• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

What resort outside "the world"...

Kim in TN

Disney & Dachshund Lover Lurks daily, posts rarel
If you wanted to stay outside Disney due to the cheap rates, what would you reccommend. Which has the best proximity to the world, downtown disney area, or maingate area,
we have never stayed outside Disney but are considering a quicky cheap trip. Would we be disappointed? Which hotel have you enjoyed?
Please help!

For me it will be Doubletree Suites in DD. They are running a special rate of $59 if it's available during your stay. I checked out DU and they quoted me some nights $59, $79 and $129 which averages out to $100, but still is a great price!! You're still on Disney property and very close to DD.

We stayed here last year for one night and we love it! The room is a little bit over 600 sq ft. The room is very clean and colorful (it reminds me of the pictures I have seen of Contemporary) The service was superb. Would we go back here again, definitely, but probably not this year though. We thought we'd stay at the ASMo again this year with the great rate of $49!! Can't beat that...not on the property!!

I can't recommend one to stay at, but I can recommend one to avoid at all costs - Anything to do with Westgate. There are towers, condos, rooms. My in-laws have a 5 star condo in Aruba that they swapped for us for this place in Orlando. Since it was "! mile" from the entrance, free, 3 huge bedrooms, full kitchen, huge living room, etc. we figured how could we miss. We even added an extra day for only $125/night. Even for free it was a nightmare. We absolutely hated the place and forfeited the $125 go salvage our trip and spend the last night at a Disney resort. The "1 mile" trip took 45 min. each way with construction and traffic, etc. Since the baby still needed naps, we spent almost 4 hours every day just traveling. We realized after that trip that no matter what teh savings, we would never stay off-property. We hated feeling like average-joes.

I'm sure if we had a better resort, we'd feel differently about staying off-site, I know there are lots of people that swear that's the only way to go.

Thanks for the quick replys
FYI
The All-Stars are definately a possibility. Especially if we can get them for $49, but I let my Disney Card (MKC) lapse cause we hadn't planned on going this year but I can't do without the Mouse, so we were checking into the options.
If we can get the stars for 49 we could stay there with it being on site, but I haven't got the quote back from Dreams Unlimited.
Thanks for the info!

Good luck! I hope you get that rate, if not there are other nice or decent hotels in DD for about $39. There's Courtyard Marriott and there's Grovenor, Bestwestern and Doubletree Suites all offering great rates. If you don't get the rate of $49 at ASMo, try the ASsp or ASMu.

The Holiday Inn suites hotel is running a special right now.3 room suite, full buffet breakfast for everyone and 2 adult dinner buffets included for $115 a night.Im not sure of your travel dates but call the hotel and ask about the special.They have alot of nice extras there too and 7 different kinds of suites from romance w/a heart shaped jacuzzi to their kidsuites.Good luck

I don't know if it's still there, but in '92 we stayed at the Residence Inn at Lake Cecile in Kissimmee. We were engaged and didn't have a lot of money. It was $60 a night or so and our room was perfect. It had one queen bed, a living room, and full kitchen. It was a studio, but CLEAN and comfortable. We found the drive very quick and easy. They had a free breakfast that we had each morning before driving off. It's on a nice quiet lake, and we thought it was all in all very nice.

I also agree with the doubletree suites. I stayed there with my folks in '92 also (it was a different company but same hotel). It's big with separate bedroom and microwave, fridge, etc. For the money I'd say it's good. We took the buses from there, but now I have strollers to I think buses are okay as long as you don't have a stroller. And you can walk to the shopping center the Crossroads.

Good luck!

Ityldu, it's a shame that your trip was spoiled by traffic problems. That's the only reason (certainly a big one!) you mention for hating your stay at Westgate. If I understand correctly, your stay was at the Westgate Vacation Villas in Kissimmee, just west of Disney on Rte 192. It's worth noting that all the horrible road construction in that area is finished now - for half a dozen miles east of WDW and west of WDW for the first mile or so, beyond Westgate. Construction is still ongoing further west. But late summer reports say that area traffic is now very smooth, swift and efficient. There is also a back road to the parks nearby. When exiting Westgate VV, don't drive on 192, but cross this highway near Silver Lake. There's a road, Sherberth, that cuts through to the entry road for Animal Kingdom, minimal traffic. Turn left for AK and right to follow signs for the other parks.

I'm sure a repeat attempt is not in your future after your bad experience. But others seeking offsite accommodations don't need to worry about traffic in Kissimmee east and nearby west as it used to be. Hope this helps. :)

LisaP - Thanks for the info. about the construction, I'm sure that makes a big difference.

Although the construction was bad, that was the best part about staying at Westgate. The condo was filthy, the pool was boring and we have yet to figure out if it was chlorine or salt water because it had a horrible salty taste. The screens on the deck were FULL of dead bugs and the deck furniture was covered with dirt. The kitchen was crawling with ants and the wallpaper was badly peeling. The pull-out couch was so badly stained we wouldn't let the kids upstairs where it was located. Luckily the 3 main beds were in good shape and the bathrooms & kitchen were very clean (aside from the ants). The hard sell to buy a condo went beyond harassment. I could go on, but I think you get the gist. Yes, we did complain, but since it wasn't our condo (it was our in-laws) and they realilzed we weren't going to purchase one, it appears they didn't care. We truly would not stay there again even for free. After we got home we heard that others had similar experiences there.

FYI the Residence Inn in Kissimmee @ Lake Cecile is no more. It has been take over by another chain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter