What to cook after working a full day?

Beth E. (NJ)

<font color=red>Disney obsessed<br><font color=blu
I'm working full time these days and getting home at 5:30 and starting dinner is less than thrilling.

What do you guys make for dinners that will appeal to the kids and doesn't make you nuts?

Two weeks ago I did the cook on Sunday for the week thing, but that doesn't work every weekend. I made meatballs in red gravy and a large meatloaf. I also bought the ingredients for a crock pot dish - but it was less than inspiring, so I won't bother to share it here.

I am going through the same thing. When I get home from work the last thing I want to think about is dinner.

I now have a new twist in the picture. DS started working at McDonalds and I like to have dinner ready when he gets home from school so he isn't eating McDonalds every night for dinner.

I am in a real rut. It has to be easy, it has to be quick, people have to like it.

I got a new cookbook last week called "Don't Panic, Dinner is in the Freeze" but I am underwhelmed by it. Maybe its the rut I'm in.

I also got a couple of new crock-pot books, but I just can't seem to get in the mood. I am still fixing the same old tired food that we are all tired of, but I just can't get excited about something different.

When I worked this was always an issue for us too - at least until I started doing a bunch of meat ahead. I'm sure you've seen me post about it before, but it REALLY helped cut the prep time & meant I didn't have to do the Weekend Cooking thing all the time either. Just toss the chicken in the crockpot all day (or even boil & simmer for a couple hours if you have the time) & then shred it. I just packed it in meal-sized portions to use for everything from chimichangas, soups, chicken salad for lunch and casseroles to easy chicken cordon bleu or chicken parmesan. I do the same thing with hamburger, but of course there's no need to shred. I do, however, drain the fat off - which makes me like the taste better anyway.

I've also stopped stuffing my turkeys when I make them - and they're not just for T'giving & C'mas either! When they're cheap we buy several & put them in our chest freezer. I rub them inside & out with a mixture of spices/herbs and cook until the meat falls off the bones. Then I can shred it. It's an all day ordeal, though, because I cook the bones after for the broth. We eat hot turkey sandwiches for several nights, but freeze the rest for another time. I do cheat sometimes & just cook the bird on Saturday and pull the meat off the bones then shred the meat on Sunday when it's chilled. Then I'll simmer the bones overnight.

Sorry Beth - it's been a really hectic day here and I never came back to give you some of the things I actually cook. I'll try to get back tomorrow with a few more for you. ;)

This one I got from someone here. DH isn't impressed with it, but it's fast & easy (if you use bought meatballs) and both kids like it. Plus it's a nice change from just plain spaghetti.

Meatball casserole
20 meatballs
1 lb Italian bread
28 oz spaghetti sauce
1 c water
2 cloves garlic, diced
8 oz cream cheese, softened
½ c mayonnaise
1 tsp Italian seasoning
¼ tsp pepper
2 c mozzarella cheese

Defrost meatballs in microwave for 5 min. Cut bread into 1” slices. Place bread in ungreased 13"x9" dish. Combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, Italian seasoning & pepper; spread over bread. Sprinkle with ½ c mozzarella. Combine sauce, water & garlic; add meatballs. Pour over cheese mixture; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes. (Although cream cheese may be lite version, mayo cannot**.) Serves 6-8 [NOTE: I don't know why is says mayo can't be lite version because I accidentally used light Miracle Whip & it was fine. :confused3]

= = = = = =
This one uses hamburger and as I mentioned I have bags of it already cooked in the freezer so it takes no time. The kids still like this - there's just something about Tater Tots. LOL

Tater Tots Hot Dish
1 lb hamburger, browned
½ lb peas, frozen
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup or
1 can cream of mushroom soup
½ c milk
Tater Tots
Mix together & cover top with tater tots. Bake at 350 for 45 min in uncovered pan.

I got a nice chicken recipe off the Hellmans website - I can't remember the exact proportions, but you mix mayo (can be Lite) breadcrumbs and parmesan, spread it over the chicken and grill it (I think) - nice and moist.

Jacket potatoes with various fillings - if time is short I start them in the microwave then finish in the oven.

I make up big batches of bolognaise and freeze in portions for pasta, potatoes etc., or make up into lasagnes and shepherds pies and freeze for a later occasion.

In fact whenever I'm making anything that freezes - casserole, pies, quiches - I make double and freeze half. Its not really more work - especially something like fish pie! (If you use creme fraiche instead of cream you won't have any trouble with the sauce separating).

Of course the freezer has other emergency supplies :rolleyes1

Easy Chicken Casserole

1 1/2 cups cooked chicken
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 1/3 cup of Minute Rice
1 cup water
1 can (Durkee) french fried onions

Mix all but onions together and bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. Cover with onion rings and bake 20 minutes longer.

Pot Pie

2 store brand frozen pie crsut
2 boxes stuffing mix-chicken flavor
2 cans cream of chicken or cream of celery soup
2 bags frozen vegetable mixtures (such as broccoli/carrots/cauliflower), cook slightly and drain
4 or 5 chicken breasts, pre-cooked and cut-up
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix chicken, soup and vegetables together. Pour into crust. Make stuffing. Pack on top of mixture in crust.

Bake on cookie sheet 350 degrees-1 hour or less.

Muffin Pizzas

Split english muffins-toast under broiler until browned.
Remove from oven and add pizza sauce, sliced pepperoni, mushrooms, or wharever else is preferred, lastly add shredded mozzarella cheese. Return to broiler until melted and bubbly.

Easy Lasagna- Brown up hamburg and add sauce.
- make up a box of Mac and Cheese
- Now layer them, every other like a lasagna and adding
gratted cheese.
bake 350' for 20 min.

Chinese Rice

Brown 1 lb. ground beef (or ground chicken) with onion and celery. Combine with 1 cup Minute rice, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Simmer on stove about 1/2 hour. Depending on the size of your family you may want to double.

Spaghetti Casserole

Brown 1 lb. ground beef (or ground chicken) with onion. Meanwhile cook elbow macaroni, drain. Add macaroni to mean/onion mixture along with 1 large (family size) tomato soup. Simmer on stove.

Tater Tot Casserole

Brown 2 pounds ground beef (or ground chicken) with onion. Add 2 cans cream of chicken soup. Put in casserole dish. On top add frozen tater tots. Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Hot Dish

1 lb. ground beef (or ground chicken) mix with package of dry onion soup mix. Pat mixture around insides of a round baking dish. In center put 1 box of prepared stuffing. On top of all add 1 can of cream of mushroom soup. Bake 350 degrees for approx. 1 hour.

Love the sound of the easy lasagne :goodvibes I don't think we can get packet mac & cheese though - only yucky tins :sad: I suppose I could use quick cook macaroni and an instant sauce for speed.

Just got this one from the KRAFT magazine:

Beefy One-Pot Dinner
1 lb ground beef
1 cup each of chopped onions, thinly sliced carrots, finely chopped potatoes
1 cup water
1 can baked beans (14 oz/398 ml)
1/2 cup barbecue sauce (I used a smoky flavoured one)
1 cup shreddred cheddar cheese

Brown meat and drain. Add veggies and cook 5 minutes. Stir in water, cover and simmer 10 minutes (or until veggies are cooked). Add beans and barbecue sauce. Stir and cook for another 5 mintues. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.

This was fast and delicious. It was kind of like a stew but fast.

these are all so wonderful! thank you ladies. i also work a full time job and it's tough trying to figure out the whole supper thing at 5:00. and now ds(5) is playing soccer and its 2 or 3 nights a week, so it's after 6:00 before we get home.
i'll have to try some of these.
i usually sit down sunday am and write out my calendar for the week of what's what for the week and what we are eating on what days, and who will be where at what time.....so i know what to take out of the freezer the night before......

seems to work for us.

My current favorite 20 minute meal - we had it tonight!

Turn on the bbq to heat. Start some white rice. Toss plain chicken tenders or small breasts with some olive oil and a bunch of chipotle chili seasoning (it came in a shaker at the store) and stick them on the grill. Open a bag of Fresh Express Southwest style salad. It comes with dressing and salsa, so there is enough to put on your rice if you want. Slice an orange for something sweet. Yumm! (My picky eaters don't like salad, but they'll eat the kind from a bag - go figure!)

I like easy "non-recipe" cooking for busy nights.

That beefy one pot dinner sounds really good for something easy to make when we go camping!

I am a from scratch cook--however--I reserve those things for weekends. I work full time too. I really get some good ideas from the Kraft Food and Family magazine. I get it free in the mail but the magazine is online at www.kraftfoods.com. I tried the dish that is on the cover--a stirfry with asian noodles. It used sesame salad dressing for the sauce and my husband and I thought it was very good and so fast.
Deb

I thought I might would add something to the mix here...people probably already do this but I thought I would toss it out anyway, we fix this and it's filling and Quick :
Brown some hamburger meat
Prepare a box of mac and cheese and mix together. You can add some rolls and even a salad and you got you a good meal, we eat this alot, it takes me 10 min max.

I'm sure people fix this but if you don't want to slave over a hot stove, and your tired this is good :
Buy the long sauages, they come in packs over by the bacon etc...cut the sauages up add onions, green pepper and red pepper ( if you want ) and cook it on the stove until browned. It's really good.

Ok here is how we make easy lasagna
Bag of frozen Ravioli!
Brown ground meat/ add in your favorite sauce
Put a layer of sauce on bottom of pan
Layer of ravioli
layer of mozz cheese
repeat

Easy peasy and tastes close to the real deal

Another quick favorite-

Chicken Terriyaki with potatoes.
Skinless boneless breast cut into bite size pieces
1 pound of baby red potatoes cut in half(microwave in water for 10 minutes) If you can't get the babies cut regular reds into quarters
1/2 cup of Terriyaki
1/3 cup scallions(long chops- like an inch long) and I use more than a 1/3 cup

Brown Chicken in 2 TBSP veg. Oil while you are nuking the potatoes
Take out chicken- add the potatoes(drained) and brown- toss the chicken back in. When it is heated through toss in the Terriyaki and the scallions and cook for one minute more.
Serve!
Everyone loves this one and it is basically one pan to clean for the whole meal so I love it.

My method is to just cook a large amount at each dinner, enough entree to serve the family for 2 or 3 dinners and 2 lunches.
After about 4 times doing this there is a nice range of meals in the freezer to choose from on any given day.
Simply by making extra servings daily, it doesn't take any extra time like the once a week making & freezing.

As an extra plus, I will pack the lunch not for the next day but the day after.

If entree & veggies will freeze, so much the better & you can get a better selection, just not have the same thing the next day.

I like to make extra muffins/rolls and freeze. I can pull out & make a nice bread basket selection for breakfasts or dinners.
With corn muffins I will crumble & use in a stuffing usually for pork or turkey.

I try to make healthier meals, so this method helps me avoid the pre-made stuff & all those extra sugars, salts, fats etc.
It's a goal, I'm not always successful, but the above method helps me come closer to my ideal menu planning.

Jean

I use the new crockpot bags to help with cleanup. Put a nice sized chuck roast in the bag in the crockpot. Sprinkle a package of dry italian dressing on the roast and add a jar of peppercinis with liquid. (not sure of spelling). Cook all day on low. Come home, shred the meat, serve on hoagie buns. I have meat eating boys and they really like this.

When I worked this was always an issue for us too - at least until I started doing a bunch of meat ahead. I'm sure you've seen me post about it before, but it REALLY helped cut the prep time & meant I didn't have to do the Weekend Cooking thing all the time either. Just toss the chicken in the crockpot all day (or even boil & simmer for a couple hours if you have the time) & then shred it. I just packed it in meal-sized portions to use for everything from chimichangas, soups, chicken salad for lunch and casseroles to easy chicken cordon bleu or chicken parmesan. I do the same thing with hamburger, but of course there's no need to shred. I do, however, drain the fat off - which makes me like the taste better anyway.
I'd love your recipie for the chimichangas, and easy chicken cordon bleu :confused3

No problem! :teeth: These aren't the original versions - which were the kind you do all the cooking at the same time. These are the versions where I use the shredded chicken.

Chicken Chimichangas

2½ c cooked chicken, shredded
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ Tbl chili powder
16 oz salsa (mild or spicy)
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp cinnamon
pinch salt (opt & I skip)
6 flour tortillas (10”)
1 can refried beans
1 c shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese

Mix together garlic, chili powder, salsa, cumin, cinnamon & salt if you're using it. Stir in shredded chicken. Preheat oven to 350.
If not using a no-stick casserole dish, you'll want to grease or at least spray the vertical edges.
Working with one tortilla at a time, spoon a heaping tablespoon of beans down center of each tortilla. Top with a scant ½ cup of the chicken mixture. Sprinkle some cheese over chicken mixture. Fold up the bottom, top and sides of tortilla. Place chimichangas in greased baking pan, seam side down. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.

For a low-fat dish, you can spray or brush the chimichangas with oil. They should be done when they turn golden brown.

Otherwise use this for a topping:

1 can of Cream of Chicken or Cheddar Cheese Soup
½ c sour cream

Combine soup & sour cream; stir until smooth & spread over chimis. Bake until soup bubbles. Tope with additional cheese if desired.

= = = = = = = =
The cordon bleu is so dumb I'm almost embarrassed to post it. LOL It's good & quick but its only resemblance to the "real" stuff is the ingredients.

Chicken Cordon Bleu

shredded chicken (about 2 cups)
slices of boiled ham (I get it "chipped" at the deli & just use it that way)
cheese - either deli sliced or pre-shredded (cheddar, swiss, american, ??)
Italian bread crumbs
Parmesan cheese (opt)
olive oil

I just layer the chicken on the bottom of the casserole & then cover with cheese. Add a thin layer of bread crumbs on the top. Sprinkle Parmesan over the bread crumbs. Spray oil over the top...it helps make a crust out of the crumbs without using a bunch of melted butter. If you don't have an oil sprayer (like a Misto) you can just drizzle it out of the bottle over the crumbs.

I do something similar to make Chicken Parmesan - just change the variety of cheese used to Mozzarella or Provolone and add spaghetti sauce before the bread crumbs. They're not haute cuisine, but we like them. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter