What not to miss San Diego (non-theme parks)?

Torontogal

Mouseketeer & Disney Vacation Club Member
Going to San Diego in Aug. as part of our California Adventure!
Wanted to know what sites in San Diego to not miss. We are going to the Zoo but wanted to know what other (non-theme park) sites you HIGHLY recommend? We seem to have an extra day in SD and don't want to miss anything. We have heard about La Jolla, Mission Bay Park, Balboa Park, Coronado, Gas Lamp Quarter...
What were your experiences as a MUST SEE thing to see?
TIA

It depends...what does your family like to do? If you enjoy museums, then there's LOTS of museums in Balboa Park - everything from Natural History to Aerospace to Fine Art/Modern Art. The Space Theater is there, too - there's an IMAX theater as well as a science center, which has interesting interactive activities for kids. And there's the botanical gardens, rose garden, native plant garden, sculpture garden...

If you like Navy stuff, the Midway is a carrier that's been turned into a museum on the waterfront. Really well done, from what I've heard - I still haven't visited. Nearby is the Star of India, one of the old "tall ships". You can take a harbor cruise from that area, too. Or take the ferry to Coronado Island. There's some shopping and restaurants at the ferry landing on the Coronado side, but you're not close enough to the Hotel del Coronado or the beaches to do much else.

If you like the beach, there's lots of great beaches - Coronado (which is next to the Hotel del Coronado), La Jolla Shores, Mission Beach (there's a small amusement park, Belmont Park, there, too). Or there's Mission Bay, which also has miles of beaches, but on the bay and not the ocean. There's lots of grassy areas for picnicking, though.

If you like to hike, Torrey Pines State Park is right on the coast, and has several miles of hiking trails through all the native vegetation. You used to be able to hike down to the beach, but I think they had to close that trail last winter.

Old Town State Park has a number of old homes/exhibits that tell about San Diego's early history. There's lots of shopping and restaurants in that area, too.

The Gaslamp District downtown has tons of restaurants and nightclubs.

Seaport Village is full of lots of picturesque shops right along the bay - there's a carousel there, and a number of restaurants, also. It's a nice place to stroll around.

There's Cabrillo National Monument, which (on a clear day) has a great view of downtown, Coronado Island, and the ocean. The visitor center there has exhibits on the discovery of San Diego Bay by Juan Cabrillo.

Hope that helps.

Laura

La Jolla Cove...catch it at low tide so you can play in the tide pools.

Coronado...gorgeous beach...family friendly...not so many teen-age/college age self-absorbed partiers!

Scripps Aquarium. Good A/C (I think I have previously commented on how I dislike hot weather!:) , amazing displays, totally cool jellyfish displays, and interactive displays outside where the kids can touch a starfish etc.

Old Town...Grandparents LOVE it. Kids hate it.

Tour of the MidWay....very amazing ship. Adults and boys like it. All girls under the age of 12 have HATED it. (so far)

Seaport Village, another hot and cold. I have never gotten the appeal. It reminds me of every other tourist trap tired area. Pretty, but not fun to me. Kids only seem to enjoy it if they get a toy at the toy store.

Gaslamp, great restaurants...but not a unique experience.

Balboa park is worth seeing. ...right next to the zoo, so could cruise it a bit and see if you want to go back?

Okay, enough....my votes are La Jolla, Coronado or the Aquarium.

I also highly reccomend touring the USS Midway. Our boys loved it.
The Maritime museum along the bay is right there also.
Check out the visiting statue, Unconditional Surrender.
I find Seaport village very spendy and geared to tourist.

They other "gotta do" activity for our family is the beach. :beach: Love to walk the beach, listen to the waves, watch sunset, explore tide pools.
We like the beaches in La Jolla. The Birch Aquarium is also in La Jolla too and makes an easy combined trip.

Also like to get a nice seafood dinner while on the coast :fish:

There is SO much to do. The Frommers website also has a one and two day San Diego must see tour plans.

Can't wait to plan our next trip now too:rolleyes1

We always enjoy going to the Padres game. Actually checked their schedule to make sure they were home for a couple games when we're there mid August.
Along with Scripps, WAP, the zoo I can leave - while it's nice we've been there several times. There's a water park in Chula Vista also a nice nature center. Don't forget Legoland.
I also enjoy the harbour cruise. You can usually get coupons for it.

Thank you everyone! I cannot wait to see San Diego - looks like a really liveable city!

Also, don't miss the Trolley tour that leaves from Old Town. It takes you all through the city and over to Coronado Island and back. For a first timer, it shows you loads of stuff to do. San Diego is a great city!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter