What percentage of BLT is decided to regular/cash reservations?

jtowntoflorida

Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney
We're renters and were able to get into BLT last year. This year, we've had no such luck...been sitting on the waitlist since the 7 month window opened and I don't expect that to change. Next year, for a number of reasons, I'm thinking of skipping renting and just reserving a cash room directrly through Disney. I've been looking at BLT availability, and it has said there is no availability. How can that be? It would be 13 months out at this point. I've never made a reservation direct through Disney, so I have no idea when the cash rooms come online, so maybe that's the problem. :confused3

As I understand it, DVC does not set aside a certain number of rooms for cash reservations, since up to 98% of the points have been sold to DVC members. Therefore, if every single owner of Bay Lake Tower points used all of his points at BLT, there would be no availability for other DVC members (non-BLT owners) nor for cash guests.

The only way the rooms become available to non-DVC members is if either (i) DVC owns x number of points and decides to give them up to central reservations; or (ii) a BLT owner trades out his points in order to book a vacation at a non-DVC resort (i.e., the Disney Collection, the Concierge Collection, Adventures by Disney, etc.), in which case the funds received from the cash reservation go towards paying for the owner's non-DVC vacation.

This is how it has been explained to me, but someone please correct me if I am off base.

I think you are just a bit too early. Somewhere closer to 11 months will be when the cash reservation start being available.

However it's generally more expensive than renting points. What it sounds like is that you may just need to locate an owner of BLT points so that it can be booked in the home resort priority booking period.

As I understand it, DVC does not set aside a certain number of rooms for cash reservations, since up to 98% of the points have been sold to DVC members. Therefore, if every single owner of Bay Lake Tower points used all of his points at BLT, there would be no availability for other DVC members (non-BLT owners) nor for cash guests.

The only way the rooms become available to non-DVC members is if either (i) DVC owns x number of points and decides to give them up to central reservations; or (ii) a BLT owner trades out his points in order to book a vacation at a non-DVC resort (i.e., the Disney Collection, the Concierge Collection, Adventures by Disney, etc.), in which case the funds received from the cash reservation go towards paying for the owner's non-DVC vacation.

This is how it has been explained to me, but someone please correct me if I am off base.

Not quite right, they DO have a separate inventory of rooms for cash reservations. They don't sell 100% or even 90% for DVC, so there's frequently MORE availability for cash guests than DVC guests.

Not quite right, they DO have a separate inventory of rooms for cash reservations. They don't sell 100% or even 90% for DVC, so there's frequently MORE availability for cash guests than DVC guests.

They actually sell between 95-97% of inventory once a resort is sold out. The remaining 3-5% is maintenance inventory and not available for cash. He was right.

There is frequently cash inventory available when there is no DVC inventory, but that mostly has do do with trading out or inventory owned by DVD because it hasn't been sold (or has been foreclosed on) - but the points DVD owns they intend to sell.

The reason there is inventory for cash guests and not DVC members is that DVC members who own at BLT have traded out their points for non-DVC trips like DCL or Adv by Disney or similar and DVC needs to pay for that trip by giving the inventory to Disney Reservation Center to sell. Those points were already used for a DVC trip and cannot be used again for a DVC trip.

Less than 3% of BLT still belongs to DVD and that is the most they will place with CRO. And any additional rooms have to come from the members that trade out to RCI, DCL or other exchanges. Like others have said some rooms are released to CRO around 11 months before check in date. Others become available during the year.

However it's generally more expensive than renting points. What it sounds like is that you may just need to locate an owner of BLT points so that it can be booked in the home resort priority booking period.

I want the ability to cancel if need be, so I'm willing to pay more than I'd pay via renting. I love renting, love the person we rent from, but for next year, I think I'd like the ability to cancel.

I wish we could just commit to buying so we would have a little more flexibility than we have as renters and not have to worry about cash reservations at all. #firstworldproblems ;)

As to what Disney actually retains in ownership, it is probably something between 2% and 4% per unit in each resort. The modern official documents state they will keep at least 2%. Older official documents phrased it as DVD may keep up to 4% but would definitely keep 2%. also, it is not correct that those are rooms held for maintenance. I am unaware of anything in the official documents that requires DVD to dedicate its inventory to any maintenance issues that may arise and instead the docs say it can use its inventory for reserving rooms just like owners. DVD also gets inventory to rent by temporary recaptures of I points through member trade outs, foreclosures, and the rule that opens all remaining inventory at 60 days out from any given date.

As far as doing a cash rental through Disney, 13 months out is just too far for DVC resorts and you should check at 11 or less.

try 9 to 6 months.

think 11 months is only for DVC members - the cash reservation (I think) have to wait.

my problem with Disney having so many BLT rooms for rent - is that Disney tells us that BLT member are not trading - so they have to make us pay more.

now either they are lying - or something is not adding up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter