What is YOUR definition of being a Christian?

tiggerlover

<font color=33CC99>Still waiting for "the talk"<br
This question is not meant to start a debate, just to get honest answers to the question. What is YOUR definition of being a Christian? Lately I have heard many different answers to this question so I thought I would ask my fellow DISers what they thought.

The dictionary states that a Christian is one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus. What is your definition?

:bounce::wave::bounce:

"That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."
Romans 10:9

That basically sums it up. You should honestly believe in your heart of hearts that God did raise Jesus from the dead (and all the other things that go along with that), and you should be willing to tell people that Jesus is Lord of your life. There are other things, too, but I think they just fall into place if those two things are true. For example, I wouldn't think that a true Christian would be a mass murderer, but if Jesus is Lord of your life, you can't be one. Does that make sense?

Believing that: Jesus Christ is our Savior.

For me, TL, the dictionary definition would cover it in the narrow sense, and more liberal def for me includes living a life which includes being nice to your fellow human beings.

Originally posted by tiggerlover

The dictionary states that a Christian is one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus. What is your definition?

I would have to add that you believe that Jesus was the son of God and the Messiah.

To me a Christian is a person, with flaws and inadequecies just like everyone else. A Christian is a person who believes and follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. One who not only reads, understands and follows those teachings, but who incorporates them into their daily lives. One who can literally turn the other cheek, and not gain satisfaction over the misfortune of others. One who follows the Commandments and takes them to heart. One who follows the greatest commandment of all, "love your neighbor as yourself".

Funny, many Christian I know can spout scripture, and are quick to criticize the "unChristian" like behavior of others, but do not see it in themselves. A Christian, as well as other people of other religions, should practice what they preach.

Being Christian does not make anyone better than anyone else. Does not mean that you have preference in Heaven IMHO...a bad Christian does not have rights over a good non Christian.

By the way...I am Roman Catholic, and I definitely have to work at some of the above, but atleast I know I have to do so...

God, in my opinion made this world and everything on it. The birds, the flowers, trees, everything else and man. He loves all the creatures of this world, and I do not think that if a person leads a good life, he would punish them for not believing in him.

A Christian is one who confesses that s/he is a sinner and in need of God's forgiveness. The Bible says that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. So without Him, we are lost in our sin. But if we confess our sins, the Bible says that He will not only forgive us, but He will cleanse us from all unrighteousness. And then that person accepts that Jesus died for him/her and rose from the dead. And s/he asks Jesus to take over his/her life.
A Christian is not a perfect person, but one who is always pressing toward the mark of being more Christ-like. We cannot do that on our own, but only by the power that God gives us.

uhh...What Kermit said.....wholeheartedly. and what Glo said, IMPO til the last few lines.....it would be nice that way...but thats a debate and I want start it.......nice thread by the way, rather enjoyable to see all the post.:D

I agree with everything that's been said here...and I would just add (or expand on something Dan said) to say "treat others as you would wish to be treated"....I also feel that putting the needs of others ahead of our own is a part of it.

I'd also like to agree that it is refreshing to see a polite sharing of ideas on a topic such as this! :)

Although I agree with most of what others have already posted, JC2 said it beautifully. In order to be a Chrisitan, we must first come to recognize that we need a Savior, otherwise why did Jesus come?

I believe a Christian is someone who believes Jesus Christ is the Only Begotton Son of God and that He is our Savior.

I wouldn't include being kind to others, etc. in my definition because someone could have those qualities and just not believe in Christ.

By the way I am a Christian.

I believe in what Kermit stated. You will not get to heaven on "good works" but only if you accepted Christ into your heart.

TC:cool:

Originally posted by JC2
A Christian is one who confesses that s/he is a sinner and in need of God's forgiveness. The Bible says that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. So without Him, we are lost in our sin. But if we confess our sins, the Bible says that He will not only forgive us, but He will cleanse us from all unrighteousness. And then that person accepts that Jesus died for him/her and rose from the dead. And s/he asks Jesus to take over his/her life.
A Christian is not a perfect person, but one who is always pressing toward the mark of being more Christ-like. We cannot do that on our own, but only by the power that God gives us.

I agree with this definition. I also believe that if you are a Christian you will try to be good to others but that being good doesn't make you a Christian. I do not think one can be "good enough" to earn their way into Heaven. I think that Jesus Christ was sent for a purpose.
And I am grateful for salvation, a free gift from God. :)

Originally posted by JC2
This is the definition of a Christian. The rest should follow as we try to follow Christ lead in our lives. We will fall short and sin since we are human and not God but we will try.

I have a question for those who do not think that how we live our life is what God judges us by...

A Hindu, Jew, Muslim, Budist, who lives a life helping others, whose heart is good and who has no exposure to Christianity has no choice but to not be accepted by God? Someone who has been brought up to believe in their faith and has no hatered, or malice in their heart...is doomed? Yet, a Christian who asks forgivenes after a life that maybe have been a million times worse than the Muslim, Jew, Buddust above gets in? Just a thought here...and not said in anger...Are we making ourselves out to be better than others???

I am asking because it is a question I have....
One I can not understand, and would like opinions on...
I have always thought GOD was not just my God, but the God of all....We may see him different, but as long as we follow the rules (and lets face it many religions have the same fundemental rules) he loves us all....

I guess I see it as a prejudice...no more than excluding other races...

Maybe it is me...but my God made those people, and they are made of what we are....he would not make someone to exclude him into eternal happiness.

I was raised a Christian, but the part I still fail to grasp is the ethnocentricism of the religion....Christianity as being the only right way. To me the way in which you live your life is the best indicator of how good a person you are. I would love to hear some responses to Glo's questions.

Well Glo.......

Can anyone say they understand God? In other words, "I've finally figured God out, and understand it all"? Not me. I'm not implying that that is what you're saying

I do know that much of what has been said here about Jesus Christ being the only way can be backed up by scripture.

There are those who will say that the bible is not inerrant, that there are mistakes and it was only written by people, not inspired by God. If God isn't capable of keeping his Word in tact (as he wants it) then he's a pretty small God.

Jesus said that He is the way the truth and the life. And that no one would get to his Father except through him. Closeminded? He said it, not me. That's what is so difficult for many to deal with. All of us would like to think that there is an easier way. There's not. And really, how much easier could it get? It's the hardest thing in life and it's also the easiest thing in life.

I'm not in any position to argue with a soverign God. Myself, I'm not willing to try and convince him that he's wrong and I'm right and, again, I'm not saying that this is what you're saying.

***Steps down off of soapbox*** :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter