What to expect first day on med for DS 8 ADHD/ODD

pandora174

DIS Veteran
DS 8 was just diagnosed yesterday with ADHD & mild ODD. The neurologist put him on Synapse (sp?) 30mg. Started this morning. We already suspected as much. DS is currently receiving ST for language delay & he has been ruled out to have any sensory issues.

Summer we are having a pysch/evaluation to rule out any other disorders. So today after a big breakfast. First thing he put away the video games & said he doesn't want to play because it makes him lose his temper :thumbsup2 He's been talking my ear off though ! Just explaining every thought & feeling in his head & explaining why he's behaved in the past. Is this normal ?

He has a slight tummy ache but he advised it's no big deal. He just asked for lunch so appetite we'll see. But the talking is excessive but he tells me he feels he can control his temper & understand his feelings & hasn't fidgeted or gone from activity to another. He is also extremely polite :scared1:

Does it normally work this fast ? I feel I have a different child sitting next to me. So articulate & mature on on hand but a little chatter box on the other hand. But only with me not DH ?

I'm just sitting in shock !

I know with most ADHD and psych meds, you have to be on them for a little while for them to work (a couple weeks) as they are supposed to.

It may be that he knows this med is supposed to help, and he is trying. He may think the medication is already working that fast.

I advise asking his prescribing doctor to ask what to expect. You may have to tell your DS that the meds take time, especially if he finds it harder and harder to behave in the next few days and becomes frustrated.

It depends on the medication. I'm not familiar with the one you mentioned. Is is a stimulant or non-stimulant med? The stimulant meds tend to produce results much quicker than non-stimulant meds. A stimulant med will often produce an almost immediate change. Non-stimulants might take up to a couple weeks before the total effect is apparent.

As KPeveler mentioned, there could be a bit of a placebo effect going on where he's really trying hard to make it work. But there's also a chance that the med really is working that quickly. Or a combination of both.

Vyvanse is a stimulant. Today is day 2 & we are monitoring him closely. I've already let his teachers & ST know to keep an eye out for improvements and/or side effects. The Dr had told us it all depends on the child but the most common is loss of appetite & difficulty sleeping. Last night it was very hard to get him settled in to sleep & his appetite was ok.

Today we have some homework so I'll see how that goes & next week he has school & sports so that will be the big test. Hopefully this works for DS.

My son was put on Metadate for ADHD. He started the meds on a Sat. By Tuesday, he was moved up a level in math and reading. They didn't realize he was that smart because the ADHD was getting in the way. Yes, it can work that fast. Over the longer term, you will probably see even more improvement, but we were astounded by the almost instant noticeable changes in him. Congrats to you and him!

Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter