• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Are The Must Have Items For Dorm Living

PigSoldier said:
I remember I was very popular on my first day, because I was the only one in my corridor who'd bought coffee, milk, and food (mostly cookies and cupcakes :rolleyes: ) with me. I have everybody crowding in my room to have a drink and something to eat, and it was a fantastic way to meet everyone! So it might be a good idea for him to have something edible with him on his first day :)

What a Great Idea, thanks we will do that!!!!

Great Ideas and thanks to everyone, it's nice to get info from the experts!

Wait on the electrical stuff!!! Don't buy it until you have the wattage amounts and such. Also, do research on what supplies the college requires for your computers. A lot of my friends needed firewires so they could hook up to the internet(and unfortunately most had no idea what they were). Storage containers, hooks, and stuff like that is priceless when it comes to organization. Febreeze. I am not a college expert, but I have done my fair share of dorm rooms and the likes for school programs. Kleenexes, medicines, THERMOMETERS, cough drops, and all that kind of stuff are a must. Having locking boxes that you can attach to things aren't a bad idea either. You may think you can trust people, but when it comes to your really valuable stuff, don't be so sure.

All college freshmen who live in dorms should be vaccinated for meningitis. Not worth taking a chance!

Check with intended college first, I know here at EC we couldn't have more than one Fridge, or an electric teapot or mug warmer, micro fridge, etc.

Two sets of clean bedding=IMPORTANT! If you give him an extra set, he won't have any excuse not to wash the first set...and I know PLENTY of boys who use that excuse.

Bounce Laundry sheets...they can stick those anywhere, musty closets, to freshen drawers, gym bags, smelly shoes...Febreeze is a MUST, and Glade Plug Ins work too.

Quarters or Laundry Cards

Cordless phone! I tried a corded, because my mom insisted that there would be cordless phone interference, but this was not a problem. Also, a cell phone is a NECESSITY. Try to get on a family plan if you aren't already. Your son will need a way to contact you if there is an emergency.

First Aid Kit.

Earplugs. Trust me on this one. Even if his roomie is quiet, the person next to him (or above him, or across the hall, for that matter) won't be.

Black curtains/light blocking window shades. Not all colleges provide window covers.

Mousetraps. Again, trust me.

Tupperware, to put food in, to prevent ever using the mousetraps.

Flip Flops. A College Necessity for the showers!

A good alarm clock. The best one I've had is the Sony Psyc CD Alarm clock, about $40 at Target. Not a loud ring, but a good penetrating beeping one. I sleep through a lot of alarm clocks, but not this one.

Shelves/Bookcase. I am so happy my mom made me buy one two years ago! It gets a lot of use...dvds/vhs tapes, school books, extra paper, my printer, TV and DVD player, and stereo and speakers all go on my bookshelf!

Posters! The dorm walls are usually very dull and induce boredom and depression.

An IPOD. Just because :smooth:

A desk calendar and a small agenda that he can put EVERYTHING in...phone numbers and addresses, special events, homework, etc. He won't ever forget anything.

A booklight and desk lamp. Roommates end up having different schedules, and while his roomie might be sleeping, he may still have reading/homework that needs to be done. Booklights are excellent for this!

Flashlight, in case of an emergency.

A debit card/checking account. So important if he wont have a work/study job! He's bound to want cash for something *cough*Pizza*cough*

A Nalgene Sport Waterbottle--if he doesn't already have one, these are GREAT! Virtually unbreakable, and everyone at college has one. You can put any beverage in one, except maybe coffee...I haven't seen that attempted yet.

A fan. Even if the dorm has an AC system, dorm rooms are still kept uncomfortably warm in the winter. My roommate and I have ours going 24/7!

princessm12 said:
Black curtains/light blocking window shades. Not all colleges provide window covers.

or tinfoil if you're a real hermit... i tinfoil my bedroom windows so i can take good naps during the day.

I like the fan idea. When they say the dorms have A/C. 90% of the time it will never work. It gets hot, smelly, and uncomfortable to sleep and keeping the windows open DURING a nasty storm will only ease the heat, having water pouring through the window, yeah...not recommended.

Storage containers that fit under a bed, as well as a container that locks, for things that you don't want walking away. I had a small fan that clipped on my bed that was great, since the AC never seemed to do much. :flower:

PigSoldier said:
I remember I was very popular on my first day, because I was the only one in my corridor who'd bought coffee, milk, and food (mostly cookies and cupcakes :rolleyes: ) with me. I have everybody crowding in my room to have a drink and something to eat, and it was a fantastic way to meet everyone! So it might be a good idea for him to have something edible with him on his first day :)

I totally reccomend this! I brought candy and even left a note on the whiteboard of my door that i had candy inside. I think everyone on my floor came by atleast once to get candy. Also i think that (atleast here) someone's room becomes the "movie room", so I really reccomend brinig a DVD player and DVDs. Its a nice break from TV once and awhile, espcially the nights you can't sleep because you drank to much coffee.

One thing that I have found that I cannot live without is a vacum. Dorm rooms get dirty and I really try to keep on top of it and my vacum helps emensly. You are going to need lots of school supplies like paper pens, things like that. Check to see if your school uses normal twin beds or the extra long twin beds and buy sheets accordingly. Bring at least two set with you so you can wash one and still have sheets on your bed. You might want a folding chair or soething that is compact for extra seting for guests and remember buy things that you feel show who you are. :badpc:

*Dictionary/Thesaurus: Something really useful was buying a dictionary at Sam's (they're pretty cheap) that came with a dictionary/thesaurus CD-ROM; the thesaurus especially is priceless when writing essays and convenient since it's on the computer.

*Duct tape--I agree with that one 100%! We even use it for our fall/spring ladybug infestations since you're not supposed to squash them and we don't want to walk down four flights of stairs to let the little buggers free...just wrap them up and discard. :teeth:

And of course lots of unique decorations for the room! I have a cow pencil holder (with googly eyes, tail, and all) that puts a little fun onto a homework-covered desk--stuff like that is the best!

Hey y'all, I'm new here, and one thing that my dorm room can't be without is my Bobby Valentino poster . I also totally LOVE Mariah Carey. I need music to keep me from going insane when I feel like tearing my hair out. I can't wait for Bobby's and Mariah Carey's CD to come out in April!! :cool1: :mickeybar :bounce:

These ideas/suggestions are great, especially since I will be starting college in July down at the Art Institute of Colorado. I luckily enough will have an apartment sponsered by the school. :) Full kitchen/full bathroom and a roommate TBA. :) I've been shopping the clearance isles at Target for fun little things to take. Like yesterday I got a coupon holder, magnets, and sticky notes from the dollar section. And I found some cool Muppet coasters somewhere. :) Plus on my trip last week to Disney I got some disney picture frames/photo albums. :) and my La Nouba poster.

Kirsten

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter