What meals do you make with hamburger meat?

motocrossmom

Mouseketeer
My family is getting tired of the same meals.... I am trying to cook every night and have 1 night a week we eat out, anyone have any meals they make with hamburger that they would like to share?? or any other meals they make that their family loves ...
:goodvibes
thanks!!!

We always have a ton of hamburger on hand (we buy a portion of a steer with my parents and end up with about 50lbs split into 1lb portions). Anyway, I don't usually do anything fancy with it, but I alternate between things like this.

tacos
meatballs
meatloaf
cheeseburgers
sloppy joes
spaghetti (I use a couple of lbs and make a large batch of sauce to freeze some, make spaghetti with some, lasagna, etc)
lasagna
stuffed peppers

I know there are other things I make, but I can't remember what they are.

chili, tacos, cheesy beef nachos, sloppy joe (I make mine from scratch), hamburgers, spaghetti and meatballs, pizza casserole (casserole with spaghetti sauce, hamburger, rotini and pepperoni), rigatoni.

I just had to go through this because I found a ton of it marked down at the grocery store so I may think of more.

I'm going to move this over to the Cooking Forum. I'll bet that they have tons of great ground meat recipes! :thumbsup2

We don't each much ground meat...just meatballs and once in a while we have hamburgers.

My favorite budget meal is to slow cook chicken in a dutch oven. Start by searing the chicken in olive oil over medium high heat for 5 minutes on each side. Toss in one chopped onion, 6 cloves of garlic, a sprig of rosemary and a bay leaf. Cover the opening with aluminum foil and then put the lid on. Place it in the oven, which has been preheated to 250°, for 80-100 minutes. When done, remove the chicken to a carving board and tent with the aluminim foil. Strain the juices into a fat separator and let sit for a couple minute. Pour the juices back into the dutch oven and heat on the stove top, scraping to deglaze the pot. Add a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and serve with the chicken.

The chicken is so tender that it just falls off of the bone and the flavor is amazing!

My family is fond of stuffed burgers. 2 patties with ???? in the middle. Mushrooms, steak sauce, bbq sauce, blue cheese, cheddar........ whatever you got.

We also make a sloppy joe like mix with bbq sauce instead of a tomato sauce. Serve on a bun with some cheddar cheese. Quick, easy and tasty.

There's quite a lot in the slow cooker thread - we love the one my boys call "upside down shepherds pie" - potatoes at botom, then carrrots, onions (other veg) and browned mince on top, layered with soup. I can't remember the real name - stew or casserole I think.

Good tip is to brown meat first and then freeze it - then its ready drained and doesn't matter so much if you forgot to defrost it (like I always do ;) ) as its not a big solid block.

My grandmother made this all the time for us.

1 box of elbow mac (cooked and drained)
1 pound cooked hamburger
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 can of milk
12-16 oz grated cheddar cheese
1 can of whole kernal corn with peppers (This is the Mexican part, but I just use frozen corn instead)

Combine the soup, milk, cheese and corn in a saucepan over medium heat. Mix until the cheese is melted. Combine with pasta and hamburger in a large bowl. Transfer to baking pan and cover. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

We also make Baked Ziti

1 box pasta
1 pound hamburger
1 jar pasta sauce
1 bag mozz cheese

Cook pasta and hamburger. Combine with other ingredients and bake (covered) for 20-25 minutes at 350. I add a little extra cheese to the top for the last 5 minutes of baking.

These two recipes are for our busy nights when we don't have much prep time for dinner.

Enjoy

I use a mix of ground beef & turkey, but you could make it with all beef, my family loves this...

BBQ Meatloaf

Makes 6 servings

1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
1 lb ground turkey breast
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup bbq sauce, divided

Mix first eight ingredients in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce. Shape into loaf. Placed in a microwave loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray, cover.
Micro on 50% for 15 minutes. Pour 1/4 cup BBQ Sauce on top of loaf; carefully spread to cover. Replace cover and microwave on 50% for 15 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 140 degrees. Let rest for 10 minutes.

Can also be baked in the oven until done, just cover until almost done & then top with sauce.

Here is a Chicken recipe that my kids adore. It's an old WW recipe, but you would never know it...

Easy Chicken Skillet

Makes 4 servings

12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
1 small yellow onion, halved & thinly sliced
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes in juice, undrained
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon dried basil
Parmesan cheese to taste

Heat a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil & cook chicken until browned, stirring frequently.
Add carrots, celery & onions. Cook until vegetables are wilted. Add tomatoes and 1/2 can white wine or water. Add salt & pepper to taste. Add basil. Mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and add cheese to taste.

I like to add some garlic as well. I serve this with orzo, but rice or any other pasta would do. Could also be served as is.

Beef Stroganoff (I follow the recipe from Campbell's Soup.)

1.5-lb hamburger or boneless beef sirloin steak or beef top round steak, sliced thinly
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 can Cream Of Mushroom soup
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Dash of Worcester sauce
2 T parsley (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Slice beef into very thin strips.

Heat half the oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef until browned, stirring often. Set beef aside.

Add remaining oil. Add onion and cook over medium heat until tender. Pour off fat.

Add soup and paprika. Heat to a boil. Stir in sour cream & Worchestershire sauce and return beef to skillet. Heat through. Serve over noodles. Sprinkle with parsley.

We don't use nearly as much as we used to - I substitute shredded chicken for hamburger most of the time now. But in addition to the things mentioned above, we also make:
Asian Lettuce Wraps
BBQ Beef Cups
Beef Taco Bake
Impossible Taco Bake
Pizza Cups
Taco Cups
Taco Salad
Tater Tots Hot Dish

My mother also used to make what she called "Goulash" but it was far from the traditional recipe. It was basically just ground beef, stewed tomatoes (or tomato sauce or even spaghetti sauce depending on what she had on hand) & elbow macaroni.

We too are getting sick of the recipes that it seems like I make all fo the time - thanks for all of the great suggestions!

We don't use nearly as much as we used to - I substitute shredded chicken for hamburger most of the time now. But in addition to the things mentioned above, we also make:
Asian Lettuce Wraps
BBQ Beef Cups
Beef Taco Bake
Impossible Taco Bake
Pizza Cups
Taco Cups
Taco Salad
Tater Tots Hot Dish

My mother also used to make what she called "Goulash" but it was far from the traditional recipe. It was basically just ground beef, stewed tomatoes (or tomato sauce or even spaghetti sauce depending on what she had on hand) & elbow macaroni.

I think everybody made this at one time or another. We called it beefaroni (my mom made traditional Hungarian Goulash) and many people call it American Goulash. No mater what you call it it's a quick, filling meal and pretty economical. :thumbsup2

I think everybody made this at one time or another. We called it beefaroni (my mom made traditional Hungarian Goulash) and many people call it American Goulash. No mater what you call it it's a quick, filling meal and pretty economical. :thumbsup2

Yeah - economical...I'm sure that's why Mom made it. But I have to say that the way she made it was pretty awful! I absolutely hated it as a kid. She didn't start using spaghetti sauce in it until I was a teenager - that made a huge difference to me. Of course I've never been fond of stewed tomatoes. LOL

I used to hate shepherds pie - just brown mince (maybe with a stock cube) topped with mash. I think it was because my mum grew up after the war and didn't have a lot of ingredients to learn on - so once she started caterng for a family she carried on buying what she was used to, and nothing "foreign" (pasta etc :lmao:)

I've got a really economical hungarian recipe - its basically cabbage (and a little onion) cooked gently still its soft, layered with pasta and baked in th oven. Suprisingly tasty:thumbsup2

Getting kinda warm for this now but I make Autumn Soup which makes the house smell great and the kids love.:thumbsup2 Basicly it's hamburger browned with finely chopped onions.Put in large pot, add chopped celery,peeled chopped(soup sized) potatoes and a bay leaf.Cover with water. Low boil about 10 min.Add a can of stewed tomatoes, simmer some more.Til potatoes are tender. Yummy with crackers!:) you can alter the amont of each ingredient to suit your families tastes. Enjoy!

ok i don't measure, so play with this if you need to.
about 2 pounds of hamburger, browned and drained
1 large can of cream of mushroom soup
about 1 cup rice (i don't cook it first, but my sister does:confused3)
8 ounce bag of mild cheddar cheese
green olives

i cook the hamburger, drain, and put it back in pan, add soup, heat just till it starts to bubble, mix in rice, remove from heat. pour into casserole dish, add cheese and top with olives(i like alot) heat in microwave about 4-5 minutes, till cheese is melted.

Just made this recipe, really yummy! I used the onion with carrots and celery for my vegies, DH doesn't care for corn or pea's in it. I didn't measure much and it came out great!

Simply Recipes
Easy Shepherd's Pie
Ingredients

* 1 1/2 lbs ground round beef
* 1 onion chopped
* 1-2 cups vegetables - chopped carrots, corn, peas
* 1 1/2 - 2 lbs potatoes (3 big ones)
* 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
* 1/2 cup beef broth
* 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
* Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice

Method

1 Peel and quarter potatoes, boil in salted water until tender (about 20 minutes).

2 While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 a stick) in large frying pan.

3 Sauté onions in butter until tender over medium heat (10 mins). If you are adding vegetables, add them according to cooking time. Put any carrots in with the onions. Add corn or peas either at the end of the cooking of the onions, or after the meat has initially cooked.

shepherds-pie-1.jpg shepherds-pie-3.jpg

4 Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper. Add worcesterchire sauce. Add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth as necessary to keep moist.

5 Mash potatoes in bowl with remainder of butter, season to taste.

shepherds-pie-4.jpg shepherds-pie-5.jpg

6 Place beef and onions in baking dish. Distribute mashed potatoes on top. Rough up with a fork so that there are peaks that will brown nicely. You can use the fork to make some designs in the potatoes as well.

7 Cook in 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown (about 30 minutes). Broil for last few minutes if necessary to brown.

Serves four.

I'm making cabbage rolls right now! Nice use of ground beef...

All these recipes are making me hungry, though. Starting to wish I'd cooked something faster.

Crockpot Cabbage roll casserole
Mix about 1 cup of uncooked minute rice (do to your preference) with a pound of leaner hamburger, salt and pepper to your liking (or I prefer Cavander's Greek Seasoning) and a medium onion finely chopped. In separate bowl, mix 2 cans of tomato sauce with about a tablespoon or two Worchestershire. In crockpot, layer a third of a small/med cabbage (I just slice it up). Then a layer of meat mixture. Repeat. I pour tomato mixture and Greek Seasoning (or Salt and Pepper) over every layer. I usually get 3 layers of cabbage and two of meat. Can cook all day on low or for about four hours on high.

My measurements aren't exact, but I don't measure, just do to your liking. You can't mess this up and it is great without the work of cabbage rolls.

Lots of different ideas already- I also use ground beef to make wontons/dumplings or hawaiian sweet and sour meatballs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter