WestJet Change/Cancel Issues

JB17

Earning My Ears
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has experience dealing with WestJet customer service.

We had purchased our tickets to Orlando back in November with a layover each way as it was a little cheaper (Saskatoon going down and Toronto on the return). In early March we phoned and decided to pay the change fees (about 350 total) to give ourselves direct flights as we wanted to limit our possible exposure points. Fast forward a couple of weeks, I was able to phone in and cancel our flights this past Sunday as we were to fly down this Friday. When I checked the travel bank today I noticed that the amount was significantly less than I paid ($1050 less to be exact). I phoned today and was told nothing could be done as the flights we changed to were $700 less than our original price.

So I paid $350 for the privilege of getting something worth $700 less than what I originally paid. I went online to see what flights would look like in October and they are back to the original price so I would have to pay more money for the family to go down to Orlando. I am so frustrated. Any thoughts?

Thanks for posting about your situation and the outcome.
I was going to suggest FB, Twitter or another social platform.
Good to know they took care of you during this time.
The airline stocks are tanking and I am sure they are all very worried about their long term finacial future so any negative press right now is something I am sure they are trying to avoid

We booked our direct Edmonton/Orlando August flights through Swoop, the Westjet subsidiary. For those of you who don't know, Swoop is allowing all customers to add "Modifly" to all bookings at no charge (Modifly allows travellers to make one change to bookings, free of charge). We've added it to our August tickets, just in case. Easy to do, just go to the Swoop website and click where indicated.

I'm really looking forward to our flights, but I am bothered by the fact there is only one weekly trip in each direction, on Saturday. If (for example) we get to the Edmonton airport and discover our flight is cancelled because of mechanical breakdown, I wonder if Swoop has contingency plans which will get us to Orlando on the same day. Obviously, waiting a week for the next Swoop flight isn't an acceptable solution.

I'm really looking forward to our flights, but I am bothered by the fact there is only one weekly trip in each direction, on Saturday. If (for example) we get to the Edmonton airport and discover our flight is cancelled because of mechanical breakdown, I wonder if Swoop has contingency plans which will get us to Orlando on the same day. Obviously, waiting a week for the next Swoop flight isn't an acceptable solution.
Unfortunately they do not, nor are they required to offer you anything other than on the next AVAILABLE flight which might not even be the following week.

If there is any possible way to just cancel your flight and get the funds back this might be the prudent thing to do as it is not currently possible to predict the future of a few things
1. virus
2. Airline Company's solvency
3. Job solvency /family commitments
4. Disney / Universal being operational.

Best wishes.

Mel

If there is any possible way to just cancel your flight and get the funds back this might be the prudent thing to do as it is not currently possible to predict the future of a few things
1. virus
2. Airline Company's solvency
3. Job solvency /family commitments
4. Disney / Universal being operational.

Best wishes.

Mel
YES, this would be our thoughts as well. Even if things to get back to whatever the new normal is, (and we're expecting this to happen until early summer!!) we want to have access to our $$$ . A trip will be on the back burner until things are settled.

This is surreal and unsettling and adulting is hard for me :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter