What is your least favourite holiday?

Sweetest Day is a holiday that is celebrated in the Midwestern United States, and parts of the Northeastern United States, also in the northern part of Florida on the third Saturday in October.[1] It is a day to share romantic deeds or expressions.[2] 10 states and parts of two states observe Sweetest Day: Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, West Virginia, and areas of both New York and Pennsylvania west of the spine of the Appalachian Mountains.[citation needed] Sweetest Day has also been referred to as a "Hallmark holiday" or a "concocted promotion" created by the candy industry solely to increase sales of sweets

he first Sweetest Day was on October 10, 1921 in Cleveland. The Cleveland Plain Dealer's edition of October 8, 1922, which chronicles the first Sweetest Day in Cleveland, states that the first Sweetest Day was planned by a committee of 12 confectioners chaired by candymaker C. C. Hartzell. The Sweetest Day in the Year Committee distributed over 20,000 boxes of candy to "newsboys, orphans, old folks, and the poor" in Cleveland, Ohio.[4] The Sweetest Day in the Year Committee was assisted in the distribution of candy by some of the biggest movie stars of the day including Theda Bara and Ann Pennington.[3]

lol, nope ta a fake Valentines Day ( I think it was started in Cleve) by (flower, card company), its only celebrated in some states
Oh because singles need another holiday to make them feel bad about themselves. I hope California is never one of the ones that celebrates it. One of those days (well 2 because NYE sucks too) is bad enough.

Halloween
I'm so glad my kids are older and I no longer feel I have to participate in it.

Compared to what...a day at work? You must have a really easy job. How do people hate holidays that involve giving thanks with family and friends?

I can't' think of any holidays that I hate, but MLK and Presidents day seem to get the least fanfare.
Spoken like someone who’s always just shown up with a side dish. :laughing: Yes, for the one hosting the holiday gathering, it can be a heck of a lot more work than a day at work. And all that preparation — planning, decorating, cleaning, coordinating, shopping, cooking — have to be done around your regular job and day-to-day responsibilities. At the end, you have even more cleaning to do.

My favorite description of Thanksgiving I’ve ever heard went something like this: A day where everyone gathers to give thanks for what they have, then goes out the next day to buy more stuff they don’t need.

I’m truthfully not a fan of the biggies—Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter. They involve big meals that I’ve come to really dislike—the food just doesn’t do it for me. I’m not a fan of the big sit down meal. With just family. It’s boring. I’d rather have a big gathering with interesting pick up, snack type food. A mix of friends and family. So I’ve come to dread these days. I don’t hate all of Christmas or Easter however. The time spent with just my dh and our kids is really special. We have a good time, watch movies, eat casual foods we enjoy.

Our thanksgiving in Canada is coming up in early October. I’m already dreading it...Wish I could suggest a shake up, but it’s just not feasible. I’ll get through the big meal and enjoy the rest of the long weekend.

Last year we traveled over thanksgiving and it was wonderful. Spent thanksgiving at Fort Wilderness.

I like the little holidays—Hallowe’en, Valentines, Canada Day (my absolute favourite!). We get to do them our way.

I find the responses interesting. Maybe, it's because I have a small family. I have never felt obligated to do anything for a holiday. To me, a holiday is what you make it.

We never have large meals for Thanksgiving. Normally, we eat out. DD like to go to Raglan Road, but we've been known to do a hotdog at a movie.

I loved doing holiday things when DD was young. We'd watch all the holiday specials together on television and walk the mall to see the decorations. Halloween didn't involve an elaborate costume, but we would decorate the outside of the house together for fall.

One our best memories was driving around looking at people's Christmas decorating while singing carols.

It sort of makes me sad to think that people see holidays as an obligation and that people dislike them. For me, a holiday is special because of the joy it brings and the memories that result. Holiday activities shouldn't be an obligation you dread. They should be what makes you happy.

I know not all will agree and family dynamics can be difficult, but traditions that are not fullfilling can be changed.

I know not all will agree and family dynamics can be difficult, but traditions that are not fullfilling can be changed.
It’s not so easy to raise the idea of change when dealing with aging/ailing parents. Change is very stressful for them.

It’s not so easy to raise the idea of change when dealing with aging/ailing parents. Change is very stressful for them.
Yes, or when the rest of your family turns on you for suggesting "completely ruining the holiday!" Had way too many friends get shot down with that nonsense.

"Tradition" is just code for "I'm too lazy to think for myself."

Halloween. I am glad my kids are grown and we don't have to do the whole looking for a costume routine. Now, buying alot of candy and answering the door while the dog barks his head off is not fun. The little kids are cute though. It is the big kids who don't dress up and just come around with a pillow case looking for candy that really annoy me.

I understand. In some ways, I am lucky. Most of my family has passed. So, no pressure on me.

Yes, or when the rest of your family turns on you for suggesting "completely ruining the holiday!" Had way too many friends get shot down with that nonsense.

"Tradition" is just code for "I'm too lazy to think for myself."
I understand. I still find it sad that you must live by the wishes of others to the point it has made you dislike the holiday. But, I do understand your position.

For anyone considering braving the resistance and trying to make the change, the first year is the hardest. In my experience within a few years everyone is saying "why didn't we do this earlier?"

We enjoy our holidays. We still get some pushback on the not exchanging gifts thing, but we stick to our guns and don't do any shopping. We've also started feeling less guilty about all the stuff we end up giving away when we can't get people to stop giving it to us. Thankfully most of our relatives embraced it after initial push back.

Thanksgiving. We drive a long way to be uncomfortable around people we see once a year.

Last edited:
Oh because singles need another holiday to make them feel bad about themselves. I hope California is never one of the ones that celebrates it. One of those days (well 2 because NYE sucks too) is bad enough.

When I was single NYE and VDaysucked because it was a reminder that I was single. These days I just ignore NYE and go to bed early. I accept the 1st as a day off from work, the 31st I work.

As a married person I dislike those holidays for the same reason. My husband has never been the type to go out an buy me jewelry or even a card on those days. He's not the type to even have it register in his mind, which is fine. But it's like the gift commercials at Vday, Mother's Day, and Christmas rub it in that if you don't get anything then you're unloved. They suck.

If you count Halloween as a holiday, then by a mile it's my least favorite. In terms of government-recognized holidays, New Year's Eve/Day is my least favorite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter