What not to do in Los Angeles

PixieDustD

Mouseketeer
I am putting in a link at the bottom from the LA Times newspaper about an fatal stabbing at Hollywood and Highland near the Disney Soda fountain.

Large cities in California have a homeless crisis that is mostly rooted in mental illness. I have worked with Non-profit organizations who fund outreach programs for the homeless to get them into programs, and find beds for them. Most of the homeless population is non-violent; they are just trying to survive. Unfortunately, this wasn't the case here. The alleged assailants had a sign asking for money...I am not sure if they were even homeless. It is important to note that incidents like this one are rare, but they do happen.

For those of you who are visiting our state, please do not hand money out to people on the street. Instead, make a donation to an Outreach program in your hometown, San Francisco or Los Angeles. When you are walking our streets, be aware of what is going on around you even in highly traveled areas like the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Make yours a safe vacation.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0620-hollywood-killing-20130620,0,2642112.story

Just want to add that common sense and being aware of your surroundings go a long way in every travel situation, be it in Hollywood or at DLR or elsewhere. Bad things can happen anywhere, but just to reassure those reading here, we frequent the Hollywood & Highland area and have never had a problem with anyone there. Yes, there are some odd characters about, but that's true of many places. Again, keep your wits about you and use common sense and you should be fine.

Just want to add that common sense and being aware of your surroundings go a long way in every travel situation, be it in Hollywood or at DLR or elsewhere. Bad things can happen anywhere, but just to reassure those reading here, we frequent the Hollywood & Highland area and have never had a problem with anyone there. Yes, there are some odd characters about, but that's true of many places. Again, keep your wits about you and use common sense and you should be fine.

Yes, exactly. Always trust your instincts, too. It's better to be too careful than not careful enough.

I'd like to see Watts Towers and as I understand it, they are in a less than desirable neighborhood. Am I crazy to even consider going there.

Michael623 said:
I'd like to see Watts Towers and as I understand it, they are in a less than desirable neighborhood. Am I crazy to even consider going there.

I wouldn't.

Not any more. The area has gotten much better in that last 20 years. But its reputation lingers.

I would drive through Watts to see the towers, but don't stop to get out of the car. Also, be careful of your gaze. Some residential areas in LA may be prejudice against certain races. I know people who have gotten robbed and even jumped by people in residential areas, even at a gas station. Always be aware of your surroundings. Today i saw a story on the news that featured a group of teenagers chasing tourists on Hollywood Blvd.

We recently drove past the towers and our car was hit with rocks. Also, be careful while walking on Hollywood Blvd, a lot of scary crime on the rise there.

Im always walking by Hollywood blvd and it has cops patrolling all day, but be careful its really REALLY small, youre going to show up and say "is this it?" movies always make it look bigger than it is.:rolleyes1

I've driven by the Watts Towers, but I really wouldn't advise tourists to go go over there.

Watts Towers are wonderful and worth a visit. I've gone many times and never felt threatened or in danger (but I can be mean looking - people cross the street to get away from ME :rotfl:)

Speaking Spanish can also help.

But I have no problem taking my son and wife there.

Like everywhere, be aware of your environment and trust your gut.

But if you're interested, do it.

Have fun!

Hollywood and highland is the most touristy area in Hollywood. I wouldn't go there on principle. But, if you mind your own business and as others have said, are aware of your surroundings, you'll be fine. Pretend like you know where you're going and don't haul around a bunch of bags or other things that could be easily stolen or make you an easy target. When I went to school in Hollywood I had many late night classes. I learned that talking to myself and acting like a weirdo got the weirdos to leave me alone.

Just be smart about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter