What to do in DL prior to SoCal/DL ABD

Marthasor

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I think we are finally going to do the SoCal/DL ABD! Our plan right now is to spend two nights in DL prior to the tour. I was just curious, for those who have done the tour recently, how could we best optimize our time at DL on those days on our own. I would like to make sure we see sections of the park, go on rides, see shows, etc. that we may miss during the tour. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

We’re actually doing Universal Hollywood before our tour this weekend. Booked to stay at Loews Hollywood Hotel for the night so we’ll already be there.

We are planning on doing the WB studio tour before hand. Trying to decide on something else to do in LA. We are also staying an extra night in DL after the ABD to take advantage of the included ticket.

Hi everyone! I think we are finally going to do the SoCal/DL ABD! Our plan right now is to spend two nights in DL prior to the tour. I was just curious, for those who have done the tour recently, how could we best optimize our time at DL on those days on our own. I would like to make sure we see sections of the park, go on rides, see shows, etc. that we may miss during the tour. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
For this trip I'd actually recommend you not do DL before. DL is the bow on on the whole package. You'll see plenty of DL as part of the package.

Instead, concentrate your pre-nights on the Hollywood area. There are some good things to do there. As several people have suggested above, there is Universal Studios. But there are also some non-theme park things to do nearby the Loews hotel, or a short uber ride away. We really enjoy the Farmers Market and the Grove.

I'm not sure what you're into, but I agree with others. If you want more time in Disneyland, stay a few days after the Adventure ends and spend more time in Disneyland after the official end of the ABD trip.

My ideas on what to do in/around LA if you want to spend some time there before the ABD trip starts:
Getty Villa (if you are interested in Greek/Roman history or culture)
WB studio tour (especially if there's a Harry Potter in the group)
Academy Museum of Motion Pictures (I haven't been but I heard it's amazing)
Griffith Park (there's the planatarium, hiking, and a zoo. The planetarium grounds have excellent views of the Hollywood sign, as do some of the hiking trails)

You have plenty of on your own time and the ability to skip the lines during your Disneyland days at the end of the trip, so I wouldn't worry too much about what to see or not see. You might want to make it a point to watch the fireworks from a good spot, since they frequently are cancelled due to wind. Also if you want to do any nicer dining reservations, do them before.

Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm, and Six Flags Magic Mountain are all in the area. I highly recommend Magic Mountain if you like big coasters, but not if you don't. You could also do things like the Paramount Studios tour, the LA Art Museum, Tar Pits, Griffith Observatory, or rent a car and drive up the coast a little bit. The Malibu Seafood Fresh Fish Market is very well known for good seafood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter