they were re-furshibing it why did they leave the water warped/stained wall paper behind John Wayne?? OH! Speaking of The Great Movie Ride here is one for the shocked thread... DH and I were walking around outside looking at the hand and foot prints when we heard a crying baby. We noticed a little one (about 2) in a stroller in "stroller parking" facing the wall. There was a man near by but then he walked away. DH and I did not see anyone else around so we alerted a CM. Turns out the parents LEFT THE CHILD in the stroller and went on a ride!!! WOW.

CM's all were A+ this trip.

Saw some smoking outside of the smoking sections but not much. One CM yelled at a guy walking around with a cigerette in the MK and directed him to a smoking section. Most did not say anything if people were walking around with cigs. I was shocked some people did this in LARGE crowds with lots of kids like Fantasy in The Sky. Most of them were trying to hide the cig in their hand so they must have known it was a no no.

Heard a lot of shocked and angry comments about the stores closing early at MK (6pm in Adventureland, Liberty Square, etc..) Lots of drink/snack carts closing early too.

The Magic is still there and the CM's are trying SO HARD but when the crowds come in it is tough! We had an awsome time and will be back but some people are just dirty and ruin it for others.

Could you let me know when y'all went to DisneyQuest? We were thinking about going on a Friday afternoon in early Oct--hoping that time isn't as crowded....

Great review!!! We also noticed while we were there in July that Splash Mountain smelled like mildew and we also smelled that way when we got off the ride. I'm not sure if it was from the seats or where you put your hands or what. Hopefully they'll be doing something about that soon.

Watching MK fireworks from the observation deck of the Contemporary was the best advice I got from these boards. They really do it right. They have the music piped in right on the deck, so you can really follow right along with the whole show.

I too thought you could not do this anymore. More details, please!

Originally posted by grinningghost
Security bag checks are pretty quick, but really inconsistent. One guy would be really thorough, another guy would barely even look. Makes you wonder how safe you really are there.

Chester and Hester's at AK is awful. Imagineering really dropped the ball on this one.

I totally agree with the bag check thing. I found that if you walked up with all pockets open, security barely glanced at your bag. But if you wiated until you got to security to open your bag, they searched it thoroughly. Of course, that meant that most non-English speakers got searched (not a slam, but an observation).

I also agree with Chester and Hester's. Not to violate board rules, but I termed Chester and Hester's as an asphalt H-E-double hockey sticks! It is cheesy and VERY hot, especially in the dead of summer. I think (but I am not positive) I could tolerate it better with more shaded/comfortable areas. Unfortunately, DD22months LOVED Triceratops Spin. Fortunately DH rode that with her several times while I took DD4.5 years to the relative coolness of Dinasaur.

Glad to hear you had a great trip! I wonder if we passed by or talked to each other!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by doombuggy
I too thought you could not do this anymore. More details, please!

Bump!

WOW!!! I can not believe someone left their child and went on a ride!!!!:eek:
On a side note, it is funny to read this today... I had a dream 2 nights ago that Me DH and DS went on a ride and left my DD (2) with minnie mouse, and when we came back she was gone.....MINNE kidnapped my baby!!! LOL!!!!
:p :p :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter