• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is acceptable re: Leaving kids at the campground

MandLBee

Mouseketeer
In September, we will be staying at Ft Wilderness, tent camping. We have five children. The eldest is 14, the baby is 6. We have 1 13 year old son, and daughter's ages 11 and 9. DH and I would love to have an early date (lunch after church) at Artist Point.
Our kids are great, never get into trouble, follow the rules when home alone, so if we were at home, we've wouldn't hesitate to leave them. However! I feel a little uneasy about leaving them for a couple hours at the campground, you know? What do y'all think?

Hmmmm. My concern might be the 6 year old but you have two older kids who I assume are used to being responsible for the younger ones. I don't think there are any laws or rules about leaving young kids alone with older teens. As long as you trust them not to leave, I would say it's ok. You're pretty close in case something goes south.

Hmmmm. My concern might be the 6 year old but you have two older kids who I assume are used to being responsible for the younger ones. I don't think there are any laws or rules about leaving young kids alone with older teens. As long as you trust them not to leave, I would say it's ok. You're pretty close in case something goes south.
I would be leaving them with a phone, too, and I don't mind if they call. It would be so nice to bike over there, walk around, and eat a really nice meal together.

I'd say you are fine, so long as you are very clear on the rules. 14 and 13 are old enough to babysit. By the time I was 14 I was babysitting a family with 3 kids under 3, 4 days a week 8 hours a day.

I agree- leave a phone and have a nice time! They will probably be happy for a break from you too- lol!

I think you are fine if you set specific guidelines (i.e. stay at the campsite, etc). Also load the Uber app on your phone in case you need to return quickly.

At age 14 they can supervise a younger sibling on a ride so I think this is just fine especially if only for a few hours, would not suggest them leaving the resort area.

I would suggest asking this on the Camping At Disney board. That's where the "Experts" are!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter