What drama have you witnessed at a wedding/funeral?

You have never been to a wedding in your entire life? How is that even possible! I went to my first wedding when I was 4! In my 20's we were going to countless weddings every single year! Its a rare year that we don't attend at least 1 wedding!
I feel like that was covered in some thread a year or two ago..it's vaguely coming to mind (I'm too lazy to go searching).

We went to a wedding for my husband's coworker a few years ago (we were good friends with them) and the venue does their own catering (as opposed to having a separate company do it) mixed up the chicken and the seafood. They swapped how many orders they would do for seafood for the chicken. This meant more than 3/4ths of the guests had no food and for whatever reason they didn't figure this out until they started serving the food and enough people had said "I ordered the chicken". To compensate they gave each table a bottle of champagne...it didn't work as a comparable compensation truly. We sat there picking off of the vegetables and what salad you got from the plates. They did not have a traditional cake but instead did cupcakes.

This couple is normally a "everything must be perfect" couple very sweet but def. more picky than my husband and I are. I say this because it was not the kind of thing they wanted to have their wedding remembered for. It was also in June with the ceremony outside..hot and humid and hunger don't go well together. This wedding also did not have much dancing at all. The couple is still married, cute as ever together, but that's def. one of the biggest oops I've seen (been to a wedding where food has run out with a buffet but not that big of a mixup).

Hey, I wish I hadn't been to any weddings - every one I've ever been to has been pretty boring, except for the reare, non-traditional type. I dread them, but fortunately haven't had to go to many. I'm a guy though, so my general attitude is that I'm good not being invited. Sometimes I think people get married just so they can ruin everyone they know's Saturday. ::yes::

I totally agree with you 100%!!

I am NOT a wedding person!! I know most ladies love weddings, but I am not one of them!! Except for hopefully attending my own kids wedding some day, I would die happy if I didnt have to attend another wedding, EVER!!

My saving grace now is that, I finally aged out of being in other peoples weddings, except for the first few weddings that I was in and enjoyed, it got old fast.

Earthquake at the funeral.

Friends wedding, DH was best man. I was just his plus one due to being massively pregnant. Rehersal dinner was a blast. Wedding day, things were delayed. DH sent me to find out what the heck was going on. Bride wouldn't come out and was in full meltdown mode due to the officiant not being what she wanted. Wanted everything to be perfect. Her bridemaids couldn't talk to her. So I told her just focus on the marriage and have fun, not what's wrong with today. I ran back to the Groom/boys. Told them what's going on. DH got Groom/boys a round of drinks and talked about good times. Family went to the bride. Got her out. The energy and vibe from the rehersal were gone at wedding and the reception. Just about everyone left early. Sadly their marriage didn't last.

High school friend married her high school sweetheart. They had a big wedding and I was in it. When the groom was to repeat the vows. He broke down and cried and it was an ugly cry. They finally kissed and pronounced husband and wife....he filed for divorce less than a year later.

funeral-

the 20 something son of a very prominent member of the political community died due to an accident. he was honestly one of the worst human beings i've ever encountered in my life (and i've met some very bad people). he was incredibly intelligent and felt it was his right and joy in life to make other's lives miserable and he actively pursued it with pride and glee. that said-dh and i went to the funeral b/c dh had been friends with him when he was younger/had friends that still managed to maintain a friendship with the guy so we went in support of them.

during the service the rabbi asks if people would like to say something about the deceased. person after person who wanted to look good in the eyes of all the political types and had likely never met him make these glowing statements about the young man's character, supposed conversations they had with him, what a wonderful, caring person he was....then the oldest brother goes up to give a speech. he thanks everyone for coming and then says 'to those of you who shared such wonderful and positive remarks about my brother, i thank you on my parent's behalf-perhaps it will bring them some peace because the attributes you have mentioned were none that my brother every chose to share or demonstrate to his family or friends during the course of his entire life' :eek: ::yes:::thumbsup2

You have never been to a wedding in your entire life? How is that even possible! I went to my first wedding when I was 4! In my 20's we were going to countless weddings every single year! Its a rare year that we don't attend at least 1 wedding!
You have to have a circle of friends or a large/close family for there to be weddings to attend. Neither of which I have. The only family I have that got married were my 2 cousins and I honestly don’t even know that I was invited, I know I didn’t attend. But I also had young children at the time, so that could be why.

My sister went to a wedding in the 80s that turned into a free-for-all at the reception. I'm not exactly clear on what started it, but it had something to do with the beer that the couple paid for in advance running out or something. Apparently it turned into a wild west type saloon fight and my sister had to pull her husband off someone that he was fighting with. I do know that it was the end of the reception at this point and everyone got kicked out of the hall.

My grandmother’s visitation. My mother’s sister had recently remarried and her husband went up to my mother and said she had nerve to be crying, she didn’t do anything for my grandmother. Which was totally the opposite of the truth. That really upset my mom. My bet is her sister was telling him she did all the work, which wasn’t true. It was a mess. Her sister ended up divorcing him shortly after (long story, mistake to marry him). My dad had died a few months before and he told my brothers that they couldn’t be pall bearers, it’s not proper. My brothers didn’t do it and they regretted it. It was none of his business.

I was in Libya on business and a client invited me to his niece’s wedding. Fine I thought, keep the client happy, might be interesting to experience. In my mind I have maybe an hour or so in a mosque followed by a celebration. Well this wedding went on for days. There were many parts to it. Driving through the streets firing shotguns in the air, pretending to try to kidnap the bride etc. After the ceremony, which took place in the courtyard of someone’s home, the bride and groom went into a room, ‘guarded’ by a man with a shotgun. and we all stood around. After about an hour, I was aware of some angst in the room, lots of muttering etc. Eventually, I asked my client what was happening and he told me that people were getting anxious as it was taking so long for the marriage to be consummated. I remember thinking, ‘I am really not paid enough for this!’. Anyway, the ‘guard’ kept sticking his head into the room where the ‘act’ was taking place and eventually he fired the shotgun, and the groom marched out, waving a suitably ‘stained’ sheet. I was told that if there is no stain, the groom can keep the bride for one month and then return her to her parents. If couples choose to consummate the marriage in private, then it is assumed that the bride is not a virgin and this brings great shame to her family. This was many years ago, so hopefully things have changed now.

I was in Libya on business and a client invited me to his niece’s wedding. Fine I thought, keep the client happy, might be interesting to experience. In my mind I have maybe an hour or so in a mosque followed by a celebration. Well this wedding went on for days. There were many parts to it. Driving through the streets firing shotguns in the air, pretending to try to kidnap the bride etc. After the ceremony, which took place in the courtyard of someone’s home, the bride and groom went into a room, ‘guarded’ by a man with a shotgun. and we all stood around. After about an hour, I was aware of some angst in the room, lots of muttering etc. Eventually, I asked my client what was happening and he told me that people were getting anxious as it was taking so long for the marriage to be consummated. I remember thinking, ‘I am really not paid enough for this!’. Anyway, the ‘guard’ kept sticking his head into the room where the ‘act’ was taking place and eventually he fired the shotgun, and the groom marched out, waving a suitably ‘stained’ sheet. I was told that if there is no stain, the groom can keep the bride for one month and then return her to her parents. If couples choose to consummate the marriage in private, then it is assumed that the bride is not a virgin and this brings great shame to her family. This was many years ago, so hopefully things have changed now.

I recently read something about this. It’s still happening.

Before my brother got married, I was still single, he told me "at every wedding there is someone who gets sloppy drunk. Don't let that be you." So who got sloppy drunk at his wedding? The bride.

I remember that comment, though, at every wedding. At DH's niece's wedding, it was the mother of the groom who was doing shots and got blotto.

At a funeral, and I didn't see but heard after the fact. And not real drama but a comedic error. It was my mother's funeral. DH, our adult son, son-in-law, nephew, were all pall bearers. The young men were all 26 and this was their first pall bearer experience. My poor son apparently wasn't watching where he was going and walked into a pole. No other problem occured.

I got stuck going to a coworker's wedding. She invited a lot of people who declined, so the management showed up where her "friends" didn't.

The day of the rehearsal, she worked. The groom told her that they had to stop at the attorney's office for her to sign a prenup. They hadn't discussed it before that day. He owned a $30,000 house and he wasn't about to lose it if they got divorced. (Yes, a $30k house is all that you'd expect it to be.) She signed it without counsel.

At the wedding, the groom had an usherette. She was his best girl friend. (We thought you married that friend.) The bride was pregnant, so after the toast, the usherette picked up her toasting flute and drank from it the rest of the night since the bride couldn't. When my bosses' wife went to the ladies' room, the usherette came in while she was in the stall. She is telling her friend that she didn't care that he was married, she'd still (expletive) him when she wanted.

We were taking bets at the table on how long this would last. It lasted for 2 years.

Instead of owning up to child support, he quit his job so he'd have no income. He found another woman who would support him in his $30,000 palace.

Luckily, she found a good man after that who adopted her DD, so she never has to see him again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter