What movie did you watch over and over again as a kid?

Star Wars on VHS, but remember when a neighbor of mine got a few 8mm reels with select scenes (no sound, but captioned). We would treat these ~5 minute snips as if it was movie night and just watch over and over again.

yeah, pre-VCR here too. When we got HBO in the 80s, I would set my alarm and wake up and watch Star Wars whenever it was on. I still remember getting up at like 4:30 AM to see it. and then watched it twice again that same day. I remember watching Saturday Night Fever a lot on HBO. Otherwise, it was those types of miniseries/movies, they'd show every year, like the Ten Commandments, etc.

Grease, watched it almost everyday. I remember my dad coming home saying not this movie again... lol
Met my husband and his is Grease 2 mom says he wore out many tapes lol and we still fight today on which movie is better

I hadn’t seen that movie in years, but I was talking with my tween niece about it not long ago so decided to see it again. I never realized this before but there are some really risqué lyrics in some of the songs, and really mature themes. Not really a kids movie!
I know! I was shocked when I watched it with my own kids. It totally went over my head at 8.

Oh! I forgot! (how did I forget?) In our family, whenever the Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda version of "Yours, Mine and Ours" came on, we watched it. I still remember the one scene when they were all going for groceries. Several carts worth were tallied (for their 20+ brood) and Lucille Ball was shocked at the total... "$127?"
I will only watch that version, it's a classic to me though I rarely watched it as a kid.

Dumbo, Lady and the Tramp and The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band .

When I was little, I remember the yearly event movies - Wizard of Oz and Sound of Music.

A bit later, we got a Betamax, and I remember having Annie, some Shirley Temple movies, and The Canterville Ghost (with Alyssa Milano).

I think I was 7 or 8 when we got a vcr. Ghostbusters and home alone come to mind for repeated watching.

I used to babysit two kids who watched that so much!

Star Wars on VHS, but remember when a neighbor of mine got a few 8mm reels with select scenes (no sound, but captioned). We would treat these ~5 minute snips as if it was movie night and just watch over and over again.

I don't remember exactly where he got it, but may dad would sometimes bring home a Bell & Howell 545 projector and show movies that he rented or borrowed. That projector was pretty standard everywhere with a portable case, handle, and the green color. One like this:

$_1.JPG

We had these Bell & Howells (different models but the same green box with the handle) throughout all my school years. Even in high school where we had plenty of VCRs, some of the material was still older stuff only on 16 mm. My teacher rented the film of Hardware Wars. AT&T had a series of educational films. I found this one:

Definitely the Wizard of Oz on VHS. My mom tells me I must have watched that movie literally hundreds of times. I remember being Dorothy for Halloween and having an Oz themed birthday party!

I watch the movie now though and wonder how the heck I wasn’t scared by it! But watch Return to Oz (it’s on Disney+!) and that’s a creepy movie!

More than this, but just off the top of my head:

The Dark Crystal
Creepshow
The Looney Looney Looney Bugs Bunny Movie
1001 Rabbit Tales
The Phantom Tollbooth
Charlotte's Web

Pretty much all of our VHS tapes were either from stuff recorded off the tv or bootlegged from someone else, because my parents were too cheap to buy official tapes, LOL.

Certain movies I always ALWAYS had to stop and watch whenever I saw they were on tv, like The Parent Trap (original, of course) A League of Their Own, and the Bill and Ted movies.

When Aladdin came out in theaters, I was at the age where I thought I was "too cool" for Disney movies (11) and didn't want to go see it. Well, I was still dragged along to the theater and wouldn't you know I ended up LOVING it. When it came out on video my dad bought it for me and I swear I would watch it two or three times a day. It is an excellent movie to be sure, but looking back I'm still not sure why I was SO into it at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter