• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What can I do with Disney Rewards?

1st_trip_10/05

Earning My Ears
We’ve accumulated over $3,000 in Disney Rewards from our Visa card and have no intention of going to WDW. As a family of 7 it’s no longer affordable, even with the redemption card. Any ideas what else I can use this on? Thought Vero Beach or Hilton Head but impossible to get reservations. eBay frees take too much and leery of selling on Facebook marketplace.

I believe there is an option to apply them to travel awards so they can offset airfare.
unfortunately not with the type of card I had and I already transferred to reward card. Once you transfer you can’t apply to airfare. Found that out too late. 😩

You should be able to buy gift cards from Shop Disney. Do you know anyone planning a Disney vacation -- relative, co-worker, neighbor, etc. who would buy the gift cards from you?

I haven't done it but I think there's often an offer to use rewards to buy movie tickets.

You should be able to buy gift cards from Shop Disney. Do you know anyone planning a Disney vacation -- relative, co-worker, neighbor, etc. who would buy the gift cards from you?

I haven't done it but I think there's often an offer to use rewards to buy movie tickets.
You can use them at AMC theatre to buy Disney movie tickets.

Family of six here, I feel your pain lol
A bulk of the price for a Disney vacay are the tickets, especially for seven…can you do resort-only? I say this because you mentioned Vero Beach and Hilton Head….We just got back from a three-night resort-only trip we took our youngest son (9) on at the Yacht Club…just did pools, mini golf, cirque show, ate, and did every form of free Disney transportation except a Minnie van lol, no parks, he had a great time!
We have taken many resort-only vacations at Fort Wilderness campground when we had our camper..but you could rent a camper ( can’t use the rewards for the camper rental, so would have to pay for that..about $1,500 for a week for something you could all fit in) and then use the rewards for the site rental (approx $1,500/week, could be less depending on time of year) and the rest on food, golf cart rental, and/or things like mini golf, what previous poster said about movie tickets…during COVID times when there were no fireworks happening, we camped there and took our projector screen and streamed Happily Ever After on our screen outside and bought a bunch of desserts from Disney Springs from the various places there and had our own dessert party lol great memory. Now you can watch the fireworks from the beach. There are lots of free or low cost things to do around the resorts.
If you don’t want to do that, I would probably use them to buy Disney gift cards like someone said if that is allowed before the rewards expire…that way you would have them forever.

Depending on the time of year, you could get 2 value adjoining rooms for 4 nights Sun-Thursday for 550.00 a room. This would give you 4 queen beds. Daily waterpark tickets are around 70.00 a day. There are a lot of things to do at Disney without visiting a park if you think your family could be at Disney without going into a park. The boards have a lot of budget suggestions of things to do and ways to save on food.

Go to Disneyland.

Go on a Disney Cruise.

Use it for a resort only stay.

Go to Aulani.

There are tons of options besides just WDW.

You are going to have to use it on Disney one way or another since you already transferred the funds to the redemption card. $3000 is a large chunk of the cost of a Disney trip somewhere.

Leave the kids at home and take your spouse on an adults only trip.

Go to Disneyland.

Go on a Disney Cruise.

Use it for a resort only stay.

Go to Aulani.

There are tons of options besides just WDW.

You are going to have to use it on Disney one way or another since you already transferred the funds to the redemption card. $3000 is a large chunk of the cost of a Disney trip somewhere.

Leave the kids at home and take your spouse on an adults only trip.
I like this idea :flower1:

I certainly hope you have stopped using that card and started using one with more flexible rewards (like cash back?)
Yes, I have. And it wasn't our main card. Just one I used for online purchases so I could keep a low limit on it. Most of the accumulated reward dollars is from before our last trip in 2019. We rented DVC points and weren't able to use all our rewards.

I actually see gift cards for sale on eBay. Was thinking I could break the $3.000 up into 6 $500 cards and sell them there. My husband doesn't want me to sell locally on Facebook for safety reasons. Ugh! What a problem to have. LOL!

Family of six here, I feel your pain lol
A bulk of the price for a Disney vacay are the tickets, especially for seven…can you do resort-only? I say this because you mentioned Vero Beach and Hilton Head….We just got back from a three-night resort-only trip we took our youngest son (9) on at the Yacht Club…just did pools, mini golf, cirque show, ate, and did every form of free Disney transportation except a Minnie van lol, no parks, he had a great time!
We have taken many resort-only vacations at Fort Wilderness campground when we had our camper..but you could rent a camper ( can’t use the rewards for the camper rental, so would have to pay for that..about $1,500 for a week for something you could all fit in) and then use the rewards for the site rental (approx $1,500/week, could be less depending on time of year) and the rest on food, golf cart rental, and/or things like mini golf, what previous poster said about movie tickets…during COVID times when there were no fireworks happening, we camped there and took our projector screen and streamed Happily Ever After on our screen outside and bought a bunch of desserts from Disney Springs from the various places there and had our own dessert party lol great memory. Now you can watch the fireworks from the beach. There are lots of free or low cost things to do around the resorts.
If you don’t want to do that, I would probably use them to buy Disney gift cards like someone said if that is allowed before the rewards expire…that way you would have them forever.
I thought of resort only and looked into it but room rates are still insane for a room that'd hold all of us. Then there's airfare and food. I feel like we'd be spending a whole lot just to spend $3,000 which doesn't get you much at WDW. My husband is.....let's say picky.....and will only stay at monorail resort. We have a daughter in a wheelchair so it is a bit easier for us.
The rewards aren't supposed to ever expire. But it's also not unheard of for a corporation to suddenly change a rule like that and suddenly gift cards aren't worth anything.

The rewards aren't supposed to ever expire.
Disney Rewards left on the Chase card account DO expire 5 years after they are earned. Rewards that are transferred to a Rewards Redemption Card do not expire. It is an important distinction. (Originally the Redemption Cards did have an expiration date 1-2 years after the card was obtained).

But buying Disney gift cards also don't expire and are easier to "share" (technically the Rewards cannot be shared or sold).

I thought of resort only and looked into it but room rates are still insane for a room that'd hold all of us. Then there's airfare and food. I feel like we'd be spending a whole lot just to spend $3,000 which doesn't get you much at WDW. My husband is.....let's say picky.....and will only stay at monorail resort. We have a daughter in a wheelchair so it is a bit easier for us.
The rewards aren't supposed to ever expire. But it's also not unheard of for a corporation to suddenly change a rule like that and suddenly gift cards aren't worth anything.
Just helping you brainstorm here…Try what another poster said and price out DCL, just a three night? There is a three night repositioning cruise from Fort Lauderdale to San Juan on the Magic in November 2024, I believe, (don’t know where you are flying from) that is relatively cheap for DCL. The repo cruises are usually cheaper, if you can get the flying logistics to work. I have also taken a four-night on the Wonder out of San Diego in January for two people in an inside for $1000 with a gty rate. Don’t know where you are coming from, so flying does cost a lot, especially for seven! We usually drive when all of us go to Florida, but we live where it is drivable. And for cruising, you want to come in a day before the cruise just in case, so there’s lodging the night before to consider…And the 3000 won’t cover the whole cost of a cruise, just a portion, not sure how much more you’re willing to kick in. Hhmmm

Maybe use it for a weekend away for just you and spouse if you’re willing to… a 3 night cruise or a WDW resort! With $3,000 you could do 2-3 nights club level deluxe resort and just hang by the pool or you could do a longer resort only stay with the whole family at a value or moderate.

You can also use this card to get AMC movie tickets online and at the online Disney store. I know $3000 is a lot, but if I wasn’t planning to travel with the rewards, I would plan on covering some Christmas shopping and trips to the movies. Movie tickets x 7 do add up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter