What DVC Resort Do Kids LOVE

t-beri

Feels Alice is vastly under represented and LOVED
Looking into DVC and wondering what you're kid's oppinions are. While Disney is Kid central I know from experience that kids tend to gravitate toward the same things. We stayed at the cabins, CBR, the Poly, but the Kids LOVED CSR. So what's the fave resort of DVC kids?
...t.

t-beri said:
So what's the fave resort of DVC kids?

Depends on the ages and likes of the kids, of course. :)

I just wanted to toss out the thought that what resort the kids like best is probably not the best way to look at DVC. You are looking at a purchase for 35-50 years of use...how many of those will be impacted by what resort the kids like the most?

Pick the one YOU (and your spouse if applicable) like the most. Trust me, the kids will be happy at any of the resorts as they are all kid-friendly and have many amenities and activities to interest the children.

Yeah, we've been to OKW and at first I thought wow Lily would love that sandcastle slide then thought oh, it doesn't compare to the CSR slide, Gavin would probably think it's lame.

I think that kids is the best way for my family to think. We have a 9 yo and a 2 yo and plan on adding on next year and possibly again 2-3 yrs after that. So we'll have kids for a large so I'll possibly have kids under the age of 18 until 2029 at which time my eldest is likely to have children as he'll be 30. We are very family oriented people.

I know Dis resorts but not enough about individual dvc resorts, brochures only do so much. Not being a dvc member I have only stayed at OKW.
I always thought I'd love to go the the GF, till I got there and thought I'd go nuts chasing after my toddler when you can hear a pin drop in that place! Know what I'm sayin' SO if there is a dvc resort that the kids are like, this pool sucks, it's something I need to know.

ignore the fact that I completely changed ideas midsentence-:rolleyes1

Oh my gosh!! DD has never said that any resort "sucks".:sad2: First of all, that word is NOT allowed at my house, and second of all, she has loved all of our stays at WLV, BCV, SSR and OKW, each for many different reasons. I would say that she would say her favorite slide for quickness is BCV (but she doesn't like the stair climb!) and her second favorite slide would probably be OKW, followed by SSR, then WLV. She is 9 and is pretty appreciative of all of the resorts. (as am I:love: ) Hope this helps!

Laura

Oh, no, my son would never say that, but you can tell when he's thinking it- he's a kid. I thought that bwv probably has the best slide.
...t.

I'd say that the main pool at BCV (Stormalong Bay) probably has the best slide. BWV has an excellent one too.

If you are looking at it from the childrens' view, then I'd probably go with BCV. It has the best pool on property that many consider to be a mini water park. I've never heard any kid call it lame.

Some parents don't like the fact that SAB is so spread out and it is hard to watch children as the go to the various parts of the pool.

Here's a link to a lot of great SAB pictures. Show those to your kids and you won't have any choice as to where to buy!! :rotfl: Tagrel's Stormalong Bay Slide Show

As you can see by my screen name, I have 3 kids---now ages 4.5, 6, and 8 and we have been staying at DVC resorts with them for 3-4 years, so we have been staying at DVC with kids ranging in age from 1 - 8. My kids are slide fanatics and have quite a little ranking system for pools, resorts, and then slides get their own category.... :rotfl: :rotfl2: They will be total disers as soon as they are old enough!:lmao: And the 8 year old is more of a Disney expert than most of us here on the Dis!

Anyway, they love the SLIDE at BWV best, though not the pool. They like both SAB at BCV and SSR pool better. As a parent, though, realize that it is tough to watch your kids at SAB. However, the 2 year old will love the zero entry area at SSR pool.

They like OKW, as they like all of the resorts and pools, but it is last on their list currently (we have not yet stayed in VWL).

So, here are their rankings in each category:

POOL:

SSR
SAB/BCV
BWV
OKW

SLIDE:

BWV
SSR
SAB
OKW

RESORT:

They base this category on (funny enough) many of the same things we adults do....how easy it is to get to the main pool/restaurant, the inside of the villas, and what other "stuff" there is to do there. These ranked:

SSR (note--we have always been in the Springs in the building closest to the main pool, so we are really close to AP and the pool).
BWV (they loved to watch the entertainers on a cool evening after the park)
BCV
OKW

And then there is the food category--which they haven't officially ranked yet, but I know where they are--

BCV (Character meal right in your resort, plus Beaches & Cream, and they love the clam bake, and you can get several CS meals at the poolside bar and grill, Hurricane Hannahs. BCV gets a perfect score in terms of food!)
SSR (AP is great)
OKW (they love the conch fritters!)
BWV (No counter service at the actual resort and little-to-no food at the pool side bar)

So, there are the opinions of my 3 Disney kids! Hope this helps!

BTW, when giving their all around favorite rankings, it looks like this:

SSR/BCV tie
BWV
OKW

My 10 & 6 yr old spend way to much time rewatch "Great Hotels" stored on the Tivo. The youngest has a BCV fixation and the oldest GF/AKL. Well they have been told very hard to get into BCV, but we will try and AKV not until the construction is finished. And no I am not using points at the GF, so forget about it.

I'd say that the main pool at BCV (Stormalong Bay) probably has the best slide. BWV has an excellent one too.

If you are looking at it from the childrens' view, then I'd probably go with BCV. It has the best pool on property that many consider to be a mini water park. I've never heard any kid call it lame.

Some parents don't like the fact that SAB is so spread out and it is hard to watch children as the go to the various parts of the pool.

Here's a link to a lot of great SAB pictures. Show those to your kids and you won't have any choice as to where to buy!! :rotfl: Tagrel's Stormalong Bay Slide Show

I have to say that SAB is probably the best pool... and the kids and adults alike absolutely love it, but Vero Beach and Hilton Head have the best programs for teens and children. They are just locked in to what they like and enjoy. IMHO.

Hands down, my boys prefer SSR.

They like the Community Hall, the pool, AP and taking the boat to DisneyQuest and Bongo's for empanadas.

BCV is my second favorite, but there is not as much for them to do there outside of SAB, and SAB closes early most days, most seasons. I just had a friend return and he said they didnt swim 1 day at SAB because it closed at 8pm and by time they returned from the parks it was closed. Most resort pools stay open til 10pm, I know SSR does and after that, you can still enjoy the pool, fountains and zero entry, just not the slide. At SAB the entire complex closes.

If we set aside a day to swim, we prefer to go to a waterpark.

My kids are 6 & 2 and have quite a few DVC trips under their belts. They enjoy ALL the resorts. There is something unique about each one. Just like DH and I they like to try them all out and have favorites at each resort. I wouldn't stress out too much picking a resort the kids will love b/c their tastes may change over the years. Plus if you are like our family you will be staying at ALL of them, not just your home resort.

Asking about favorite resorts is like asking about favorite ice cream flavor--people are passionate in their choices, but when you get right down to it, there's no bad flavor.

Ditto for DVC--all the resorts have charm and atmosphere and lots to recommend them. All have detractors and defenders. While there's beauty in the ability to sample the different resorts, you should choose a home resort where your family would be happy time and again.

Here's our story: We have 4 kids, ages 12 years down to 15 months. Like you, I envision going with kids for a long time--once the youngest hits college, grandchildren will be on the horizon if not here. While I would dearly love a couples vacation to WDW (possibly 5 or 6!), I don't see it happening soon. For our family, BCV was the perfect storm: walk to MGM, walk to Epcot, Stormalong Bay. Throw in a character breakfast on-site and Beaches and Cream, plus other dining in the resort and at Epcot, and it was worth the cost premium. I see BCV aging with our children well, which is to say that I can see teens enjoying it as well as younger kids. I also always look through the lens of pushing a stroller with a diaper bag on my shoulder--I know those days won't be here forever, but our last trip (2006) felt like the Bataan Death March at times.

You didn't ask about number of points, but I'll tell you that we opted for points that would get us a week in a 2BR peak season every other year. Again, looking down the road, there may be times when we have to travel peak, bring a friend, etc.

See that's what I wanted to see!!! I know everyone has a different opinion but I think generally kids gravitate the same way. I dig the ranking system it's something my mac would do. Thanks guys for all the input!
...t.

My 'kids' are grown. My eldest daughter loves WL. DW and I do as well.

Young kids may like the slides, older 'kids' may like the feeling they get when they are immersed in WL.

you know I hadn't really thought of WL- The pool theme is definitely cool and easy access to the campground for fun. Also my DS thinks they have the best pin trading. HMMM...
thinking about it, someone mentioned buying into a place for you not your kids, and really this is about where I'll stay with the kids not necessarily where we'll purchase.

I have 4 DVC pool/slide experts at home (DS5,DD9,DS11,DS13) and we have oficially stayed at all the WDW DVC resorts now. My kids like all the DVC resorts but do have their favorites.

For my youngest DS5 and DD9: OKW was a huge hit last summer because of the many community hall activiites (SSR,OKW & BWV have one). The OKW castle slide is a favorite for them because it is easy to access from the pool. The pool games were a hit too (cannonball contest). They loved BCV too though more for the pool since I wouldn't let them cross the path to go down the slide alone. SSR's pool and slide are also a hit.

The older two boys (DS11 & DS13) love SSR because it is close to DTD and has a nice area with the pool, arcade, community hall and AP nearby. This gives them some freedom to explore while I am in the area.

They like the sports activities best at OKW. The basketball and tennis courts are near the pool and community hall. We also had a good time at the pool after dinner, when the crowds thin out. They like BCV because it is close to Epcot and MGM and has a great pool complex.

DVC was one of the best things I ever did for our family. My kids spend as much time at the resort as at the parks so they value the pool time, activities, and the resort itself when we vacation.

Thanks for that. Yeah, that is why we are looking to buy in..living in FL. we used go to WDW to 1 park 1 day and drive home. Then we started staying just so we could hit multiple parks in one trip. Then we went to Star Wars Weekends, I was so excited, I'd kept the secret and we were surprising DS for his B-day. Had his B/F and his mom meeting us w/ an adjacent room. We pull in and I'm waiting for him to realize where we were and NOTHING, he says "oh, this is where we're going" WHAT!!:scared1: I thought I was the best mom in the world, I guess I wrong. We spent the next day at MGM w/ both boys wanting to know when we were going back to the pool. DH and I love off days, we go monorail hopping, check out the fireworks from the beach at the Poly, take the kids to the campfire.... but the kids usually want to know when we're going back to MK, Epcot or AK (not mgm fans, hello... could you UPDATE star tours?!?!? we usually just hit it quickly for DS to do Rock'nRoller Coaster.) But it seems the tide turned last summer and now he too is a resort lover. I raise'm good, i tell ya. He loves sushi, hummus and resort days...makes a mom proud.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter