What "not to miss" for 8 and almost 6 year olds?

carj

DIS Veteran
We will arrive in Anaehim June 25 and leave July 3, staying at Hojo. This is a combination work/vacation. My husband will be at a conference from June 28-July 2. For that time period, it will just be the kids and I.

We are visiting DLR and Lego Land and the beach. So far, those are my only "must-do" activities.

I would like to know if you have any suggestions of places to visit that are unique to California. I am a little reluctant to add more theme parks to the trip. Mostly because I think that after DL and LL we will need to do something else, KWIM?

I am really thinking about things that are half-day or less and under $75 in admission costs for 2 children and 1 adult per day.

What about the Tar Pits? That seems unique and maybe it would be interesting for the kids.

Would a tour of Hollywood or a studio be interesting for kids?

Any other idea? I know that some of you native Californians have some good ideas!

Off the top of my head (I grew up in SoCal and vist often with my kids now)

Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach
http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/planyourvisit/prices_hours
Looks like you could do the aquarium for less than $50.

La Habra Children's Museum
http://www.lahabracity.com/section.cfm?id=99
It's only about 20 minsutes from DLR and lots of fun for a half-day trip

If your DH is free one evening, maybe go together to Medieval Times or Pirate dinner theater in Buena Park?

Your kids are perfect ages for Legoland -- I'm not sure how much they'd enjoy a Hollywood/studio tour at 8 and 6.

Maybe spend a day just at the Hojo pool, Downtown Disney (with a movie) and a character meal (Goofy's, Storytellers, and Lilo/Stitch are all outside the parks at the hotels) to start or end the day? That's what people do at WDW with a "day off".

PHXscuba

I think that we will definitely try the aquarium. I forgot about the pirate dinner! I wonder how far in advance we need to reserve that.

Those two things are perfect because we can't do either of those things locally! Thanks so much for the ideas!:goodvibes

Not a problem -- the mental exercise is good for me too. We go almost every summer and stay with my parents for a week, so it's fun to think up a few new and special things to do every time we go.
That's the great thing about Southern California -- so many things to do that you have to keep going back for more! For example, I think when we're there this summer we will do the California Science Center in LA and perhaps the Pirate Dinner Adventure. Plus the usual favorites like the beach and my sons' favorite reptile pet store!:scared:

PHXscuba

We're not from California but have recently done a few trips there with my husband on business. Your kids are at a great age to do fun things with but yet keep it simple still. You mentioned a Hollywood and or studios tour, and I think to just do Hollywood on your own, perhaps go to Graumann's (sp?) Theater, Disney has a fountain and soda shop across the street too would be perfect for them. Do you have girls? The American Girl store in The Grove is closeby too. We've not been to the tar pits but they sound cool!

I think with the beach, LL and DLR and some pool time at a hotel would be just right! We stayed in Carlsbad one night (LL) and LOVED the beach and town there!
I agree with PHXscuba, DTD, character meal, etc. is great for more lowkey activities (DLR). You can easily spend several days in DLR at a leisurely pace and your tickets get more reasonable for consecutive days.

Happy planning and hope you have a GREAT time!:)

I appreciate the ideas. I am trying to make this a fun trip and not have us running all over the place.

I agree that keeping it low-key will be good. I know that the kids are going to enjoy the pool and you guys have given me some good ideas for non-Disney days.

I want to have a tentative plan for each day so that we aren't sitting around saying, "what are we going to do?"

Here is what I have so far:
June 25- 3pm arrive Hojo, check in, hang out, visit DLR for easy to see shows or rides
June 26 DLR 5pm Goofy's Kitchen for 4
June 27 Lego Land (Long day)
June 28 Beach Day DLR for Fireworks and Fantasmic (Sleep in-late night)
June 29 Aquarium of the Pacific/Beach (Sleep in-early night)
June 30 7:10 Minnie Mouse Breakfast- DLR day
July 1 Hollywood or Beach Day, perhaps Pirate dinner for 3
July 2 DLR Magic Morning
July 3 Depart for home

If we want to skip something, we can. I just feel better have a plan of action!

I've noticed the pirate dinner on 1/2 price on Goldstar.com recently - I use that a LOT for show tickets.

I doubt children that young would enjoy Hollywood much - although I love the El Capitan - and they do a short Disney stage show before some showings as well as have a great live organist before shows - and the Disney soda fountain, outside of R2D2/C3PO's footprints most of the footprints/walk of fame stars won't mean anything to them.

Santa Ana has a good children's science center - very close to DL (just down the 5 - there's a big cube next to the freeway that marks its location). Probably about a 3-4 hour visit. There's also a small zoo in Santa Ana ( very small - but for a 4 year old may be enough)

Have fun!

I agree with what others said.

I'd highly recommend going to see Up at the El Capitan Theatre with lunch or dinner before or after at the Disney Soda Shoppe. http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/el_capitan/
I also like a number of the restaurants across the street at the Hollywood and Highland complex. And, if you're up there, a quick drive down Sunset and you can go to my FAV specialty cupcake shop, Sprinkles. www.sprinkles.com

As for beaches, if I could humbly suggest going to Huntington Beach. Has nicer bathrooms (I big must for our family) and Ruby's Diner on the end of the pier. www.rubys.com The kids get a kick out of it.

If you want something that's fun and different, you could go out to catalina island.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter