What to Book Ahead and When?

overthinker

Earning My Ears
We just booked a trip to Aulani for January 2017. Can anyone point me to a list of which activities/meals/etc require (or recommend) advanced booking and how far in advance the must be (or should be) booked? Both Aulani and other Oahu locations would be great, but I'm most interested in Aulani-specific reservation requirements. I thought I saw a list somewhere on this board, but I can't seem to find it. Thank you!!

Aunty's registration can be done at 90 days in advance. I believe dining is 180 days in advance? You might want to book cabana's or casabellas in advance as well and the spa. I did Aunty's and dining reservation online, but called for my casabella reservations.

No problem! I am a TOTAL over planner and was obsessing over all the details-mainly Aunty's. I booked Aunty's at exactly 90 days out and got my boys into the three free activities they wanted. I didn't realize that the casabellas and the dining opened so early. When I tried for dining there were still reservations left, but earlier times, which was what we wanted anyway so it all worked out. I would keep trying the online reservation for dining until your dates pop up, or maybe even call. The CM's when I called to book the casabellas were super helpful and friendly. =)

We did not book any excursions, so I cannot help with that. Also, if you plan on doing the Arizona memorial, you can reserve tickets online two months in advance. Make sure you are online exactly when it opens, because tickets sell out crazy fast! I also created an account prior to the day I was trying to get tickets for so that morning it was faster. Here is that link:

http://www.recreation.gov/showPage....&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72369&page=memorial

Thank you! I'm also concerned about Aunty's- I've already put a reminder on my calendar to make sure I reserve at exactly 90 days!

Yes, I just didn't want to have to line up early in the morning for the free activities! I think the only thing you will need to line up for is if you want them to eat lunch or dinner at Aunty's. We leave in less than 3 weeks and I plan on writing a rip report. =)

Thank you! I'm also concerned about Aunty's- I've already put a reminder on my calendar to make sure I reserve at exactly 90 days!
For Aunty's, they will email you times after you put in your request for activities. I found that there was plenty of time to rearrange activities as my schedule changed. However, once I got there I was told all of the pre-registration slots were full. So, even if you don't register at exactly 90 days, I don't think you have anything to sweat.

As for other activities, I would definitely make reservations before you get there, as I met people in lines at Aulani who wanted to do activities such as surfing but were unable to get reservations while they were there because every place they tried was booked. You will probably be fine a couple of months out, but I wouldn't wait until the last minute. I think I started booking around the 3 month mark and had my choice of days/times at most places (We did a Big Island helicopter tour, swimming with wild dolphins, fishing charter, Pearl Harbor, surf lessons, and a submarine ride. We also had a shark cage excursion booked, but it was cancelled three different times due to weather.)

Thank you! What a great list of other activities- I'll have to do some research on these- the helicopter tour, dolphin swimming and submarine ride sound fun! Not so sure about a shark cage...

Thank you! What a great list of other activities- I'll have to do some research on these- the helicopter tour, dolphin swimming and submarine ride sound fun! Not so sure about a shark cage...
And the shark cage was the one I was REALLY looking forward to...

The submarine ride was in Waikiki through atlantisadventures.com. Our first scheduled tour with them was cancelled due to visibility. I guess when the water gets too rough, you can't see much. They said morning tours have a better chance of going out.
We used sailhawaii.com (Wild Side Specialty Tours) for the dolphin swim. I think they were a little more pricey than some of the other places. However, I loved that the maximum number on the boat was 10, which ended up just being the 8 in my traveling party. I felt more safe in the water because there were 2 guides in the water with us (and only 5 of us got in the water). When I saw another boat that had maybe 40 people in the water, it didn't look as safe because they were in the water all around the boat....how could they keep track of everyone or ensure they were all safe? They were also very aware of the dolphins' behaviors and were actually telling other people who had swam out from shore how to behave around the dolphins so as not to scare them off. They also tried to keep us away from the other groups of people so that we wouldn't have to compete with them for the experience.
For the helicopter tour, we actually took a trip to the Big Island and used bluehawaiian.com. This was another tour that was cancelled a couple of times due to the weather and low visibility. I also think they operate on Oahu, if you are interested in a helicopter tour there. Our tour on the Big Island went over the prior lava flows and up to the lava lake at the top of Pu'u 'O'o, which is the eruption site of the past 33 years. We also were able to see Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea as well as the Kilauea Caldera which is what you see from the Jaggar Museum. We also flew over several waterfalls. It was amazing!

In looking at the excursions that folks have booked, it looks like most are through third parties. Is there a reason not to book through Aulani? Is it a cost issue or something else? Thank you!!

We will be there the last week of September. I booked our casabellas and cabana in late February. I booked our spa treatment in early April. I booked our dining reservations (Ama Ama and Makahiki) in late April, and added some more this morning. So far, I've been able to get everything I've wanted at the days and times I want but September is a relatively slow time. I would highly recommend booking cabanas or casabellas now if you want them, since they book up fast. There's no cost to hold one now, you pay when you're there.

In looking at the excursions that folks have booked, it looks like most are through third parties. Is there a reason not to book through Aulani? Is it a cost issue or something else? Thank you!!
I didn't really look at the options through Aulani. However, looking at them now, of the similar ones I did, I found it cheaper booking through the companies. For instance, I did a private fishing charter for 6 hours, and the amount I paid was just over half of what the cost is through Aulani. We also did surf lessons. We had far from the cheapest ones that people are able to find, but even so, ours were still cheaper than the ones offered through Aulani. In addition, we had our own transportation, so finding a way to the places and back was not a concern for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter